The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Magic with Insects ???? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
I use insects in my magic.

My own ‘Three Fly’ doesn’t use coins [confession, it doesn’t use real flies, either]. I’ve a routine where a [real] stick insect finds the chosen card; this so amazed a participant that he passed out (that’s taking the Art of Astonishment too far). I’ve made fortune-telling devices employing mealworms and insect proverbs. I’ve also worked with Mexican Jumping Beans, crickets, and ants.

Remarkably, on three occasions I’ve had a fly land on my hand while performing with plastic flies — strangely docile flies that I have incorporated into the routine. Participants have been blown away (me too, but I remained calm and considered. What a gift). That’s proper ‘winging it’ I guess!

I always treat my insects with care and respect. No extermination or squishing as you might find in a comedic packet trick. Participants seem charmed, and I like to think it opens eyes to the strange beauty of the Universe.

I avoid spiders as there’s nothing worse than having to calm a phobic participant.

I was prompted to share after reading a post about Nick Trost’s packet trick Fly Circus. It set me thinking about the insect/arachnid effects that are out there. There should be at least two categories; real and pretend. Understandably, the majority are ‘unreal’. Off the top of my head:

Real:
Paul Harris features a moth in Art of Astonishment. And he presented a dealer item using ladybirds/ ladybugs.
I’ve seen a flea circus using real fleas.
David Blaine revitalised a chilled-out fly on the street…
In another category [hidden insects], there’s a gruesome Victorian toy — a hollow celluloid pig into which a house fly is introduced [prior to the demonstration]. The movement of the prisoner fly causes the pig to oink…

Unreal [in varying degrees of verisimilitude]:
There are dealer items with a spider that appears on the back of a poor victim’s hand. ‘Boris?’
More than one packet trick involves flies [and their ultimate demise]
Ken Brooke / Ace Place had a card routine featuring a fly called Benjamin.
Flea circuses that employ trickery [eg. threads and magnets]
Bob Ostin’s ‘Flugelbug’
Ian Adair’s Butterfly Boomerangs
Mascot Moth

Sorry for this slightly lazy top-of-head list, but I’m wondering if any of you bright sparks can add to it? Or, as I’ve seen in past lurks, perhaps some mages have already compiled a bibliography? I’d very happily go off and do some more grounded research if anyone here shares my enthusiasm.

I’d love to see a celebration of conjuring with insects!

Yours entomologically,

Dr Dee
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
It seems as if I had seen a snowstorm in china style trick which had a butterfly dancing/flying above the fan. Of course, this was a stage and not up close.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Old throwaway joke for your insect magic = Have you ever seen an elephant fly? I've got one right here = performer produces a GIANT zipper. (Remember, all the world loves a pun.) Smile
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Julie, you get extra points for your extra brilliant/terrible pun. With a sight-gag kicker. Nice.

Wravyn, this rings a bell. You’ve also reminded me of Robert-Houdin’s Orange Tree illusion, where a pair of butterflies are seen raising the foulard. What a cute sight that must be.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2023, Julie wrote:
Old throwaway joke for your insect magic = Have you ever seen an elephant fly? I've got one right here = performer produces a GIANT zipper. (Remember, all the world loves a pun.) Smile

Julie, strange how things work out…. I’ve been having a go at a new ‘hole’ act, standing on the shoulders of Billy McComb. It’s on the the Paul Daniels Magic Show, 1982. Your great/daft pun has sort of derailed this today. I’m now thinking of a pun-filled yet magical entomology act, where I share a number of absurd insect-based exhibits. The Elephant Fly would be marvellous. I wouldn’t unzip it, though (family show).

A ‘fruit fly’ would be an opportunity to present my levitating strawberry interlude. ‘Here’s a fruit fly.’ (Opens box, strawberry ascends).

Thank you, Julie, for the inspiration. I’ll let you know if this gets off the drawing board!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember Billy's Whole/Hole routine. I think it would "fly" today. You can always drop by "Apple Bees" for lunch. A "Butter Fly" has certain possiblilities, too.

Okay, I'll stop (for now).

Julie
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2023, Julie wrote:
I remember Billy's Whole/Hole routine. I think it would "fly" today. You can always drop by "Apple Bees" for lunch. A "Butter Fly" has certain possiblilities, too.

Okay, I'll stop (for now).

Julie

You’re the pest… Thanks for being a noble assist-ant. I’m gnat joking.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
So, a nice coincidence. I’m reading Peter Warlock’s Pentagram. Volume 2, No.2, p.14. Warlock reviews Magic with Small Apparatus by Jules Dhotel:

“…the tricks with the flies we found most nauseating.”

I’ve had this book on my wishlist for some time. Now I really want it!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Anyone remember Docc Hillford's fly routine (Renfield)? Deliciously Disgusting! Smile
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2023, Julie wrote:
Anyone remember Docc Hillford's fly routine (Renfield)? Deliciously Disgusting! Smile

That’s another one for the bibliography!

I had a flashback to Barry and Stuart doing horrid stuff with flies and maggots. Will investigate.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
There certainly seems to be a bias towards using flies when it comes to insect magic!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
And lest we forget the Fool Us duo of Penn and Teller
https://youtu.be/uBRETpVkhNk
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
That is quite a find, Wravyn!!! Quite suspenseful to watch, knowing the context. Straight onto the insect list ????
bubbles
View Profile
New user
The 5th Dimension
99 Posts

Profile of bubbles
Dr Dee, is your whole act insect magic or do you throw in a bug routine here and there?
Love it!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Dr Dee, perhaps not the same way, yet an unexpected production of insects? For some reason, I can almost picture you incorporating entomology flashcards, https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/biology/entomology

After removing the cards from a box and sharing your story of the cards, you present a bit of insect pasteboard chicanery. Alas, when done, you open the box to put the cards away (or have your spectator put them away?), low and behold there are now living insects residing within.
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, bubbles wrote:
Dr Dee, is your whole act insect magic or do you throw in a bug routine here and there?
Love it!

Bubbles, I cast my magic nets wide! Different aspects of my love of trickery: definitely strong love of insects in magic, some playful, some gentle [awe-inspiring nature] and some grotesque. All complemented by other departments and other acts — apparatus, gags, impossible objects, topology, classics, puzzles (you know the sort of thing!!)… All in the service or entertainment, wonderment, and appreciation of life!

It’s rather lovely emerging from the shadows to ponder with my fellow mages! Thanks for your blast of enthusement-energy-bubbles!!!
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Dr Dee, perhaps not the same way, yet an unexpected production of insects? For some reason, I can almost picture you incorporating entomology flashcards, https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/biology/entomology

After removing the cards from a box and sharing your story of the cards, you present a bit of insect pasteboard chicanery. Alas, when done, you open the box to put the cards away (or have your spectator put them away?), low and behold there are now living insects residing within.

Cor, brilliant!! I do use charts/ engravings of arthropods to add to the experiences. I’ve collected and utilised books, educational posters, proverbs (‘A closed mouth catches no flies’…)

But I’ve not considered the materialisation of the real deal from the materials. Thanks for your lively neuronic firing!

Must confess I’m a bit haunted by that P&T Letterman routine….
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Since you are haunted by that routine, perhaps you would like to read what Penn Jillette shared.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/opinions/......dex.html
Dr Dee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Dr Dee
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Since you are haunted by that routine, perhaps you would like to read what Penn Jillette shared.
https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/opinions/......dex.html

Wow, that’s quite a back story. Accounts for the sadism. And the hissing roach finale!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I also remember a sponge ladybugs... https://youtu.be/RdoW_Wub95I

I do not see these available anymore, but one could cut some sponge balls in half, use some black sharpie to make dots and create their own lady bugs, also, if one is good at crafting something from a sponge ball, perhaps use a purple sponge ball and make it into a flower(?).
I imagine a story about the lady bug going from here to there... the spectator is given the flower to hold and the lady bug... you get the idea.
But how to do the ending? Do you remember the nursery rhyme?

http://nurseryrhymesforbabies.com/the-hi......ladybug/