The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Duane Duvall of Portland, OR. aged 91 (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Duane Duvall, the "Dean of Portland Magicians" passed away in the early hours of Friday, Dec. 16th in Portland, Oregon. He was 91.
Duane was a working professional magician, and an active member of the local magic clubs, and was probably the member with the longest lifetime membership in any of them, of all time.
He joined the Portland Society of Magicians in 1952, and his membership spanned exactly 1/2 the longevity of that club, the oldest magic club west of the Mississippi, which just turned 100 this year.
He had an encyclopedic knowledge of magic and was always glad to share a tip or give advice to his compeers in the craft.

He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Condolences for all loved ones and friends.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I knew Duane for 20 plus years. He was my very first mentor in magic. I literally emailed him when I was 18 if he could please teach me magic. He was so gracious and giving with his time. When I was very new to magic, I was learning from every source I could think of. I did some cigarette manipulation at the magic shop, Duane had just walked in and watched me performing for the others, he simply said “that was very good.” The other magicians behind the counter informed me then that Duane never gives compliments like that. Haha well I’m gracious he was willing to spend the time with me that he did. I will forever cherish my memories of Duane. He mystified countless people in the time I knew him. He was quiet and always watching. Always always watching. He loved magic and we loved him.