The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: RIP Penguin Live/Penguin Act? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Not only are no future "acts" or "lectures" scheduled on the Penguin web site but the Live Act is no longer a subscription option.
DanielChard
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, United Kingdom
156 Posts

Profile of DanielChard
Erik mentions they’ll be going to a several a year in the recent free holiday live remix they did Smile

Hope that helps Smile
You can purchase my Penguin Live Act here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12238
-4.5 hours of explanation, psychology and thoughts from a working professional. 15 years experience working in the real world, I hold NOTHING BACK!
-1 x 45 min stand up act
- 1 x 15 min close up set
-10 killer effects designed to entertain and destroy your audience.

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Danielchardmagic
Instagram: @danielchardmagic
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
610 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Currently watching the penguin holiday remix ( https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18121 ). Haven't gotten to the part where Erik mentions the change in schedule/format. But it's mentioned on early in the Remix that there's currently 400+ Lives/Acts done so far. Which is insane, in a good way.
DanielChard
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, United Kingdom
156 Posts

Profile of DanielChard
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2022, trickyat86 wrote:
Currently watching the penguin holiday remix ( https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18121 ). Haven't gotten to the part where Erik mentions the change in schedule/format. But it's mentioned on early in the Remix that there's currently 400+ Lives/Acts done so far. Which is insane, in a good way.

It’s from the 2 hour 10 mark Smile excited to see the change in format Smile
You can purchase my Penguin Live Act here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12238
-4.5 hours of explanation, psychology and thoughts from a working professional. 15 years experience working in the real world, I hold NOTHING BACK!
-1 x 45 min stand up act
- 1 x 15 min close up set
-10 killer effects designed to entertain and destroy your audience.

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Danielchardmagic
Instagram: @danielchardmagic
MT
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of MT
129:30 mark that's where they make their announcement
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Great news.They were good value.I can't afford the Vanishing Inc. Masterclass.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
underthetree
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of underthetree
Probably they can’t find good lecturers for sharing quality materials.
I don’t remember which penguin live make me feel great in recent year, except Bill Abbott
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1602 Posts

Profile of Jared
The Penguin lectures and acts were a wonderful idea, but they bombarded us with too many and the length of most was too long. The lectures should have been limited to 1- 1.5-hours MAX. Most people do not have time to sit through a 4+ hour lecture even if we were to break it up into smaller segments at a time. I would have preferred paying less money (maybe $15-$20 a lecture) for perhaps an hour or 1.5-hours of good tricks but without all the interplay and Q & A business. The problem with these companies is that they overloaded us to the point where it became a chore to sit through these things. Honestly, one or two per month would have been more than enough (1 x magic + 1 x mentalism). Then, to top it all off every competing company jumped onto the bandwagon (Penguin, Vanishing Inc, Alakazam, etc.) ...It's just too much to watch!! We need to slow down a bit in this industry.
Cookiegod86
View Profile
New user
NY
54 Posts

Profile of Cookiegod86
Penguin lives were super useful for me starting out. I thoroughly enjoyed lectures from the likes of Jason England, Tyler Wilson, Magick Balay and Shin Lim. Around the time it became less frequent and more "Live Acts," my interest started to dwindle.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Honestly I don’t understand wanting shorter or Less …. I if there’s a portion of content I don’t think I’ll get as much out of I’ll just watch it on 1.75x speed that way I still hear it and learn, and if there’s something I do end up finding interesting I slow it to normal. And things like q & a that doesn’t require looking at to understand is great to listen to when driving just my 2 cents
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
That is a shame however I do think the quality went down a little towards the end compared to some of the earlier gems.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
The problem with the long length is that so much of it was filler but within that filler were some very helpful info. I absolutely love Greg Wilson but he started taking it as a personal challenge to have the longest lecture and so much of it was just goofing around and rambling on, just making stuff up on the fly. It seemed like then others followed suit trying to set a record for the longest lecture and it just became ridiculous. It turned into quantity over quality in many cases.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2843 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Like most things in life, there was a small percentage of lectures that were exceptionally good, a small percentage that were not very good, with the majority somewhere in the middle. Obviously, some presenters resonate well with certain viewers and not so well with others. We all have our individual favorites as well as those we did not care for.

That said, there were a number of lectures on my short list that were amazingly good and valuable for me. A real bargain for what I received. Some of the big names in mentalism put on incredible lectures that were well planned, well structured, where the performer was organized and had clearly prepared well and gave an outstanding lecture. There were also a few big names who shocked me with how poor of a lecture they presented.

At the end of the day, if the lectures were good money makers long term, Penguin would still produce them. They would continue to make the investment if the return was good enough. However, anytime you offer a digital only product it's not long after the release that the product appears on pirate sites and of course you have magicians who share with their friends. Both make take money out of the creator's / producer's pocket and make offering a digital only product increasingly less appealing.

ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I'll likely croak before I get through all the Pneguin lectures I've purchased over the years. The table of contents PDF and ability to speed up the playback speed are helpful. I think they pumped out a little too many lectures for a while there. I wish the in-person lectures in the basement of a Donato's or back room of a magic shop would make a comeback.