The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Missing Bob Cassidy (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
330 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Yes, I agree. I, too, would love to see all his works in a set of volumes. What I want is Bob's chapter on Pocket Writing in Art of Mentalism volume 1. I've been looking all over for it lately but the ebooks for sale do not include it. Apparently, it's only available in the Collector's Workshop edition.
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Here's some Bob Cassidy inspired fan fiction that I wrote a while ago, hope you enjoy ??

The following short story evolved out of my attempt to come up with my own presentation for Bob Cassidy's "Name/Place" routine.

Hope you enjoy

Time And Place

A Mentalism Short Story / Name Place Presentation

"Get your fat ass in there before it's too late for you to fit through that door,
Ricardo“, Mr. Cassidy snarked at a roughly 265-pound sophomore leaning against the
classroom’s door frame, a half-eaten Snickers bar in his right hand.

"I really think you shouldn’t talk like that to your students" Ricardo replied.
Mr. Cassidy squeezed past him and set a leather bag down on the teacher's desk.

"And I really think..." mimicked Mr. Cassidy Ricardo's way of talking, “...you
shouldn't be eating that crap anymore, like you promised me you would, if I got you to
the next grade, and here we are…“

Mr. Cassidy was the only one who dared to speak to Ricardo this way and Mr. Cassidy
spoke to everyone that way and surpringly also got away with it.

He had this gift.

Being the strictest but also the most popular teacher at his school, with the students as
well as with his colleague, it was as if he could read minds, and in fact this reputation
preceded him.

I watched Ricardo sit down in a chair way too small for his size and Mr. Cassidy began
the lesson.

Her name was Kayleigh.
She was the prettiest girl in class, and she was sitting to my left. However, she only had
eyes for Matt, who sat to my right and gave Kayleigh the same languishing looks that she gave
him.

It was clear that the two were head over heels in love with each other. They were
throwing air kisses and forming unspoken, silent words and phrases with their lips, seemingly
trying to make up the time and place for a date after school.
As if they couldn’t talk to each other in the hallway after class….

"Can't you guys just talk to each other in the hallway after my class?", Mr. Cassidy barked at
the two of them.

I had to grin involuntarily....
"And you ? What are you grinning at?", his eyes now fixed on me.
„Nothing, Mr. Cassidy… It's just that I was thinking ..." I started when he
interrupted me, “That's the problem, less thinking and more listening from now on...
And to you lovers, plan your teenage pregnancy outside of my class....So, where was
I?"

Mr. Cassidy turned to the blackboard and continued with the lesson.

I was following Mr. Cassidy, when the lovers next to me began writing something on
small pieces of paper, folded them several times, and gestured at me to receive the other one’s
written message and pass it on. Reluctantly, I took on the task of messenger, and the moment
I held both pieces of paper in my hand, I felt Mr. Cassidy's penetrating gaze resting on us.

"What is it now again? Are we secretly writing love letters to each other,
huh? And you are helping them, too?", Mr. Cassidy reared up in front of me.
„So, either you're bored with the subject, or what would be MUCH worse, my
person. Give me that..."

He held out his hand to me and I hesitantly put one of the two folded pieces of paper
into it. He held it between the tip of his fingers, and rummaged out a lighter from his trouser
pocket.

“Normally I would read this aloud in front of all the other students, but I'll spare
us that this time and simply burn it.“

He lit the piece of paper over the classroom’s sink, and we watched it burn in his hand
before he finally threw it in and turned on the faucet.
Ricardo commented this with „Fact is, you’re burning your fingers… and besides,
I'm pretty sure that it is against federal law, to light up a fire in a closed school building.“

Ricardo was obviously happy to inform his teacher.
Mr. Cassidy gave Ricardo an annoyed look.

"Thank you, Retardo. I’ll keep that in mind…" and then back to me „… you have
another written message like that, hidden in your hand, right?"
"Yes..." I admitted meekly, and held out the second piece of paper to him, expecting
him to burn that one, too.

"You know what? Keep it or throw it away, it doesn’t matter. I know what's
written on it anyway…“, he said.

Ricardo laughed and looked around at his classmates, “You can't know that, how
could you?"
„Yes, I do, and I can prove it..." Mr Cassidy replied.
He took what looked like a stack of small sheets of paper from his trouser's pocket and
looked at me and my two seat neighbors inquiringly.

Examining us with some kind of X-ray vision, he eventually scribbled something on the
first piece of paper in his hand, crossed it out, and scribbled something on the next piece.
"It's about a very specific time…“, he murmured more to himself but loud enough
for everyone to hear.

I saw Kayleigh’s eyebrow raised.
„Here, Ricardo, make yourself useful and hold onto this...but don't look at it, yet“
Ricardo held the piece of paper, a skeptical and amused look on his face.

"I committed myself and wrote down over there, what is written on that note
you’re holding, now give it to me..."

I handed Mr. Cassidy the remaining folded piece of paper in my hand. He unfolded it
and read aloud:
"5:30 p.m…. Ricardo, what did I write down ?"

The entire class held its breath…

"5:30 p.m., Mr. Cassidy“, Ricardo explained incredulously.
Kayleigh's jaw dropped. “That’s exactly the time I was thinking of…“, she said in
disbelief.

A murmur went through the rows of classmates.
"What did I tell you, guys?“ Mr. Cassidy asked.

"That's all ********!“, Ricardo shouted into the room. "You just guessed or somehow
happened to read what was on it. There is no such thing as mind reading! If you really
can read minds, what was on the other piece of paper? The one that is burned now?"

"Yeah, right! What was on my note?“ Matt asked.
"Well, now that it's burned, there's no proof of it, and you'll probably just say
that I'm wrong".

Matt quickly scribbled something in his notebook, "Here, I wrote it down again.
What am I thinking about right now?"
Mr. Cassidy fixed Matt for a few seconds and began, "You're thinking about meeting
Kayleigh today at 5:30 p.m. in the parking lot in front of the library, aren't you?"

Wordlessly, Matt turned over his notebook and showed the class what he had written:
“Library Parking Lot"

„You’re scaring me, Mr. Cassidy“, Ricardo explained. He was shaking his head as me
and my classmates applauded our teacher.

„Can we now please return to this class subject?“, Mr. Cassidy asked impatiently.

End
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
321 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Great story!!! ^^
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I like that, Gourmet.... Smile

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
I got the email from Penguin today raving about this routine and decided to finally introduce myself to the mentalism of Mr. Cassidy..

You nailed his presentation to a T .. Well done...

mG

PS: I love the effect ..
granterg
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of granterg
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2023, The_MetalMaster wrote:
Yes, I agree. I, too, would love to see all his works in a set of volumes. What I want is Bob's chapter on Pocket Writing in Art of Mentalism volume 1. I've been looking all over for it lately but the ebooks for sale do not include it. Apparently, it's only available in the Collector's Workshop edition.

Check out his penguin lecture, it might be there
rsheytanov
View Profile
New user
Dublin, IE
9 Posts

Profile of rsheytanov
I'm missing Bob too. Everytime I perform I subconsiously think about him. He inspired me so much over the years. Legend...
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
I am sure the Bob is smiling down seeing how much of an impact he had on all our work...

I'll share that I find myself smiling every time I think of working with Bob, hanging out, having drink at a bar and watching Bob destroy a bunch of girls in their 20's dressed up and going out to party/// He sobered them up with Name/place...

. We brought Bob into LA to work on a Discovery Channel series, Weber, me, Kieth Barry all in a room was a blast.

I picked Bob up from LAX and he couldn't smoke on the plane, so the moment he could ....he chain smoked for the entire trip home and at the same time trying to show me some billet moves, I had cars honking at us!
Bob leaned out the window and yelled at them that we were long lost cousin from Nebraska catching up
His room was beside mine at 777 Melrose a quaint old Hollywood hotel with a pool and Bob would crank the TV and watch old movies, reciting them line for line through the wall. They allowed smoking in the rooms.
Bob Loved that.

Miss ya pal,
Andrew Gerard
Well then...
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
255 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I am deeply grateful for the profound impact that Bob Cassidy has on my path. His passing left a mark of sadness in my heart.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2024, A.G. wrote:

His room was beside mine at 777 Melrose a quaint old Hollywood hotel

Miss ya pal,
Andrew Gerard

777 Vine perhaps
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2024, bevbevvybev wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2024, A.G. wrote:

His room was beside mine at 777 Melrose a quaint old Hollywood hotel

Miss ya pal,
Andrew Gerard

777 Vine perhaps

YES wow I forgot. It was a sweet little place with a pool. We also used to go to the 3 Clubs bar down the street.
Well then...
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
As a Brit, I’m quite chuffed for knowing that. Spent a fair bit of time over there in the 90s. Pool, beers and bars with Bob sounds awesome.
Trevo91
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Trevo91
One of the few things I really regret in life is not having the opportunity to have met to Bob Cassidy, I have had two opportunities to meet him and because I felt like I was not good enough as a mentalist I declined both those opportunities thinking that I could meet with him at another time. I was however fortunate enough to have messaged Bob a few times through facebook, and he was an absolute gentleman.

He'll be missed forever but it brings me peace that his legacy will live on through the contributions that he's left us with.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I often think Bob’s influence extends so far beyond the effects he created or refined. His THINKING about mentalism had a profound impact on EVERYTHING.

Yes. He is gone…but he has left a lasting legacy.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
567 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2024, RickThibau wrote:
I am deeply grateful for the profound impact that Bob Cassidy has on my path. His passing left a mark of sadness in my heart.

+1
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
567 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, David Thiel wrote:
I often think Bob’s influence extends so far beyond the effects he created or refined. His THINKING about mentalism had a profound impact on EVERYTHING.

Yes. He is gone…but he has left a lasting legacy.

David

Yes, absolutely
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
Bob and I definitely were on opposite spectrums of our world views but Bob's view on mentalism was truly astonishing! He just had that ability to sell everything he performed. Just amazing! I wish he was here today to hear his thoughts with all this electronic stuff coming out and being used for mentalism. I do know he was definitely not a fan of electronics being used for mentalism.
Check out Bafflingbob.com