The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Magic Performance Table Platform & Storage Solution... from IKEA?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I've stumbled upon an unconventional product that just might solve some of your magician's woes.
The Elloven monitor stand from IKEA can be repurposed as a magic demonstration table and storage that functions much like the Mikame Demonstration table.

"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
That’s a nice discovery!! Thanks for sharing.

I’d be very tempted to customise with contact paper, with wood effect on the outside and flock paper inside. Perhaps some extra spongy filling for a nice servante?

That overhanging mat makes me a little nervous…

I found the shots of you arranging your props strangely soothing, especially the fit of the cards and the shells.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Performing in the IKEA Caféteria after schlepping through the maze: cups and balls using meatballs?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Nice. Thanks for sharing the find
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2023, Dr Dee wrote:
That’s a nice discovery!! Thanks for sharing.

I’d be very tempted to customise with contact paper, with wood effect on the outside and flock paper inside. Perhaps some extra spongy filling for a nice servante?

That overhanging mat makes me a little nervous…

I found the shots of you arranging your props strangely soothing, especially the fit of the cards and the shells.

Haha.. thanks for the kind words. One this I forgot to mention in the video is that the stand also comes in BLACK. Smile
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Such a cool find!

I, at first, thought this was made of the paperish type material that most Ikea items are. I've had bad experiences with that in the past. It is not very long lasting. However, after reviewing the ikea site, I learned this is made of steel. And the drawer is bamboo. Can you speak to how sturdy is the steel?

The price point cannot be beat either! I am tempted to take a trip to my local Ikea and pick one up.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, spudster85 wrote:
Such a cool find!

I, at first, thought this was made of the paperish type material that most Ikea items are. I've had bad experiences with that in the past. It is not very long lasting. However, after reviewing the ikea site, I learned this is made of steel. And the drawer is bamboo. Can you speak to how sturdy is the steel?

The price point cannot be beat either! I am tempted to take a trip to my local Ikea and pick one up.

Yes, it's metal. The metal is not very thick, but it's supposed to hold a monitor (20kg). Should be more than enough for playing cards and cups and balls etc. Smile
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
That’s a bonus. So extra robust and magnetic? That opens up some possibilities.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
It looks like it is a similar thickness as say a filing cabinet metal. Which, should be enough for any close up magic I'd be performing. I've added picking one up to my things to do this weekend. Thank you for the tip!
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
That sounds like a great weekend plan! Let us know how you get on. I realised from yin_howe’s vid how much I like seeing how we arrange our props! The ultimate magic jigsaw…
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2023, Dr Dee wrote:
That sounds like a great weekend plan! Let us know how you get on. I realised from yin_howe’s vid how much I like seeing how we arrange our props! The ultimate magic jigsaw…

Maybe I'll try to do more arranging videos. haha... There is a video on my channel of the TCC organizer where I do almost the same arranging/organizing thing. Smile
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, Dr Dee wrote:
That’s a bonus. So extra robust and magnetic? That opens up some possibilities.

Being attracted to a magnet didn't even occur to me!
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Picked one of these up today. I went with the black instead of white. I spent tonight blacking out the interior of the drawer and felting the bottom. It is actually pretty cool how much can actually fit in this!

Already emailed Patrick for a custom cut pad for the top. Really love how this came together!
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
The blackened drawer and felt

Click here to view attached image.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Be still my beating heart! That’s top-drawer work, Spudster. Very pleasing indeed.

Doesn’t finding a new way of organising our materials feel good? Helps to see things differently.

Thanks again for the discovery, Yin Howe!
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I've probably added and rearranged the drawer a hundred times already. In boxes, the decks of cards can only be single stacked vertically. I was double stacking and they were getting hung up.

I cannot thank Yin Howe enough for discovering this! I had been thinking about something like this, in this size, and everything lined up perfectly!
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
I cannot thank Yin Howe enough for discovering this! I had been thinking about something like this, in this size, and everything lined up perfectly!

Sometimes our wishes are granted…. Hooray for our magical universe!

I have the urge to have a good sort-out. Whilst wishing for a cabinet that can hold and display my magical prosthetics…
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
994 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2023, spudster85 wrote:
I've probably added and rearranged the drawer a hundred times already. In boxes, the decks of cards can only be single stacked vertically. I was double stacking and they were getting hung up.

AWESOME!
Ahh... the 2 decks stacked on top of one another was a tight fit to begin with, so the thickeness of the felt pushes it over.

You're welcome, I was very happy with this find too.
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
130 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I must have been really tired when I was finishing it up, because I was wondering how I had two decks stacked at first, but then couldn't do it. Duh, the felt I added! lol I may change that out for a thinner felt to get the storage space for two decks.

It looks like my mat will be here Monday. Cannot wait!