The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: How Do I...Entertainment Business? (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Mindpro,
Here is the website I was talking about in my post on the last page. https://kiddly-winks.com.au/magician-perth/
They are a brother/sister team who are based in Melbourne which is 2,120 miles from where I live in Perth Western Australia. They don't have anyone who does shows for them here, but they have used SEO and paid for it to be on the top of Google searches here in Perth where I live.
This is another that is based in Sydney, has a philipino call centre and has a big budget for Google Ads. https://flybyfun.com.au/locations/kids-p......nt-perth
These are different from Gig Salad and the like which I do not use at all. Fly By Fun and I have an agreement on fees for different things I do for them. They do the advertising, get the gig, contact me to give me all the details and when I finish I send a tax invoice for payment. It's how 95% of these types of companies work here in Australia. A while back the boss of the company started selling different states here as franchises, and then only paying after 30 days, and putting many other requirements on the performers, and I didn't go through with them. I'm not worried as I have plenty of work to keep me busy.
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, Fedora wrote:
You mentioned one sheets and Promo kits, as you said you used to
have to send a package, what is the current standard?

Do you send the content as a pdf, or just direct them to a website
so they don't have to download anything?

As always, any input from someone familiar with Promo kits is appreciated.

It really depends on your business model and your predetermined step by step process you create for your business, and based on the answers to your foundational questions.

We each have to chart out the path we want our prospects to take. I think this is one thing that many performers create that works against them. The guru trend is automation and hands-off processes. I strongly disagree with this for entertainment business. This is something created by internet marketers that some gurus have adapted to the magic community but forgetting that we are selling physical performing services, not digital online products.

Can we as physical performers use the online world in our businesses? Yes, only to a certain degree, and only once your foundation and operational system are determined and firmly in place, and only as it works within your predetermined business model. Doing so prematurely or any other way will likely take one off into an ineffective, lack of desired results outcome. This is why many that listen to online marketers often get taken in a direction away from what we are trying to achieve. What works for digital products does not necessarily translate to physical performing services.

With that said, as I mentioned, it really depends on the path you want prospects to take onto your business world (or funnel as the online gurus want to call it). For my performing, I specialize in one primary market (with also a secondary market) and the process I want them to take is all about getting them on the phone one on one with myself or my team members. I know if I can do this I have an over 85% booking conversion rate (minimum) and each of these phone calls will be worth $4,500 to my business - each and every time, without fail. The whole process is based on this for me. Many in the online world want to get them to their website, to fill out a form, and hope that the website sells their services. This is very hands-off as I said, and not very personable. And it certainly does not easily lead to the relationship type of business and the income volume I am targeting and desire.

One of another of the greatest mistakes performers make is believing all one has to do is get someone to their website. Years ago this worked very well. But since the new website design format, which was created to favor and accommodate mobile devices and SEO, it has become less effective in conversions on its own. I would never want a website to do my selling or be the mouthpiece of my business. In my case it is not right for my business model and the markets I serve, and the level of relationship business I expect.

Now this is not to say that some that do direct everything to their website can work to some degree, some models better than others, so again it depends on your foundational decisions. If you want to be hands-off and let your online presence do everything and you are happy with that level of results and outcomes, then fine, have at it.

Directing to a website is passive. You are trusting them to take all the action. Get your domain, go to your site, read the contents, follow the progression, follow your CTA, have your site educate and motivate them to book, and so on. That is putting everything on the uninformed, uneducated entertainment buying consumer. That's a lot. Plus they WILL do all of this with the typical consumer market "default" mentalities and approach. No Thanks! I want no part of this. I do not want the success of my business depending on this. I do not want the success of my business dependent on something passive. And I never understood why performers want this hands-off approach so badly. Lazy? Scared? Uneducated?

I hear performers say all the time, "I'm bad on the phone," or "I don't like talking to people," or "I never know what to say to them," or "I'm afraid I might blow it." To these I say, get over it or get the he** out of the business. What are you crazy!

WE ARE ENTERTAINERS! THIS IS WHAT WE DO. WE CRAFT A PERFORMANCE OF WHAT WE WANT TO OFFER AND CREATE THE PROPER PRESENTATION TO DO SO! I would expect this from other types of businesses but not entertainment business operated by performers or speakers.

The phone is still, 100%, without a doubt the best and most strongest tool in our entertainment business toolbox. I've even offered the exact scripts of what to say and templates t create your own in my Entertainer's Business Toolkit book, along with followup scripts, emails, and more.

But it is crazy to me that performers would think this way. When designing and laying out your success plan, one of the first things after dealing in absolute complete honesty with yourself and your business, next is that success requires a mindset shift. You must change your own personal mindset and mentalities that have been unsuccessful to that required of the success you desire. Success will not happen without a mindset shift.

Look at some of the things that have been said so far just as a result of this thread - "Much food for thought," "I never looked at it from that side," "I was doing something incorrect and did not realize it. I was thinking like a magician!!!," "thos opened the door to a new way of thinking," "Thanks, you've given me some things to consider," actually, this whole thread is turning into one of the most interesting on the Café." These are all examples of mindset shifts and embracing new or different information.

When using the phone you have control of the conversation, they are contacting your for more information and even though they don't know it the education of how they should properly be searching for entertainment and their entertainment needs, you can direct then through your specific process, you can present them with the exact desired positioning, you have a much higher conversion rate if you have your Sales Performance correctly created and in place, and you will set the bar for which any and all others they might consider will be compared. These are just the first at-a-glance benefits. This is not to mention that through the whole Sales Performance you are establishing and furthering your business relationship with each prospect. You will be seeding as well for future interest and business, all while providing real the credibility that they are seeking, not the flimsy "social proof" hailed by all the online world gurus. Plus, sooo much more.

So why wouldn't you want to do this? Why not put the effort into just this one thing that will set your business up for life and keep you in control and in the drivers seat, while getting most prospects so appreciative of your helpfulness and information, giving them a confidence in you and your business and services.

So back to you question..

We have found that even if prospects go to your website they do not spend as much time, see everything you want them to, understand everything in the proper context, and often leave too quickly without truly hearing your intended message. Analytics confirm all of this. Even sites that the performer has spent ten of thousands of dollars have this same outcome. Short attention spans. Sure they'll see some if it, but often the first impression is what matters the most and most magicians' website miss on this completely. They have on their sites detail what they (the performer) thinks they want to see, but in reality, since they really don't now how to search and shop for entertainment, the default mentalities work against your website and often your business.

Directing them to a representative allows for more direct active presenting, not passive. I believe having both physical Promo Pack and a e-Promo Pack should be something each performer has. My design team is available and many of my coaching student use it to create the best one-sheet and promo packet components, will all of the art and sciences included to be both effective and support both our business model, and in most cases out live sales presentation.

Even if you send them to a website many prospects still want you to still send them something. Even if you just offer the same information, they want the personal response and the physical thing that they can take and show others (either your printed promo or the pdf version that they can share with others). This is why a website alone isn't always enough on its own.

It also depends on how you choose to market.

This works best for my business models and many others, but models can vary. I also think the perception thing and the business vs. just a performer thing we discussed above also comes into play. Most performers do not carry (or even have) a promo kit, so when approached they typically may offer a business card. Compared to a company performer that has a complete physical promo kit it makes the company seem more professional and have more professional tools, all making them appear more credible.

Although I think most performers should have a website and promo, I would rather have just a well-created one-page. With nothing more than this I have gone into a town of a coaching student and helped them generate 5, 8, or 10 or more bookings within the week with just this one tool. It must be the right tool and you must know how to use it, but it is possible.

I would never send or email a promo kit unsolicited, which again is why when it comes after a phone conversation is is invited, welcomed, and even looked forward to, rather than being seen as uninvited or unsolicited, and often unopened spam.

A good Promo Kit/Pack is essential for proper entertainment business marketing. It must be specific to entertainment business and is something that is not easily adaptable from conventional business as the sciences behind them differ greatly.

I hope this helps!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, snm wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, Mindpro wrote:
In my training I often talk about and refer to the 5 types of bookings for every entertainment business

What are the five types of bookings?

This content is part of my live training events and coaching and consulting services so I prefer to keep that private at this point on the forum. However, I will say that for an entertainment business to be successful they need all 5 of these or they will always just be hustling on the hamster wheel of trying to always be chasing after new bookings.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks mindpro, I'm sure it takes a lot of time to write such
thorough posts, me and (i assume) other folks appreciate
it quite a bit.

85 percent conversion is quite high for a phone call.

So I take it a physical promo kit or pdf establishes a relationship
with the potential client to a degree, lowering
the "bounce rate" you see from searchable websites.

The apparent professionalism is also a plus.

Interesting, thanks again.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks for the links Al. I'll check into these later today when I get the chance.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think these are more what the industry here calls "chop-shops." I know this may sound derogative but not necessarily so, just but just the way they do business is a bit differently than actual agencies.

They tend to operate more as event planners just servicing entertainment needs. It is territorial and they typically pay less than actual market rate to the talent. They go for volume bookings and I'm not surprised they sell territory rights or even franchises. They probably don't ever meet many of the magicians and other performers who book through their service. They aren't really representing you as the performer, as much as just generating their bookings and then contracting out to those closest to the booking area to fulfill the booking. This is popular in European markets and other parts of the world, less than it is here. We've got a couple here and in Canada too.

The tend to work with lower-end performers or those willing to work for less than market prices typically. Not knowing each of these I couldn't say for sure but just offering a more generalized industry view.

Some of these are really poor communicators (between the talent and themselves and the the clients). This is not how agencies work. But if you are not promoting or marketing yourself they are a hands-off option for bookings here and there I guess.

In the states the agency associations have worked hard to keep them out of the market. They seem to target easy markets the most like kids parties and related consumer markets.

Thanks for the links. When you work for them how well do they pay?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Thanks mindpro, I'm sure it takes a lot of time to write such
thorough posts, me and (i assume) other folks appreciate
it quite a bit.

85 percent conversion is quite high for a phone call.

So I take it a physical promo kit or pdf establishes a relationship
with the potential client to a degree, lowering
the "bounce rate" you see from searchable websites.

The apparent professionalism is also a plus.

Interesting, thanks again.

Yes, it does take a lot of time and effort to write these posts which is why being interrupted or derailed is so frustrating. It also interrupts learning and progress. I can verbally speak these long posts in a matter of a few quick minutes but it's the written format that takes time and greater effort. Thanks for mentioning your appreciation, as it is good to know others recognize it and find all of this helpful. We don't often say thanks here or in our industry as much as we really should, so that was nice and also appreciated.

85% is my low-end closing rate. This also goes as high as 93% given certain circumstances. It doesn't have to be a phone call as it can also be an in-person meeting, however I/we now only do those at conferences and trade events by appointment only.

No, the pdf or physical promo does not establish the relationship with the prospect, it is the live phone call or in-person meeting that does. The promo (in either format) is only their takeaway. Every time you talk to a client or meet a client in-person, say at your booth at a conference/exhibit floor, they always need to conclude with them physically taking away something. This is what they want/expect even if they don't know or realize it.

Years ago I would spend 18-23 minutes with a prospect (in person or via phone) and then at the end they would always say "is there something you could send me?" or "do you have something I could take with me?"

I used to get pi***d! I just spent 18-23 minites with you, you said it was sooo helpful and how appreciative you were, and how excited you are to work with us, so you now know everything you need to to make an intelligent, informed decision, and you still want something to take with you or sent to you? Just visit my da** website! But when you understand the psychological process and their mindset in purchasing live entertainment and the entire process AS IT PERTAINS TO THEM, then it completely makes sense. They were blown away by our meeting/discussion but for some reason were not able to book at that moment (they usually needed to go back and talk to a committee, or get a board's or executive approval, etc.) so they need to have that physical takeaway to complete the feeling and position I/we want to leave them with. Usually they will confirm within 48 hours in most cases. So the promo kit is only the takeaway that fulfills their inner needs for the ideal outcome in their mind. Even if it is the same info we just discussed, the same info on our website, the same info they picked up from our booth at a trade show, etc.

Whats more than good in every aspect is I know they have the information I want them to have, it has been presented in the proper sequence and context, and they have three ways or places to reinforce their buying/booking decision. This really gives them confidence and peace of mind, and sets the exact expectation in their minds that I want them to have going into our booking. It ends up being perfect in every way.

As you can see it is a process, but it is a process specifically designed to meet our exact needs and positioning, to meet their exact needs to make a confident decision and trust their event to us as professionals, they have us positioned as experts in their mind that we are there for them and to serve them throughout the entire (often scary to them) process, and we have created the basis for what will be a continual and on-going process. They also don't realize it yet (at this point) but we have positioned them to receive all of the praise, credits, kudos, and accolades for finding and booking such fantastic entertainment for their event. This is one of the benefits they will receive without even knowing about it at this point or at any point in our process. I/we just know that it will happen when the time is right.

Only the phone (or a live in-person meeting at a conference) can do this. Certainly no hands-off or automated process can achieve all of this. It is the Sales Performance/Presentation that make sit all work and it must be offered live to both physically and psychologically work as it does.

It's really that live discussion (phone) that establishes and secures the relationship. The promo kit just serves the purpose of them wanting some takeaway information if they don't book at the end of our discussion, which most do if they can. As far as lower bounce rate from our website that is unimportant to me or my businesses. We do not use SEO, keywords, or want to appear in search engines as it works against our business model. Now I realize this is not how most want their websites to perform and not how a website fits in with most other business models. Again, we have created a system that is specific to us, or business model, our positioning, and our needs. We do not want our websites to be found, only by invitation only (but that is another story for another time, lol). Trust me if you were intentionally searching you wouldn't find our websites. It's funny because there are a few some old websites that people think are mine from 20 and 25 years ago that they will find on the internet and right away they think they've discovered something which they didn't. But it is always funny to see these guys THINK they found or know something when they really haven't, lol.

This is also why I always say it is important to learn from an industry position, not from a "this-is-how-I-did-it-and-you-can-too" position. I realize most are not in my markets, most do not have the same business model as me, and most's process will be different and created just for them and their markets and business model. Definitely not monkey see, monkey do.

Yes, professionalism (by my 50 point definition) is strongly at play in every facet of all of this at all times. Thanks for the great questions and asking for clarification.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Yes Mindpro, thank you. I have learned more in this thread than any of the books I tried learning from.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I second this.
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Yes Mindpro, thank you. I have learned more in this thread than any of the books I tried learning from.

Thanks mindpro for the further clarification, I have the wrong initial take away sometimes.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Trust me you guys, you are not alone. I see this (and hear this from performers) on a daily basis, literally. So many don't know what they don't know. The problem with magic and most types of performers in general, is there is no gatekeeper and it is very much self-learned. So they tend to learn from others thinking "they must know what they're doing" and we see how and where it goes from there. They really don't know.

This is why performers do coaching and I have created the services and resources I have, because much of this is just not available anywhere. (Trust me, I am only scratching the surface here with this free info). You can learn much more in a much lesser amount of time when you have the right resource with the right information. The whole process and learning curve is greatly expedited. You can get to profits much more quickly, even for part-timers.

The real problem is finding that person or resource when they don't exist or rarely exist. Unfortunately, this info is really more crucial in the very beginning when performers attention and mindset is on other things. This is why I say this is a crucial point in their learning and education and the last thing they need is to be derailed or offered incorrect, inefficient, or general (non-specific) information. It does damage. Long-lasting damage. What I typically see happen is once they discover a bit of this "real" information from an industry perspective, is they will want to go back and correct it all or start it over again. It often breathes life back into the performer and their business, but they all always say the same thing - I wish I knew about this being available when I was just starting out."

I said the same thing too, which is why I do what I do and have created the resources I have. Thanks guys.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

Hence the whole point of that entire other thread.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Still working on the initial question “I don't know how to talk with people to sell them something if somebody ask me about show I will tell them the price and think this is ok. But I just want to get more gigs so I want to read something about marketing because I think my marketing skill is 0”

We've discussed the Elevator Description which is the first step in knowing how to talk to people about you and your business. I've offered several formulas to use to create the proper Elevator Description, which addresses the initial "what" to say and "how" to go about it. Then, I mentioned the 3 "P's" to use once you have your Elevator Description. Each of these are important when talking to others about your business, as well as in every other facet of your business. In person taking to someone, when networking, in your Sales Performance/Presentation, in your booking process, onsite before and after your performance, in any and all followup, and yes, even in your performances.

The Elevator Description provides you the "what" to say in a specifically designed framework, but the 3 P's are what brings it to life and gives it soul. It contributes to the prospects first impression of you and what you are saying in your Elevator Description. These 3 P's are a component that will determine what others think of you and your level of credibility. It will be the initial basis to determine if a relationship will be created, and will directly equate in the mind of your prospects and customers the value to what you offer. It will directly be related to your reputation in the way others see you and your company.

The first "P" is Professionalism. Professionalism is a foundational component that will determine many things, including if they will choose to listen to you and even hear a word you are saying. Many performers are very unprofessional, very casual, and unpolished, very unprepared, very amateur. Because of this, being Professional actually really stands out in the minds of your prospects and clients. Being Professional makes you sound educated and intelligent, and knowledgeable on your topic (of being a performer.) It offers instant credibility and often will separate you and your business from others they may have talked to. Also remember, another perception element here, when a layperson contacts you about your specialty, in this case being a magician or entertainer, they are doing so because they see you as an authority on what you do. They trust and expect you will help them, guide them, and educate them. To be able to address all of their questions and concerns and lead them to make an informed decision best for them and their event/venue. This is their perception and expectation. When handled professionally, you not only answer their questions, but provide specific information that they as laymen would never realize or think of in a million years on their own. They turn their trust to you as this specialist and authority. It is important to remember this. Professionalism helps make all of this happen for you and in your favor.

So what is Professionalism? What makes one a Professional? A Professional is comprised of many things on many levels. It is up to you as a performer, and now a specialist in what you do, to learn and understand this on all levels. I have a 50-point list of things that makes a performer a true professional. In the book I sent you (Tajrung) I listed a 25 of these points starting on page 17 as just a beginning starting point. Each of these are so important to remember. I also have in the past talked about how entertainment business has its own set of rules and some of these appear in this area of Professionalism.

Professionalism has several meanings.

Let me first say that professionals can come from all shapes, sizes, races, walks of life, areas of the country or world, economic backgrounds, and so on. There are no real barriers, as entertainment welcomes everyone.

Operating as a Professional encompasses many things. While there are varying definitions of what is considered a Professional, the only one that really matters is that of the clients who are paying you money to perform.

Some feel a Professional is someone who makes their living working in their area of specialization, others feel it is someone who earns the majority of their income from their area of specialization, and yet others feel you must be full-time before being considered a Professional.

My definition of what a Professional is encompasses many things. It begins with any time you accept payment for services, you are a Professional. More so, any time your client has the “professional expectations” we just discussed, you are operating as a Professional.

I am constantly amazed at what some people believe and accept as “professional.” By definition a “Professional” is:
1.) Someone who has received advanced education in a specified occupation
2.) A person that earns compensation, or makes his or her living in an occupation (in part or full)
3.) A person who is an expert at their work.
These are good initial criteria for a professional, but let me assure you that there are plenty of people out there that meet these criteria, who are far from professionals.

Along with this three-part definition of being a Professional, I’d l take it to another level. My definition of a Professional includes many more elements but this is a great starting point.

A Professional operates at a higher standard of performance both during the show and behind the scenes.

The next "P" is something I talk abut in my coaching and trainings but I will touch on this here. It is Personality. Personality is something that while we all have to some degree, we all do not have it or use it to the same extent. Most do not have business Personality. Personality is a bit more difficult to teach, but once understood within the context of Professionalism it can easily be improved and executed to the desired level that your business, prospects, and clients require. It is a more invisible "P." While people may walk away and say "he/she was very knowledgeable, helpful, and Professional..." they will rarely walk away and say "that person had a great personality..." Some will immediately realize this if your have a great personality, but usually it is more under the surface. They experience it and feel it without even realizing it. Personality and Professionalism when combined create a strong entertainment business entity that can be very assuring and even persuasive which allows you to never have to be salesy or pushy. Personality is a secret weapon in both the business operation and in your performance that pays huge dividends for you and your business. Some even relate Personality or character. Some personality can easily come from a character, but for most they only think of this in terms of their on-stage performance, when the best use of any such character should be throughout your business operations, not only your product (performance.)

Personality is one of the strongest secrets to a successful entertainment business. When combined with the full and proper definitions of Professionalism you have just trumped about 95% of any other performers in your market. Since these are not easily and fully understood by most performers, they ignore them which makes those that do understand and realize this stand out to your prospects and customers so much more.

I tell those I work with not to overlook these and to initially spend as much time as possible on this to create the perfect positioning for your business. This is what makes people like you, respond to you, trust you, want to work with you, separates you from others in your market, and even makes them want to refer you to others. These "P's" will directly result in bookings and profits!

The third "P" is Pricing. So many performers get all shaken, jittery, and disheveled when it comes to the topic of pricing. Some dread the idea of discussing this. This is all because they don't know how to do it properly. In actuality it becomes quite easy, nonthreatening, and even fun when you know how to do this properly. Rather than dreading it, you actually are excited to get to it - when done correctly. There is a right way to offer pricing and many wrong ways. When it comes to pricing this is something you must have total control over and when you offer it you absolutely must do so with Professionalism and Personality.

Prospects will usually ask for your pricing up front only because since they are using the typical layman's consumer "default" mentality, that all they can think of to do. As a Professional our job is to expect this and understand this perception and why it happens (default mentality) and prepare and take control of this. In reality it is likely impossible to answer their question in the way they are expecting. It is important to know and realize this. "I have an anniversary party for my parents, how much would you charge to perform there?" It is literally impossible to answer his unless you have a sole, single price for all occasions and bookings. You don't, or shouldn't. But this is the consumers default mentality. "I need a new tire, who much will it be?" Even in this context a one price answer will not work. They need to know the make and model of car, they type of tire they want, the brand of tire, do you want to just buy the tire and leave with it or would you like it mounted, balanced, etc.? Most service-based businesses can not give a quick exact price to their questions. We as entertainers are no different. More information is required to give them a more exact price. This needs to be professionally explained to them without you feeling evasive or as if you are avoiding their question. No other service-based business feels this way, you shouldn't either.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that we must, in the foundational level, decide the inboarding process we want new prospects to take upon learning about us. Do you want to direct them to your website, do you want them to fill out a form, do you want them to call so you can speak to them in person, do you want them to send up a flare? You must create the process (or funnel as some say) to get them into your world on the terms you have established that works best for you. In doing this you must determine where in this process you address and offer your pricing (and/or packages, options, etc.) Once determined you will feel a whole lot more comfortable with this topic of pricing and controlling the discussion and process, and the addition of Professionalism and Personality will make this a win-win for both you and your prospect.

I will leave this at that for now, but shortly we will delve deeper into pricing and packages, but since it is a topic of its own I don't want to derail this topic of the 3 "P's" by doing too deeply into Pricing. We will next, so if you have any questions about Pricing, ask away.

So these are the 3 "P's" and how they can directly affect your business, positioning, value, customer experience, image, reputation, performances, and almost every single element of your entertainment business operations. These, when combined with your Elevator Description will allow you to easily, comfortably, professionally, and informatively speak to customers to create the situation and environment to best present your business and services with the greatest chance of success and conversions when you get to the Sales Performance/Presentation. When all put together you will create an authoritative entertainment business in your area/market with the positioning you need to create a profit-making machine. You will create the ideal way to speak to your prospects to best align with your (and their) desired results.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I am interested in your pricing guide.

I am a Kids Birthday Magician. I have looked at the other options in my area. Such as Arcade, trampoline park, ect. I used those metrics for my own pricing.

I have often in my pitches used the cons of these alternatives and offered how my show gives a solution to those issues. Such as Arcade seems great, but you don't get to truly see the birthday party after the arcade cards are given. It becomes a free for all. I offer the solution of a show that brings the entire party together.

Good thread, thanks!
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
On the subject of professionalism, what is a good response time
to inquiries?

Some folks say you or your team should respond within 2 hours.

One person on the Café, (i won't say who) gets back to me within
10 minutes of my sending him a message.

"Lowe's" will never get back to you.

So open question to anyone, What's your response time?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Fedora wrote:
On the subject of professionalism, what is a good response time
to inquiries?

Some folks say you or your team should respond within 2 hours.

One person on the Café, (i won't say who) gets back to me within
10 minutes of my sending him a message.

"Lowe's" will never get back to you.

So open question to anyone, What's your response time?

Are we talking actual responses or automatic responses?

I tend to get back to people within a few hours. Normally within a half hour.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Actual responses, a half hour is pretty good in my view.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Great question. I think it really has more to do with your business model than anything else. I (or my office) always prefer to answer them live, but this is due to the fact that we do many conferences, conventions, and expos where it is a live situation. When it comes to the phone, I prefer we also answer live since that is where they are in the moment with their mindspace and interest and wanting to get information. Now I realize that isn't always possible with those that work a job or only operate a part-time entertainment business.

I would say as soon as possible but hopefully within 10-15 minutes, try for no longer than 30 minutes. You may have to check messages more regularly or use a service if necessary. Again, you need to understand the mental and psychological process to many prospects as they're inquiring, especially in consumer markets. Unless they are calling with interest only in your service (again this depends on you inboarding process) they may simply contact the next person on their list or in their search where they found you. So getting to them first can be essential. Same for emails, return them asap before others can get on their radar.

This is also becomes a matter of an issue I cover in my trainings and coaching which is Customer Service Vs. The Customer Experience. I want our prospects to have a very specific Customer Experience from the very first contact. One that we KNOW others can not give them. We are sooo committed to this and actually spend more time and effort on this than anything other than our Sales Performance/Presentation. This is also the thing we get straight "10s" on our post followup report every time. To us, this is just a part of the relationship-building process, but most performers never even understand this concept or the differences between the two, even if they provide any Customer Service at all. This is also a huge part of our success.

Unfortunately, Customer Service and The Customer Experience is at an all-time low in our country at the time, so having even the basics of this can really stand out to prospects and customers.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2022, Andy Young wrote:

I am a Kids Birthday Magician. I have looked at the other options in my area. Such as Arcade, trampoline park, ect. I used those metrics for my own pricing.

I have often in my pitches used the cons of these alternatives and offered how my show gives a solution to those issues. Such as Arcade seems great, but you don't get to truly see the birthday party after the arcade cards are given. It becomes a free for all. I offer the solution of a show that brings the entire party together.

Good thread, thanks!

I always prefer not to deal with or have negatives in my businesses or presentations. By discussing cons you are doing two things I try to stay away from - 1.) dealing in negatives, 2. talking down about other businesses in your market(s). Then of course in doing so you are also planting alternative entertainment options and suggestions to the prospects, even if you are presenting them as cons.

There is a way of doing it that is not negatively which is what I hope you are doing. You should never have to put others down in an effort to build yourself up. Rather than do this I discuss what I call our "20 Things" which is also part of the foundational level creation which allows you not to focus on the cons and weakness of others, but the benefits and uniquenesses of your business.

In the foundational level I provide a framework and formula to determine the right pricing for your business based on some initial positioning, perception, and of course your market(s.)

While I can see how those metrics can come into play, they are not always present in the mindsets of the majority of your customers. I agree party places that are more full-service can come into play, but in the education process in your proper Sales Performance/Presentation these can be addressed and presented in the light you desire. While these metrics are great to know and can be utilized in certain places, always be sure you are comparing apples to apples and not watermelons to kumquats.

I am a big proponent of packages as part of a performer's pricing. Do you offer packages? How do you offer your prices?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2022, Andy Young wrote:

Good thread, thanks!

I always prefer not to deal with or have negatives in my businesses or presentations. By discussing cons you are doing two things I try to stay away from - 1.) dealing in negatives, 2. talking down about other businesses in your market(s). Then of course in doing so you are also planting alternative entertainment options and suggestions to the prospects, even if you are presenting them as cons.

There is a way of doing it that is not negatively which is what I hope you are doing. You should never have to put others down in an effort to build yourself up. Rather than do this I discuss what I call our "20 Things" which is also part of the foundational level creation which allows you not to focus on the cons and weakness of others, but the benefits and uniquenesses of your business.

In the foundational level I provide a framework and formula to determine the right pricing for your business based on some initial positioning, perception, and of course your market(s.)

While I can see how those metrics can come into play, they are not always present in the mindsets of the majority of your customers. I agree party places that are more full-service can come into play, but in the education process in your proper Sales Performance/Presentation these can be addressed and presented in the light you desire. While these metrics are great to know and can be utilized in certain places, always be sure you are comparing apples to apples and not watermelons to kumquats.

I am a big proponent of packages as part of a performer's pricing. Do you offer packages? How do you offer your prices?

I don't normally talk about the other businesses. When I do, I don't reference them by name or what they are. It only comes up in select conversations. It mostly comes up when the customer is asking how my show works compared to other entertainment. It is part of the education for them.

I do offer two shows for the kids category. I am looking at some other items to offer such as magic kits with personalized instructions, but haven't got there yet as I am not satisfied with what I see out there.

Thanks
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I do want to add that the cons of other types of entertainment is through the consumers eyes. It is what I have personally seen from birthday parties and with talking with other parents over the years. My kids are out of the age range for those parties now.