The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Vanishing dwarf - copyright-free version? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
The disappearing dwarf is a cool puzzle or magic trick where 3 cardboard pieces are put together and then show 15 dwarfs. Then 2 card pieces are swapped and suddenly only 14 dwarfs are seen. I am looking for a copyright-free version of this puzzle, so you can print it out for other people. Does anyone know if there is such a copyright-free version on the internet? Or is there somewhere cheap to buy the rights to use the trick in this way?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/alex......pictures
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I am not aware of any 'public domain'/non-copyrighted versions. However, some versions of these geometrical illusions are already outside the terms of legal copyright. For example, Sam Loyd's Famous GET OFF THIS EARTH puzzle was originally copyrighted in 1896 and he passed away in 1911. However, by today's standards the depictions may be viewed negatively so wouldn't recommend using it outside of historical context.

It would take a little detective works to find others outside of copyright. For example, the Pat Patterson/P. Howard Lyons/Bill Elliott Vanishing Leprechaun was copyrighted around 1969 so might be getting close if it isn't already. The application of U.S. copyright laws to works prior to January 1, 1978 are a bit convoluted. And that one may be under Canadian copyright. If so, it would be based on 50 or 70 years after the death of the originator; meaning it could have a decade or so of copyright protection left.

There are some versions which have been published in books for use by performers. For example, Abbott's Magic included their SKULLDUGGERY vanishing/appearing skull version of the 49/48 puzzle in The Abbott Magic Collection Volume 6: The Halloween Magic. Those should be fair game for use as a performer including give aways, though not necessarily to sell as your own.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thank you very much. Really interesting.

Nevertheless so far I do not see the solution for my case.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Another option would be to reach out to the copyright owner of an existing one to see if they will give you permission to use. A popular one these days is the Fiendish Football Team Illusion by Murderous Maths. I think they only released it as an online moving image. So they may be ok with you using it in a paper form, especially if you include credits which will drive people to their site. See here: http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/games/1213.htm
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thank you very much! I just sent them an email.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I have been told by someone connected with the website that unfortunately he does not know who created the "Extra Man Puzzle", but he is sure that I can use the puzzle. Maybe I will. Below is a link to this puzzle. In order to not possibly get in trouble later, it would be nice to know who created the puzzle (and to contact that person). Does anyone know? Or maybe someone knows another copyright-free version?

https://gpuzzles.com/mind-teasers/extra-man/
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
The person from the website gave me this interesting link about the vanishing puzzle:

A selection of vanishing puzzles

https://www.marianotomatis.it/blog.php?p......=english

And here is a discussion about one of these puzzles in the GeniiFORUM:

The Vanishing Leprechaun

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=300
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Here are some additional ones to investigate.

Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
134 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
The principle is the same for all these so, if you can think up something new, you could hire a graphic design artist to draw one that's uniquely yours.

Just show him or her the video Frank posted. It shows the wide variety of ideas possible.

The hard part may becoming up with something that hasn't been done before!
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
499 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thank you all for your really big help!

About 30 years ago I had the then in magician circles well known graphic artist Ed Harris draw this puzzle with his famous smiling bunnies for me (still love these bunnies). Maybe I can still find the puzzle in the basement. Otherwise, I'll hire a graphic artist at some point if a good free solution can't be found.

Thanx again.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I still can't figure these out... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Oops, I see that one was already posted.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember MsDonald's or Jack In The Box (or?) giving their version away free as a premium for kids.

The figure was something pertinent to their brand.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Have collected a few versions over the years. Have a couple of others kicking around in addition to these. In the 10th Anniversary Genii magazine (under Kaufman's ownership) there was an insert with a version featuring artwork from Jim Steinmeyer (Vanishing Rabbit). Folks were free to use for promotional purposes. On the right is a Christmas Tree version I produced with a partner many years ago for a Mall promotion. The Mac King version is fun! Smile