The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Do Peter Turner's Tricks Work? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mouser1234
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of mouser1234
Peter Turner appears to have some awesome guides on his magic which appears to be a blend of mentalism and hypnosis.

His guides clearly involve a lot of work. But do they actually work? Has anyone tried to perform his magic?
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Depends. What do you mean by "do they actually work?"

Please forgive me if your low post count is incorrectly leading me to a wrong conclusion. That said, are you new to this?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Haha, good question. Is Peter Turner a Hypnotist?
magictricksandcoffee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magictricksandcoffee
Yes, Peter Turner is a hypnotist (and brands himself as such on his Instagram profile).

That does not mean that all his hypnosis-like effects use hypnosis; he has a lot of pseudo-hypnosis material. Also to some degree the lines between what is pseudo-hypnosis and hypnosis blues (e.g. do you consider magnetic fingers a minor form of hypnosis, a pseudo-hypnosis body mechanics trick, or something totally different?)

Are there any specific tricks you’re referring too? Most (maybe all?) of his mentalism/pseudo-hypnosis tricks I would classify as not-hypnosis, but that’s just me (and doesn’t mean he couldn’t hypnotize you if you met in person)
mouser1234
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of mouser1234
Yes, I am a newbie and new to this.

In his guides, he performs tricks like the following: causing someone to fall backward, their hands stick to a table and they can not remove them, and having people hand over their purses or wallets.

I basically want to know if I take his guides/courses and put in the work (which I think will involve enormous work and practice), will I be able to perform these tricks?
magictricksandcoffee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magictricksandcoffee
Yes, you should be able to put in the work and get accomplish these effects, but you'll have to definitely pay close attention. If these tricks are something you're interested in, definitely go for it.

It wouldn't hurt to learn regular street/stage hypnosis in parallel for this as well. Gives you more tools you can use and also you can turn pseudo-hypnosis effects into actual hypnosis if you have the right crowd.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Don't fool yourself this is not hypnosis. It is fake or pseudo hypnosis or magic under the premise of hypnosis. I don't believe Peter is any kind of a certified or degreed hypnotist. In all of our discussions Peter has never said anything about being a hypnotist, especially knowing I am and my background/experience.

If anything it is European street hypnosis which really isn't anything but magic games. So sure I'm sure you can learn this but don't think you are doing hypnosis. And it does not work as often as one might lead you to think, even for the guys that claim otherwise. It often has a greater failure rate than success.

I would never suggest or recommend anyone to learn street hypnosis.
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Ok, I think I understand your question and where you're coming from.

I looked at what he's got for sale and I'm pretty sure I know which offer you're talking about. I haven't bought it, probably won't, but people who bought his mind reading course speak well of it so this one may be good too.

Best way I can describe what you will probably get for your money is this. If you put in the work you will be able to do what he's doing. You will not be able to do what it looks like he's doing, but neither can he. It will be entertaining. This will probably be better than most party tricks you've seen done. It's not genuine Jedi mind tricks but Star Wars ain't real.

The distinction between hypnosis and pseudo hypnosis may be a little more "inside baseball" than you care to dig into. If you want to be a pro hypnotist this isn't that. If you want to appear to do the tricks in the video on his web page, well then step right up...

I hope that helps.

If you do buy this, please come back here and let us know your impression after you've worked with it a bit.

Edit to add, if you're not looking to perform professionally and just looking to blow some minds in social settings, consider some mind reading tricks. Also palm reading is fun at a party. Also be careful. The whole Svengali bit can be overbearing.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Good question Mouser. The simple answer is yes, they do work. However, not always, not with everyone. Subject selection, atmosphere creation, and no doubt bloody good video editing are also involved. As for the very silly is this hypnosis or not question then the answer is less simple; yes - sometimes, it can be done that way. ;-)
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
[quote]On Dec 30, 2022, Mindpro wrote:
"I don't believe Peter is any kind of a certified or degreed hypnotist. In all of our discussions Peter has never said anything about being a hypnotist, especially knowing I am and my background/experience."

How is certification relevant? Just curious. [ For the record I am but was a hypnotist on stage long before being so. ]

"If anything it is European street hypnosis which really isn't anything but magic games."

Nothing to do with magic actually - the term 'Street Hypnosis' was coined by I believe, Anthony Jacquin and Headhakers and I'm sure they use direct suggestion - the ONLY real hypnosis. [I'm sure because I taught impromptu hypnosis to them. ;-)

"So sure I'm sure you can learn this but don't think you are doing hypnosis. And it does not work as often as one might lead you to think, even for the guys that claim otherwise. It often has a greater failure rate than success."

If that's you're experience please let me suggest you get some direction on subject selection.

"I would never suggest or recommend anyone to learn street hypnosis."

You don't like it. Have you ever tried to do it?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
DoubleDutched
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
76 Posts

Profile of DoubleDutched
There is a lot of confusing talk in this subject, even in the 'explanation' side.

I've seen explanations which purport to show real hypnosis (in the middle of a magic DVD no less) then later what was shown is then sold as pseudo hypnosis years later.
(I like the above term 'magic games' from above!) but I could have misinterpreted I suppose....

I don't think any of Peter Turner's materials will give you powers like you see in the Now You See Me movies.

It may appear to others that you do though, so it depends on your goals.
Alexander Crowley
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Crowley
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2022, Mindpro wrote:
Don't fool yourself this is not hypnosis. It is fake or pseudo hypnosis or magic under the premise of hypnosis. I don't believe Peter is any kind of a certified or degreed hypnotist. In all of our discussions Peter has never said anything about being a hypnotist, especially knowing I am and my background/experience.

If anything it is European street hypnosis which really isn't anything but magic games. So sure I'm sure you can learn this but don't think you are doing hypnosis. And it does not work as often as one might lead you to think, even for the guys that claim otherwise. It often has a greater failure rate than success.

I would never suggest or recommend anyone to learn street hypnosis.

I absolutely disagree with what you say! Because yes, it's true that they are tricks, but the viewer doesn't know it so for him that is hypnosis. And this is enough for us to achieve our goal. So it is not important whether you use pseudo hypnotic tricks or not to bring a subject into trance, being that we only have to lower our subject's defenses So I would say that pseudo-hypnotic tricks from this point of view are very useful for making subjects lower their defenses. In addition to the fact that it also ignites the subject's imagination and can be the gateway to true Hypnosis. Never underestimate "pseudo-hypnotic" tricks,through it I have often managed to hypnotize people who were reluctant or doubtful about its effectiveness/reality.
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
That's actually a really good point, Alex. I imagine it can be immensely helpful to disarm someone with something like a pseudo hypnosis effect, making them more suggestible.

But also... Pete does use real hypnosis. I think it's tempting to write someone off as not being a real hypnotist just because they've created or demonstrated pseudo hypnotic effects. He also incorporates real suggestion. I've seen it.
Alexander Crowley
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Alexander Crowley
Jared, I agree my friend, but I don't agree with the statement that there are suggestible subjects and less suggestible subjects. Because I believe we are all hypnotizable through hypnosis, as we regularly engage in it without realizing it. So with this premise, I find it hard to believe in these suggestibility therapies. More than that, I believe there are those who cooperate and those who do not, just as it works in a dental office or any authorized hospital treating patients. Because if you think about it, if you cooperate, hypnosis works, and that's it. I believe that hypno tricks or pseudo hypnosis, in this sense, are very useful and can serve as a dividing line for subject selection, but it doesn't mean that someone who doesn't respond is a worse subject, it simply means one needs to change their approach. I generally use pseudo hypnosis as a gateway to real hypnosis, transforming, for example, magnetic fingers into induction, and I have often had great results. In any case, Peter Turner is a good hypnotist to me and has his knowledge, as you can perceive from the products he has created to date. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ugh.

Good plan. Just redefine anything as hypnosis so you never fail. Yea nobody will notice that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2023, Alexander Crowley wrote:
I agree my friend, but I don't agree with the statement that there are suggestible subjects and less suggestible subjects. Because I believe we are all hypnotizable through hypnosis, as we regularly engage in it without realizing it. So with this premise, I find it hard to believe in these suggestibility therapies. More than that, I believe there are those who cooperate and those who do not, just as it works in a dental office or any authorized hospital treating patients. Because if you think about it, if you cooperate, hypnosis works, and that's it. I believe that hypno tricks or pseudo hypnosis, in this sense, are very useful and can serve as a dividing line for subject selection, but it doesn't mean that someone who doesn't respond is a worse subject, it simply means one needs to change their approach. I generally use pseudo hypnosis as a gateway to real hypnosis, transforming, for example, magnetic fingers into induction, and I have often had great results. In any case, Peter Turner is a good hypnotist to me and has his knowledge, as you can perceive from the products he has created to date. Smile

I kind of get where you're coming from, but I do have my disagreements. Unfortunately, you're kind of on a slippery slope into the conversation of whether hypnosis is "real," which as stated by the pinned thread is not something that can be discussed here. If you're interested in my opinion/response to this, you can private message me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea of hypnosis being “real” or not isn’t really that relevant to the entertainment value of a show now is it? Sure it makes great things to argue about and feel superior on the internet as one pontificates about it but for purposes of the show is it really that relevant? It CERTAINLY isn’t that entertaining to discuss in a show.

I think a LOT of hypnotists get hung up on this point. Fact is that the actual “hypnosis” part of the show is a VERY small portion of the thing!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
Completely agree Danny