The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Helping hands :: Men as assistants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
davetolomy
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth
28 Posts

Profile of davetolomy
Quote:
(All of the above equally applies to lesbian females as well!)

:D I'd watch!
Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
"They'll be muscular"

Wow let us know how they fit into the Zig Zag!

-Jared
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Male assistants... I say yes. I've worked with them! Also, Andre Kole does a nice bit where he turns a male into a female. If it makes sense in your show, do it! Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The magic of Helene is one of most successful magic acts in the Philadelphia area, and Helene has used her husband as her lovely assistant for at least 20 years.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Your audience needs to have the final say. The fact that they are men should make little or no difference. The question is how you use them. The audience either will or will not be entertained by this aproach. I wouldn't begin to say which it will or should be.
justmatt
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of justmatt
I think its a great idea! Like many posts before me....it's all about the entertainment! If its done well, the audiences these days will not care about who is in the box!(Look at how much conversation is going on about Chris Angel sawing himself in half (with the camera trick...but that's ANOTHER thread! LOL!).

I know that I created a Yahoo group called "Male Assistants in Magic". Whether people agree with the idea or not...it is a strong group with a lot of participation.....Strangely enough..many of the men who "volunteer" to be an assistant or talk about it are straight.....It just doesn't matter about the sexual orientation. Again, if people like the presentation, they will watch! Just my two cents! Smile
martinthepirate
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of martinthepirate
I have been intrigued by the idea of using male assistants in illusions ever since I saw the host of a children's tv-show getting sawed in half many years ago. I just love the idea of a guy taking the role of the damsel in distress, and if that guy really is an "eye catcher" and "muscular", that's even better...Smile
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
Jeff Hobson's entire show, persona, and act is played by a stereotypical gay character. The funny part, he isn't. He's married with kids. Boy, he sure knows how to bring down the house. Just make sure "you" feel comfortable on stage and the audience will respect and appreciate whatever you do.

-Matt
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I have read that Hobson did a show where his opening joke was: "Anybody in the audience gay?" One raised his hand. Jeff took out a toy gun and shot him. Then he said, "Anyone else?"

Is this true???
topandball
View Profile
Regular user
New England
132 Posts

Profile of topandball
I just saw David Copperfield's show tonight. First thing I want to say is, "Go see it!" It's REALLY fantastic. Second, most of his assistants on stage were men. He didn't do tricks "to" them; they functioned more like stagehands, you could say. They had some VERY funny bits they did, too. Really entertaining.
"Gamblin' Sam from Birmingham, I learned this game in Vietnam"
R.I.P. Haynes, the ORIGINAL "Gamblin' Sam"
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Here is a great use of a male assistant in the slicer. Great set-up. Great performance.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=38UIf7fxwp8
Angel Freire
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
72 Posts

Profile of Angel Freire
Lothar , no matter what other magicians think ,if your audience enjoys the show and it works for you then use male assistants. Some magicians don't use assistants at all.In the end your audience is coming to see you not the assistants. If it fits your show and your style use it.
Angel
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Live magic at the end of the day is about theatre. If you play your cards right, are well prepared, and have an entertaining show, you'll be successful no matter what sex is helping out. As already stated by many, this is for your audience, not your fellow magicians.

So, if you have a unique idea, by all means, work with it! It will always fare better than the same old clap-trap we see day in and day out...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
So, I remember asking about being a male assistant years ago. I still want to be a male assistant (At least for a while), and while trying to find stuff out I joined a yahoo group for male assistants. Wow... SOOOOOOO not what I was looking for, if you catch my drift.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
justmatt
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of justmatt
I'm VERY confused by your posting Alex! that's MY yahoo group you are talking about and you seemed to enjoy it VERY much (if you catch MY drift!)
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
I thought it was gonna be more like a bunch of help wanted ads. You know?

I mean, I know I'm not bursting with professional experience as a helper, but I was expecting it to be mostly magicians and assistants talking about business stuff. Even if it's less assistant and more good natured box mover who has to clean up messes and make excuses and be the one to say thank you when the magician's in a hurry, I just wanna do something.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
In terms of the idea of female magicians using male volunteers/assistants, I've recently watched Oz magicians Tim Ellis and Sue-Anne Webster and there are clips of her cutting a bloke in half (might be Tim I can't tell). I think they are partners I don't know them so well but its pretty cool seeing the reversal of gender roles. She looks pretty good with a chainsaw.
satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
Make sure you make him wear something nice Smile. I almost feel sad for him already.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Yep, it's me she's slicing through!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SNz3d1TFSws

And she LOVES doing that trick! (You should ask her about the time the chain came off the saw while she was cutting through me during a show! Or the time she used a client's chainsaw and sliced through the metal table causing red hot sparks to burn through my clothes! She LOVES doing that trick!)

On a side note, I was an assistant to Terry Dansic back in 1981 in 'Star Magic Show'. I played his "apprentice" and was Zig Zagged among many other things.

Also, I had Michael Boyd play my assistant in a show called 'Pure Magic', and he played a role that was sort of like my butler rather than my assistant.

I think it's very important that your assistant, whether male of female, has a character or at least some kind of identity that takes them beyond the standard two dimensional helper.
justmatt
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of justmatt
Any video of the zigzag performance available, Tim? Would love to see it!! Smile