The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Beware, lassen hallmark (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
It’s not uncommon to copy stamp , just heads up might be good idea to get proof of purchase or other verification. I’m not saying they are being sold here but just a heads up .
Just try that’s all you can do , never give up .
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
750 Posts

Profile of karnak
Did Todd ever issue receipts?

He didn’t even like to send emails (which could be faked anyway, by a fraudster).

I’m the proud owner of a hallmarked Lassen Barber shell set, myself. I, of course, know that it’s the real deal, since I personally ordered it from Todd directly. But there’s no surviving documentation. So, with the hallmark thrown into doubt, I guess I can’t prove it.

Oh, well. Doesn’t matter, because I have no plans ever to sell it.

But I do see your point. I suppose authenticity would have to be somehow established independent of the hallmark.

But — lacking documentation — how?

(Wouldn’t its self-evident, unbeatably-superior quality essentially speak for itself?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Yep, Todd never gave a single receipt, other than a rare handwritten Cheers, Thanks, Todd on the back of his business card. The only way to prove it is a real Lassen is to trust a reputable buyer and seeing the obvious quality, which is important on his early stuff, before he started hallmarking inside the shells. I, for one, downloaded into Word documents from from his Coolotis site, when available, the post/pictures of purchases I made for my own documentation (and proof).
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
Mine from the early 2000's from him didn't even have a hallmark. I have a flipper and shell from him.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
No receipt then I guess you would have to trust the seller . Here in the Café with such a close nit family of magicians is I’m sure the best place to purchase items with less issues then on the market place or eBay .
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of shakuni
I received handwritten notes from him with the purchases, but no hallmark, or hallmark on only one part of gimmick. Although, with his gimmicks, if you take the coins in your hand, you will know instantly that they are from him.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
My set is also from before he hallmarked anything, just a business card with cheers, which is probably long gone now as I haven't come across it in a few years. I also have a flipper and shell in Liberty's along with the matching coins I got from him long ago.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Given the huge jump in price of anything made by Todd it would be no surprise if someone was faking his hallmark.

It happens with everything else, we know there are a large number of knockoffs in the magic trade and given the amount of money involved with Todd's stuff if it is not already being done it will be soon.

I have seen some shells with an asking price 4 or 5 times what a shell from Schoolcraft is today and I guess folks are paying it.
ddamen
View Profile
Regular user
Bay Area
140 Posts

Profile of ddamen
There’s definitely some shady stuff going on. Lots of alleged “lassens” circulating and his imperceptible hallmark is not hard to duplicate. Same stuff you see in the houdini world.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2023, TWOCAN wrote:
Here in the Café with such a close nit family of magicians is I’m sure the best place to purchase items with less issues then on the market place or eBay .

Many people have been scammed here on the Café down through the years. "Buyer Beware" posts do come up from time to time. So unless you know the seller, you still have to be careful. But you can always PM some members and see if they know the individual before making the purchase. That happened to me a few years ago. Some member had an item for sale that I wanted to purchase, but I had no clue who this member was. I sent out a post asking members if this member is a good seller. Immediately I got many replies back that he is a good seller. Bought the item and the item arrived as described. Better safe than sorry.

Tom
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
I also have several Lassen sets that don’t have hallmarks. I bought them directly from Todd.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Why would anyone duplicate a Lassen hallmark to sell a fake set? How many possible customers are there? The monetary return doesn’t seem worth the effort.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2023, tbaer wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2023, TWOCAN wrote:
Here in the Café with such a close nit family of magicians is I’m sure the best place to purchase items with less issues then on the market place or eBay .

Many people have been scammed here on the Café down through the years. "Buyer Beware" posts do come up from time to time. So unless you know the seller, you still have to be careful. But you can always PM some members and see if they know the individual before making the purchase. That happened to me a few years ago. Some member had an item for sale that I wanted to purchase, but I had no clue who this member was. I sent out a post asking members if this member is a good seller. Immediately I got many replies back that he is a good seller. Bought the item and the item arrived as described. Better safe than sorry.

Very true . I try buying from long time Café members with best reputation. If I’m not sure then I PM friends of mine in here for recommendations.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Some items were hallmarked more than once. Smile
(RAD Clad hallmark, LCC&N)

inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
As for provenance of some purchases.. Many paid by check, so if they kept their canceled checks or images of them, there may be something there.

His WordPress blog is also still online... Many folks "staked their claim" to items he was selling in the comments.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
TWOCAN: Just so it's clear, did you start this thread because you'vs seen or heard of some fake Lassen coins, or is this a more general warning of "it's theoretically possible", so "be informed and know your seller if you're buying something expensive"?

Because while I agree with the latter, there are a ton of other things that could also be mid-sold, and I have to second GJo that it seems like the effort to target audience seems pretty high, especially if.the quality isn't there so the fake is immediately obvious.

Folks should be informed, but I don't like spreading unnecessary FUD about specific makers. Any hallmark.could be forged.
The better general-purpose advice is possibly: if you're buying something expensive, make sure to PayPal or some other form of payment that gives the buyer (and seller) some protection, rather than using Venmo or sending via Friends and Family.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
What he said
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I posted this a while ago on my FB feed:

Some people know this. Some people don't. I'm saying this because I knew Todd and I'm sure he'd want people, especially his best customers to know, for a FACT Todd Lassen's "makers mark" is missing.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I have a decent collection of both marked and unmarked gaffus from Todd- usually always enclosed the business card signed “Cheers, Todd”. Regardless, I will never sell anything Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2023, Craig Ousterling wrote:
I posted this a while ago on my FB feed:

Some people know this. Some people don't. I'm saying this because I knew Todd and I'm sure he'd want people, especially his best customers to know, for a FACT Todd Lassen's "makers mark" is missing.

That's sad/unfortunate.
Hopefully it isn't in unscrupulous hands.