The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Aronson Suitability trick with only 3 cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
Aronson Suitability trick with only 3 cards.

Magician shuffles (false) a deck of cards and then has a spectator cut the deck several times and deal three cards in a row to three other spectators.

The magician says: "look at your cards and concentrate and I will try to read your thoughts. I'm getting pretty good info about the value of your cards but I'm having trouble with your suits so just please tell me the name of your suits".

After the three spectators verbally tell their suit, the magician secretly looks at the below cheat sheet to know exactly which cards they are holding.

If the cheat sheet row has the word "dup" then the magician will have to do one equivoque/phish statement to the second spectator that has a card example the suit pattern is "csh" then magician says: "I'm getting either a 10 or a 2 of spades, your card isn't a 10 is it"?

If they reply "yes it is" then the magician says "I thought so".
If they reply "no it isn't" then the magician says "I thought it wasn't".

Either way the magician looks good and the magician now knows what the other two cards are from the correct cheat sheet row.

Aronson 3 card suitability cheat sheet:
ccd QC 2C 9D
cch KC 5C 2H
cdc 6C 8D AC

cds dup1 10C JD 4S
cds dup1 2C 9D JS

chc dup2 JC JH 10C
chc dup2 4C 8H 9C

chh 7C 4H KH
chs 5C 2H 9S

csd dup3 8C 3S AD
csd dup3 9C QS 6D

csh dup4 AC 10S 5H
csh dup4 3C 2S 9H

dcc 6D QC 2C

dch dup5 5D 7C 4H
dch dup5 10D JC JH

dcs dup6 8D AC 10S
dcs dup6 7D 8C 3S

ddc dup7 KD 7D 8C
ddc dup7 4D 10D JC

ddd 2D KD 7D
dhh 3D 7H QH
dhs QD AH 8S

dsc 9D JS KC
dsh JD 4S 10H
dss AD 7S 5S

hcd dup8 3H 6C 8D
hcd dup8 JH 10C JD

hcs dup9 6H 3C 2S
hcs dup9 8H 9C QS

hdc QH 5D 7C

hdd dup10 5H 2D KD
hdd dup10 KH 4D 10D

hhc 10H 6H 3C

hhd dup11 7H QH 5D
hhd dup11 4H KH 4D

hsd AH 8S 3D

hss dup12 2H 9S AS
hss dup12 9H KS 6S

scc JS KC 5C
sch 6S 4C 8H
sdc QS 6D QC

sdh dup13 5S QD AH
sdh dup13 8S 3D 7H

sds 3S AD 7S

shc AS 3H 6C
shd 10S 5H 2D
shh 4S 10H 6H
shs 2S 9H KS

ssc KS 6S 4C
ssd 7S 5S QD
ssh 9S AS 3H

Note that If a dup situation occurs the magician could pick anyone of the three spectators to do the equivoque/phish statement, but I like to use the second spectator because it looks a little more random than using the first spectator.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
Note that there are 13 situations where there are duplicate patterns which means 26 cards are involved in those situations, however 26 other situations do not have duplicates therefore only about half of the performances will require the one equivoque statement.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
A little while ago jmbulg PM'ed me with an improvement and I asked him if it was okay to post it and he gave me permission as long as I checked it for accuracy (which I did). Here it is:

Below is the jmbulg modified Aronson stack so that there are no duplicate three suit patterns therefore no equivoque needed in order to do the three card "Suitability" trick:

Starting with the pure Aronson stack make the following modifications:

Move 8S after KH
Move 10C after 6H
Move 8C after JS
Move 9H after 10D

Doing the above four moves yields:
JS 8C KC 5C 2H 9S AS
3H 6C 8D AC 10S 5H
2D KD 7D 3S AD
7S 5S QD AH 3D
7H QH 5D 7C 4H KH 8S
4D 10D 9H JC JH JD
4S 10H 6H 10C 3C 2S
KS 6S 4C 8H 9C QS
6D QC 2C 9D

Below is Cheat Sheet for the three suit "Suitability" patterns using jmbulg modified Aronson Suitability stack:
ccc 8C KC 5C
ccd QC 2C 9D
cch KC 5C 2H
ccs 10C 3C 2S
cdc 6C 8D AC
cds 2C 9D JS
chc 4C 8H 9C
chd JC JH JD
chh 7C 4H KH
chs 5C 2H 9S
csd 9C QS 6D
csh AC 10S 5H
css 3C 2S KS

dcc 6D QC 2C
dch 5D 7C 4H
dcs 8D AC 10S
ddd 2D KD 7D
ddh 4D 10D 9H
dds KD 7D 3S
dhc 10D 9H JC
dhd QD AH 3D
dhh 3D 7H QH
dsc 9D JS 8C
dsd 7D 3S AD
dsh JD 4S 10H
dss AD 7S 5S

hcc 6H 10C 3C
hcd 3H 6C 8D
hch 9H JC JH
hcs 8H 9C QS
hdc QH 5D 7C
hdd 5H 2D KD
hdh AH 3D 7H
hds JH JD 4S
hhc 10H 6H 10C
hhd 7H QH 5D
hhs 4H KH 8S
hsd KH 8S 4D
hss 2H 9S AS

scc JS 8C KC
sch 6S 4C 8H
sdc QS 6D QC
sdd 8S 4D 10D
sdh SS QD AH
sds 3S AD 7S
shc AS 3H 6C
shd 10S 5H 2D
shh 4S 10H 6H
ssc KS 6S 4C
ssd 7S 5S QD
ssh 9S AS 3H
sss 2S KS 6S

I'll probably stick with the pure Aronson stack and it's three card equivoque cheat sheet so I don't have to modify my deck back and forth, however the jmbulg modification is very cool and some of you may want to use it and the above cheat sheet in order to do the "Suitability" trick without an equivoque (however you will not be able to rattle off the other two cards from memory, you will have to refer to the cheat sheet for all three cards because of course the jmbulg Aronson stack has been modified).
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
Below is a simpler cheat sheet for the pure Aronson stack (assuming you have the stack memorized then you don't need to see all three cards on the cheat sheet).

Aronson 3 suit pattern suitability cheat sheet:
ccd QC
cch KC
cdc 6C
cds 10C or 2C
chc JC or 4C
chh 7C
chs 5C
csd 8C or 9C
csh AC or 3C

dcc 6D
dch 5D or 10D
dcs 8D or 7D
ddc KD or 4D
ddd 2D
dhh 3D
dhs QD
dsc 9D
dsh JD
dss AD

hcd 3H or JH
hcs 6H or 8H
hdc QH
hdd 5H or KH
hhc 10H
hhd 7H or 4H
hsd AH
hss 2H or 9H

scc JS
sch 6S
sdc QS
sdh 5S or 8S
sds 3S
shc AS
shd 10S
shh 4S
shs 2S
ssc KS
ssd 7S
ssh 9S
-----------------------
I think you could glue this smaller cheat sheet to the back of the two Jokers or to the back of the two ad cards (I like to have two duplicate clean Jokers available to do other tricks). You might be able to put this smaller cheat sheet on the back of the tuck case.

If using ad cards for the cheat sheet then I do NOT like to use one card that has the cheat sheet on both sides because sometimes you have to turn the card over looking for the pattern which looks suspicious whereas using both ad cards having half the cheat sheet on one side of each ad card eliminates any flipping and looks more natural as you are concentrating (trying to "read their minds") and you happen to casually look down at whatever is in your hands.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Couldn't you do this just by glimpsing the bottom card?

After your false shuffle have the spectator do the Ose False Cut, Glimpse the bottom card, and call out the three chosen cards.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
I have done it that way (no suit information necessary).

However, many people are aware of the bottom peek used in conjunction with the Si Stebbins (it's taught all over the internet).

Also many people automatically think the cards are marked, therefore to negate this idea I do the trick with my back turned or be on the other side of the room.

I have also used blank back cards.