The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I want to see the manager! :: Something Sinister (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Dear Magic Café movers and shakers,

Just wondering if I can request a new forum??

I was encouraged to get into magic from a very young age by my lovely parents because I was a very clumsy left-hander. Were I born a little later in time, I might be diagnosed as dyspraxic.

Conjuring was immensely helpful, though I am still very left-hand dominant. I quite enjoy the challenge, and can always rely on the craft to help my dexterity/ ambidexterity improve. Some moves I’ve learnt to do right-handed, some moves I do left-handed. At best, I can do both. Learning from books, videos, and fellow magicians often requires ‘translation’.

I am aware there are some high-profile ‘lefties’ out there, past and present e.g. Duke Stern, Bill Malone, Marc Oberon. Possibly David Penn and Gary Jones? I’d love to see a proper register.

It would be great to have a forum dedicated to the left-hand way. Not to be exclusive, but to swap tips, share trivia, celebrate handedness. Topit tips. Special passes. Reverse handlings….

Possible menu titles: Southpaw Magic or The Left Hand of Legerdemain.

Thanks for your consideration!

The Sinister Dr Dee
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
128 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I too am a lefty. I will admit that it does get confusing at times reading or watching a performance and having to transcribe to the opposite hand. Sometimes down right impossible. Not sure if there are many tricks out there performed for a lefty dominate, but I would certainly be willing to contribute!

Side note, I also play guitar. That I had to learn to play righty.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Yay, Spudster85, fellow lefty! All that transcription has surely done our neurons the world of good.
I’ve never picked up a guitar. Or a lute. Must be a good way of bringing your right hand/arm/side to life?
If I remember correctly, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, and Paul McCartney all played/play left-handed.
And Slim Whitman. He wasn’t a lefty, but lost two fingers on his right hand and had to switch.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Growing up left-handed I certainly understand. Smile

Your wish has been granted! Smile

See the category SPECIAL INTERESTS.

You are welcome. Smile

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks