The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Depository :: Cleaning cards (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
timph
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of timph
Bought a really nice gaff deck. Have just noticed that on the faces of two of the cards is a weird yellowing. Should I try to remove it and if so, what's safe to use please?
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
My first inclination is to ask If you have reported the issue to the dealer you purchased them from. They need to know. I have worked for several manufacturers and trust me, there is stuff that happens "in the field" that they would like to know and would address if only they knew. But oftentimes they never get the message.

So I'd reach out to whomever sold them and tell them of the issue and ask for their advice. They may offer to send you replacements. In any case, you will have done a service to everyone in advising them of the problem.

As far as "cleaning" the cards, that is a tricky question (no pun intended) and unless we know what the discoloration is, any "fix" would just be a guess. The so-called discoloration could even be below the finish that is applied. So to get it off you have to remove the finish which would probably be even worse.

I'd start by contacting the dealer.

If you want to experiment, with the knowledge you might ruin the cards, likely in my opinion, there really aren't any safe ways to go that won't alter the appearance in my opinion. Fournier cards can be literally submerged in water with apparently no deleterious effects, but ordinary "Bicycles" not so much. Any wet agent like water is going to impact the appearance negatively. And rubbing the cards could be problematic because it could possibly alter the sheen of the finish.

Hope that helps. Good luck and tell us what you end up doing.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
timph
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of timph
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2023, Ray J wrote:
My first inclination is to ask If you have reported the issue to the dealer you purchased them from. They need to know. I have worked for several manufacturers and trust me, there is stuff that happens "in the field" that they would like to know and would address if only they knew. But oftentimes they never get the message.

So I'd reach out to whomever sold them and tell them of the issue and ask for their advice. They may offer to send you replacements. In any case, you will have done a service to everyone in advising them of the problem.

As far as "cleaning" the cards, that is a tricky question (no pun intended) and unless we know what the discoloration is, any "fix" would just be a guess. The so-called discoloration could even be below the finish that is applied. So to get it off you have to remove the finish which would probably be even worse.

I'd start by contacting the dealer.

If you want to experiment, with the knowledge you might ruin the cards, likely in my opinion, there really aren't any safe ways to go that won't alter the appearance in my opinion. Fournier cards can be literally submerged in water with apparently no deleterious effects, but ordinary "Bicycles" not so much. Any wet agent like water is going to impact the appearance negatively. And rubbing the cards could be problematic because it could possibly alter the sheen of the finish.

Hope that helps. Good luck and tell us what you end up doing.

Thanks Ray.

I bought them from another magician - they were clearly unused (in NDO, look and feel brand new) but technically second hand. It looks to me like a beige tint, which I suspect is a manufacturing fault.

Feel the same way - I'm more likely to make it worse by messing with them. It's only a couple of cards on the faces so won't notice too much. I've tried various things on sacrificial cards and have never produced good results!