The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Missing Bob Cassidy (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nelsoni
View Profile
New user
U.S.A.
11 Posts

Profile of Nelsoni
Bob Cassidy died this day in 2017. I've been reflecting on that today and missing him. His thoughts on mentalism as reflected in his books and several webinars of his that I've heard, as well as one live performance I attended, have greatly influenced me. He was a fascinating man, flaws and all. His passing was a great loss to his family and to our community as well.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Yes. I’ve been thinking about him today as well.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Yes, yes, a self-wounded man but an unforgettable contributor to Mentalism.

George
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So true
corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Who has the publishing rights to his books. I am sure that a reprint would sell extremely well.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I did some personal consulting with Bob Cassidy when I was just getting started in mentalism. I was just listening to the recording of our last phone consultation session from August 2015. Of the one hour session, about half the time was spent with Bob going off on various tangents telling hilarious stories in typical Bob fashion. LOL! A very brilliant man, but his personal life was kind of a mess. Sad he is gone.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I was fortunate to work a week with him at the Magic Castle.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Shortly after Bob died, I wasn't sure what to do with the feelings I had storming around in me. So I wrote a fictional story and based the main character on Bob.

I shared it with friends in the PEA and published it in one of my books.

I've decided to share it with you all as well. If you want to read it, go to Magic Pendulums (the link is in my signature below) and you will find the story under the "More" menu -- at the very bottom. The page is called "Remembering Bob."

I hope you enjoy it.

Yup. I miss my friend every day.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, David Thiel wrote:
Shortly after Bob died, I wasn't sure what to do with the feelings I had storming around in me. So I wrote a fictional story and based the main character on Bob.

I shared it with friends in the PEA and published it in one of my books.

I've decided to share it with you all as well. If you want to read it, go to Magic Pendulums (the link is in my signature below) and you will find the story under the "More" menu -- at the very bottom. The page is called "Remembering Bob."

I hope you enjoy it.

Yup. I miss my friend every day.

David

David, that was a great story and very well written. I didn't know Bob Cassidy well enough to call him a "friend" but I talked to him a few times in person and over the phone and I could hear his voice and see his face as I was reading your story. Great Job!
snm
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of snm
Dang... doesn't feel like it was six years ago already
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
We all miss Bob a lot ... even today I think so often of him, asking myself how he would have done this or that... his spirit is still with us. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
I saw him at the Castle. He packed the parlor. It was an amazing experience.

I love 4th Dimensional Telepathy and have fooled many magicians with it. One of Bob's greatest contributions. Although, only Bob could get away with presenting it they way he did -- it was who he was. He was one of a kind.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2023, StephenRoy wrote:
I saw him at the Castle. He packed the parlor. It was an amazing experience.

I love 4th Dimensional Telepathy and have fooled many magicians with it. One of Bob's greatest contributions. Although, only Bob could get away with presenting it they way he did -- it was who he was. He was one of a kind.

Hey Stephen! What do you mean only Bob could get away with his presentation?
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2023, E.E. wrote:

Hey Stephen! What do you mean only Bob could get away with his presentation?

Just his patter and jokes, like "Is it a dog? A female dog?... I knew we were dealing with a !@#$%," as an example. Also, he drank heavily during his act. It all worked for Bob. It was his persona and the audience loved it. That was how Bob played it. He received many accolades after his show and a lot of people wanted to meet him and shake his hand.

I love his 4DT routine, but I'm nothing like Bob and therefore, need to alter my presentation to fit my own style and personality. As everyone should, of course. There was only on Bob Cassidy and that's all there ever needs to be. I do very much appreciate his contributions to our art... and his lively discussions here on the Café.

Steve
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4712 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I consider 4DT to be Bob's masterpiece. Even after reading the explanation to how it's done, I watched him perform it and was still baffled on how he did it. It truly is a masterclass in deception and redirection.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, George Hunter wrote:
Yes, yes, a self-wounded man but an unforgettable contributor to Mentalism.

George

HMMMM...Maybe some of the weapons he enjoyed to 'wound' himself actually CONTRIBUTED to the spectacular mentalism we enjoy today?

(Faulkner, Hemingway, Errol Flynn, Winston Churchill, Jackie Gleason, etc. also enjoyed these "weapons" immensely, and I wonder if they would have put out the same products if they DIDN'T...LOL!)

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2023, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I consider 4DT to be Bob's masterpiece. Even after reading the explanation to how it's done, I watched him perform it and was still baffled on how he did it. It truly is a masterclass in deception and redirection.

This was always a strong one for me. It’s a string piece of pure Mentalism.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Bob and I went around a few times on the Café but behind the scenes Bob set me up with the best mentalism prop I have!!! RIP Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
It would be nice to see all Bobs writings in a deluxe set of volumes. H&R Books I believe are no longer. Hopefully at some point it will happen.
ijustwannalearn
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ijustwannalearn
They should for his legacy