The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: How do you carry everything? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
I been thinking about getting into table hopping from my shows. my question is how does everyone carry everything?
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Pockets work well.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
It’s taken me years to get things situated for an efficient, organized, logical retrieval system of items. Pocket management is tricky. The best investment I’ve made by far is a High Caliber Magic holster. Unfortunately Joel seems to have stopped manufacturing them, but second hand holsters still pop up periodically.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Over many years of table hopping in restaurants I now carry the following.

An ordinary deck of cards
Rope for Professor Nightmare (Fiber Optics)
One or sometimes two other tricks which rotate week to week

The deck of cards gives me plenty of variety if I end up spending more time at a table.

The rest of my props are in the trunk of my car and can be retrieved if for some reason I want to do a specific trick that I don't have on my person. For instance, a guest may request a specific trick, or I may have a large table that requires a trick that plays bigger.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
If you have 10 tables to get around and you do 2 short tricks at each, it will take you over an hour to visit them all. At first, you will want to carry more items than you will use - the classic wisdom is three sets of 3.
Even without a jacket, you have 4 pants pockets for 2 tricks each, then add a belt pouch for a deck and packet tricks. Attach your keys and phone to your belt to keep them out of the way, and you are ready to entertain for hours.
I often finish without using some tricks, but it is sensible to have a reserve.
The Fibre Optics ropes get a pocket to themselves - such a great trick.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I have a metal case I bring with me. I then load up my pockets. Pants have 4 pockets, jacket has 3.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1358 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I am mainly a kids entertainer but I do lots of strolling close-up for kids. I don't really do fancy formal events, etc, so I always wear a buskers pouch with lots of pockets, I can carry everything but the kitchen sink. I don't wear a a suit jacket, but I usually wear a vest. It's not going to win me a fashion award, but it's very practical, nobody cares, it's a tool of the trade. If I wore a suit or did formal events it would look bad and I wouldn't use it. You can use it for switches and ditches also, kind of like a topit or servante.
I knew a guy who used a briefcase table with a nice cloth around it, with his name on it, he carried it around and had his own little table top to perform on, and stored his stuff inside.
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
To carry stuff to a restaurant, I have a fake leather kinda bag that holds 6 decks, plus some other little stuff, like a sharpie and a small close up mat. Then, I work from the pockets of my suit, usually invisible deck 2x in either the inside or outside pockets, one marked deck, and one stacked deck in the other pockets.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sounds like a pro to me...

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2023, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Over many years of table hopping in restaurants I now carry the following.

An ordinary deck of cards
Rope for Professor Nightmare (Fiber Optics)
One or sometimes two other tricks which rotate week to week

The deck of cards gives me plenty of variety if I end up spending more time at a table.

The rest of my props are in the trunk of my car and can be retrieved if for some reason I want to do a specific trick that I don't have on my person. For instance, a guest may request a specific trick, or I may have a large table that requires a trick that plays bigger.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JayCee0919
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JayCee0919
My wife is my "Magic Sherpa" and usually accompanies me to gigs so she holds a bunch of stuff for me. Easy to introduce her as my "lovely assistant" Smile
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
Depends on your style and chops. I dress well so I don't want bulky pockets. I also have a skinny frame which helps hide some pocket bulges. My EDC is a standard deck of cards (maybe with a duplicate), load wallet, Peter Turner's Fraud, Loops Legends, and my business card with a prediction on it.

For my regular restaurant gig I carry these organized by pocket:

Left Jacket-Blue Bikes
Right Jacket-Sponge Ball routine: 3 sponge balls, goshman's sponge square
Right Pant-Joshua Jay's Phantom Deck
Pant Back Right-Load wallet and EDC above
Pant Left-Lighter + Sticky Notes
Back Pant Left-Jumbo sponge ball in back pocket plus phone (with mentalism apps)
Left Inside-Double Cross, Normal Sharpie, Heat Vanishing Ink Pen, Business Cards

I leave my right inside pocket available for a jumbo card reveal, packet trick, etc depending on how I feel that day.
My breast pocket takes tips.
I cut the lining in my left jacket pocket allowing it to work like a forcing bag. Sometimes I throw a one way force deck in there, othertimes just some extra materials (NFC, billets, etc)

On the whole this allows me to maintain a sleek figure and still carry 2 hours worth of material.
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
This company makes clothing with absurd amounts of pockets that are nonetheless well-engineered to look natural:

https://www.scottevest.com

I'd agree, though, for table-hopping, you only need three or four effects, tops.
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Thought I'd add this: Scottevest's blazer's large tablet pocket works as an Ammar-design Topit

probably also true of some of the windbreaker and vest designs
Cread
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin
4 Posts

Profile of Cread
I wear a a fanny pack as a cross body.

This definitely isn't for everyone, but if you have a style where you can pull it off, it's wonderful.
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
93 Posts

Profile of raether
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, Avocat wrote:
This company makes clothing with absurd amounts of pockets that are nonetheless well-engineered to look natural:

https://www.scottevest.com

I'd agree, though, for table-hopping, you only need three or four effects, tops.

Just came across this thread. The ScotteVest thing looks amazing.
Helmut Raether
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If I have unsightly bulges in my pockets, that won't work. I may carry something that doesn't look good in my pocket, in my hand. But everything thing else must be tiny or stowable under my jacket in a place that doesn't cause a bulge. I learned several routines with tiny props because they were practical and worth a spot in a set. I don't like to carry more than 3 sets of two routines each.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
I have a little over the shoulder bag that carries everything I need. It's not too big but holds a good amount, few packs of cards, some rubber bands, ITR, things of that nature.
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
You need to try and practice for pocket management. It should become your second nature because you don t want any hesitation during performance.
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
One thing that might make peoples pocket management slightly easier is the JOL Packet Trick Wallet.
I actually use it as my EDC. Its small but carries quite a lot.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
After looking at the OPs web page, I would venture to say that everything needed for his table-hopping fits into the pockets. Pen/pencil, pad of paper or 'billet' material, maybe coins, pendulum, and/or a deck of cards, wallet?