The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Favourite Pocket Puzzles (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
I carry a lot of puzzles with me. I jingle and rattle when I walk.

When presented properly, mechanical puzzles can intrigue, enchant, and enlighten. I make a point of not using puzzles as ‘instruments of torture’ — rather as a way of sharing ingenuity. I like to start with puzzles that can be solved relatively swiftly before moving on to more elaborate pieces.

I’d hate to have to choose one puzzle. But I’ve noticed that many of my favourites are two-piece puzzles:

Trick padlocks
Pyramid puzzles: the two-piece pyramid and the caged pyramid.
The Snapper (obviously a bit of a ‘trolling piece’, but always gets an energised response if handled sensitively)
Nail puzzles [preferably large ones, less ‘fiddly’]
Horseshoe puzzles

Something about their apparent simplicity means they are a pleasure to share. People immediately get what they’re about. The pyramid and metal puzzles also tap into people’s nostalgia.

What are some of your favourite pocket puzzles?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'll list them and you let me know if you need more information. I perform magic in restaurants and puzzles are a big part of that.

Twin Tangle
Repeat Square
T-Puzzle
YOT
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I like performing coin and matchstick puzzles mixed in with my close-up magic. You can then perform tricks like the Jumping Matchstick and "The Lynn Pennies" with the same props.

I do like the Yoshimoto Cube (invented by Yoshimoto Naoki in 1971) because it can be presented similarly to Lubor Fiedler's Gozinta Boxes. In fact, you could combine the two illusions.

Marty

P.S. I mentioned this thread in my most recent Ruseletter update.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2023, martydoesmagic wrote:
I like performing coin and matchstick puzzles mixed in with my close-up magic. You can then perform tricks like the Jumping Matchstick and "The Lynn Pennies" with the same props.

I do like the Yoshimoto Cube (invented by Yoshimoto Naoki in 1971) because it can be presented similarly to Lubor Fiedler's Gozinta Boxes. In fact, you could combine the two illusions.

Marty

P.S. I mentioned this thread in my most recent Ruseletter update.
Nick Einhorn has a physical version of the missing dollar available
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S26069
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Thanks, Wravyn. Hidden deep in the Ruseletter update for August was a link to Nick's trick, based on a similar one by Daryl, which is fantastic. Here's the trailer for it, for those who might not be familiar with it.

This is a great example of how a puzzle can strengthen a magical effect, and how a magical effect can make a puzzle, well, more puzzling!

Marty