The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: How Do I...Entertainment Business? (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are they booking the guy who DID the kids show the first time? I thought that was the line you were drawing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
No. That wasn't my intent with it.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've never looked down on kid show performers, but I stopped doing them when I was in my early teens. There were times when I was younger than the group I was performing for. Anyway, I've known many guys that make a killing just doing kid shows.

In the late 90s, I knew a guy that almost only performed on the weekends yet made a ton load of money. He also had what I believe are called up-sell items. I remember him telling me about hamster races. The parents could pay more money and he would set up this little track and had hamsters with little numbered coats on. The kids would bet play money and I guess win prizes and candy.

I know he worked his tail off on weekends, but then had the rest of the week off to do whatever he wanted. I'm sure there are many out there that would love that lifestyle.

Anyway, let me not break in here because Danny and Mindpro know more about this stuff than most people I've met through the years. I'll leave so you all can LEARN.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hey no problem! You’re exactly right and as I said guys who look down on kids show performers either don’t know the deal or are just insecure about themselves.

Glad to see you here Greg.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I have always said that the professionals should thank (and some do) the kid show magicians and the hobbyists for keeping magic alive because without them magic would be dead. There would be less public demand to buy tickets and there certainly wouldn’t be any magic shops selling their products.

I can remember several years ago when I had the pine belt magic forum and K James had his forum, we did a survey on both forums about this and there were several ‘name’ magicians chimed in saying they had started out doing kid shows and still highly respected those that did kid and family shows. I personally think it's mostly the oddball mentalist & hypnotists that would never credit kid show performers as being real magicians.

Anyway, the Trix Cereal promotions have been convincing the public for 40 years that ‘Trix Is For Kids’ Smile

Ok, I’m done, carry on

Tom
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
So how to you guys set up pricing for your show? Do you have different packages or add-ons? How much extra revenue do add-ons make for you percent wise?
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Though I don't have specific percentages andy, I can tell
you upsells can increase your revenue considerably.

Upselling add ons is better over the phone than on a
website in my opinion.

But listing multiple packages can increase contact rate,
for example, having the lowest package at or below
market will get the "price shoppers" through the door,
and possibly in a possession to Upselli.

As always, I don't pretend to be an authority, but that's
what I've found.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have found your "price-shoppers" or bottom of the barrel prospects typically will not buy add-ons or upsells. They usually are only interested in the lowest price, so add-ons and upsells work against them and their normal buying habits. That is why qualifying prospects will quickly identify these type of prospects and allow you to determine if they are your target customer or not.

First, there is a difference in add-ons and upsells. It is important to learn the differences as they are not interchangeable. This is the same as cross-selling and upselling.

As I have mentioned before your pricing and if you use packages will be determined in the Foundational level questions you must answer to establish your business as this will dictate many things, including pricing/packages.

Much of this depends on understanding the psychology, mindset, and expectations of your target prospects. Understanding their default mentalities and if you are going to educate them on how to research, shop, and buy (book) live entertainment, or you are just going to operate out of default mentalities. Also if you are serving consumer and professional markets since they both shop and operate differently. For this discussion we will assume we're talking about consumer markets.

Many factors come into play with varying degrees of results. In general numbers about 4% is the industry standard for online upsells, whereas in live sales situations (in person, phone, or via Zoom and other in-person live mediums the numbers of accepted offers is just over 34%. Fedora is right and this really demonstrates the different between the online and automated sales or booking process and the live, in-person process. Conversions are extremely higher for in-person resulting in thousands of dollars a year you may be missing out on by "not wanting to talk to prospects."

Then it depends on the purpose of your intentions. Are you just trying to get more out of each booking client? Are you just trying to promote your most profitable offerings? Are you trying to offer a unique market offering? Do you have a preferred offering you are trying to offer? Who are you targeting (as this will determine a lot)? What services do you offer?

So to me the real questions is...

1. A straight price - which is money for dollars
2. Multiple Prices
3. Straight or Multiple Pricing with Add-On Options
4. Packages - Multiple Prices
5. Packages - Multiple Prices with Add-Ons
6. Upsells to your Pricing or Packages

One must weigh the pros and cons to each and how they best fit in with your business model and positioning.

Also, what are the variables?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Although Tajrung seems to have not posted here lately I have heard from him by PM stating that he is caught up on all of the info I've posted here so far. I know it can be a lot and others have chimed in moving things in a couple of different directions but since I know he's still following this and since I promised back on page one to answer his 7 questions, (and as long as we don't attempt to be derailed) many of which were likely addressed in the book I've sent him, I will get back to his questions to answer all 7 of them here.

1.) How to get new customers. How to make people like me and how to be more charismatic

As I mentioned earlier The first rule of business is you MUST know how to be able to talk about your entertainment business. If you can’t properly talk about your business you are not in business

Two things…1. Know what you’re going to say (Elevator Description, Sales Performance/Presentation), and 2. Personality and Professionalism.

We’ve covered both of these so far.

2.) How to keep old customers with me. Remarketing my show. How to make them to remember my name and recommend me to your friend

Making them remember you comes from Personality, Professionalism, Positioning, your Presentation (your Sales Performance) and the connection/relationship you’ve established.

It also encompasses many elements - you (personally, your business operations, your interaction with them, your materials, your performance, the look and feel of your and your show, etc. Rarely is it just one thing, although the one thing that gets the majority of my efforts and attention is the Sales Performance/Presentation. Because it can encompass many of the others within it.

To make them refer you to others comes from a combination of having a good show/performance, a great customer experience, suggesting referrals, and the ability to see the value you brought to them and their event.

In short, you want to make sure they are talking about you long after the show has ended. You want them ranting and raving about how good you were and how you made their event a success. Not just saying this to you following your performance (I don’t count that as real), but what they are saying to others days, weeks, and even months following the event.

This is why testimonials are unimpressive to me. Sure you can pretty much get anyone to say anything right there in the moment to your face, that’s not a big deal. As a professional, that should be expected. But it is what they say away from you to others they know and trust that leads to referrals!

It also takes some seeding and ,,,, there is something in business sales called “asking for the sale.” You have to create the optimal scenario for this to happen. The same holds true for generating referrals you must create the optimal circumstances for this to occur.

I strongly believe every professional performer should have two things:

1. A Referral Program - a structured method or system. They have to like you and be impacted by your performance to refer you

and

2. A Fundraising Program - not just booking your show at fundraisers, but an actual fundraising program system that allows others to best utilize your performance as a high-profile, high-profiting Fundraising production. That teaches and shows them how to do it.

Both of these are missing from most entertainment businesses.

5.) How to talk with customers when they call me. How to explain to them that I am better than the other magicians.

and

6.) How to sell my show with a phone call, when I call to somebody

These are essentially the same in that you begin with your Elevator Description and then transition into your Sales Performance/Presentation.

In both you must decide your position from which you want your business to do this. This is a very important factor that is usually decided in the Foundational aspect of establishing your business (one of the foundational decisions).

If it hasn’t been you must go back and readdress it to establish your path and position.

I don't know if Tajrung is actually doing these exercises and things I am offering which is why he hasn't been back here or if after getting the book he has set off on working on all of this. Hopefully he is getting this and is finding it helpful.

Questions 3, 4, and 7 will be forthcoming if he and others are still following this thread. Let me know!
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I can't speak for taj, but I've been following this thread regularly.

Interesting that you suggest a fundraising program, do you believe
that would be useful outside of the school market?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely!

I only use it primarily in the school market because that is my primary market, but I also use it in may many other markets and applications. As I said, I believe every professional performer should have a fundraising program (whether it has anything to do with the school market or not). There is so much to be gained from this for your entertainment business, not just profitability, and is one of the best feelings of utilizing your show to truly help others in need (in many ways - raising money, creating awareness, a drive, press and media, celebrity affiliation, networking, etc., all while generating future business for your company.)

Thanks for following the thread and asking questions That's how we all learn.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I too am following along with this thread. I am enjoying learning things I wish I had known.
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
I follow the thread all the time, all the answers are very helpful for me. I don't write back too often because everything is clearly explained to me. Thank you for your time I am sure it will help not only me
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That’s great to hear Tajrung. I’ve been getting several messages from members asking if you are still here and following this thread, so I’m glad you’ve chimed in. You must understand, we have many people that pop in here to seek information, many take the time and effort to provide such helpful information, only to never hear form the original poster (OP) ever again. Even in their own thread! They pop in, take the info they need or are interested in, then are never heard from again. This makes many here hesitant to assist until they know someone is a contributing member and appreciates the effort from those providing assistance.

Now I understand that there is so much nonsense and BS that is very off-putting to have to deal with, tolerate, and wade through to stay invested to get to the good stuff, the real info you are seeking, and I am sorry for that. As you can tell it is easy to see where this comes from, but as I always tell people and still contend, the real-world information from those living and operating in entertainment business can provide details and information you simply can’t find from other resources. I appreciate you posting to let us know you’re still here. I would also hope you let us know how this info is affecting your journey, your current business, and progress. As you can tell, we are interested.

With that said, let’s get back to addressing some of your other questions.

Part 1

How to write a sales offer?

Writing a formal sales offer is not something typically done for general bookings although some markets may require it (some corporate and professional markets), however in your country this may be more common.

In the U.S. and many other countries simply having prices or a pricing and/or packages page is usually enough without the need for a formal written offer or proposal. This is where entertainment business is often different that other service types of conventional business.

The following information will also be in response and addition to your Pricing Response Control Statement I mentioned as covered earlier (when prospects are asking your prices.)

The first step is determining your performance markets as each may have its own standard method of operating. Since you are in the beginning of establishing your business and moving away from the restaurant work as you detailed earlier, you will more than likely start accepting general types of booking with some targeted interest in weddings and corporate bookings as you mentioned.

Pricing and Packages is something that I typically suggest to be created as part of the Foundational process as you are creating your business. During this point you need to decide the preferred markets you want to work toward and specialize in. During this process I suggest researching the markets you want to work towards to determine the market rates/pricing for typical bookings. Let’s use the wedding market for an example.

What type of booking are you most interested in targeting? Strolling/Tablehopping magic during cocktail hour or after dinner? A closeup show from a stationary location during the event? A stage or feature standup show after dinner before dancing? How long of performances?

What you are trying to determine is the current market rate for these types of bookings. You can use this as a guideline or starting point in deciding your pricing. Do you want to be priced at market rate, above, or below?

You can also use this to determine packages. Each of the above could be available independently - or - you could package two or more of these, such as

Package 1 - an hour of strolling magic as guests arrive, followed by an hour of closeup during cocktail hour and an hour following dinner for one price, let’s say $450.

Or…

Package 2 - an hour of strolling table magic during cocktail hour, followed by a 30-minute custom stage show following dinner featuring the bride, groom, bridal party, and parents/siblings of the bridal couple, for one price let’s say $650. (Just examples of course your market pricing may be different).

You may even want to have a Grand Wedding Magic Package that includes everything - an hour of strolling magic as guests arrive, followed by an hour of closeup during cocktail hour, and a 30-minute custom stage show following dinner featuring the bride, groom, bridal party, and parents/siblings of the bridal couple, for one price let’s say $995.

While of course not everyone will want the “Grand Package” you will find that there are those that must always have the “best” and you will serve some of these people with this type of package. Most people will tend to take the more mid-priced package, while others only one individual offering.

If you have only a single price you are creating a take it or leave it scenario. People like choices, options. This way they can choose what they want/need without feeling they have to pay for somethings they don't want/need.

Hopefully you get the idea.

You must decide what your area of specialty is. Then the pricing for such individually. Then decide if you want to package anything or only have as individually priced.

Also remember, from a marketing point of view, every wedding performance is a performance showcase of you and your business. Most adults in attendance will have someone in their family that will be getting married as well. Most adults also work and may likely have corporate events or employee holiday parties. These are all bookings that can come as a result of you working wedding before an adult audience who may also have buying/booking power. They may have other types of events such as birthdays, anniversaries, retirements, graduations, ethnic events, and so on which can also create bookings from your wedding performances.

Also remember, there are additional types of possible bookings within the wedding market such as bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, and morning after present opening breakfasts/brunches that can also be possible bookings as well.

You can essentially do the same for the corporate market or any market you research. Magic had a general appeal at all types of markets, venues, and events.

Just having a pricing sheet or packaged pricing sheet usually is enough. However, if there is a need for creating a formal offer or proposal you can use the same information on pricing and packages, but have a more structured written format. I have an sample of this in my Entertainer’s Business Toolkit (page 144). Include a general description of your proposal or offer, some biographical and background information about your business, your offer and pricing, and then a concluding paragraph or two summarizing your offer and the expected results they will receive.

This is not only a formal written offer of your services, but should include portions of your sales presentation including seeding, options, highlighting the benefits they will receive, and the solution to their needs, meeting or exceeding their interests and expectations.

Again in most markets here in the states this would not be necessary it may differ in your country. I think having a pricing and or package sheet as part of your sales presentation is typically enough, especially accompanied with the rest of your presentation.

In which places I should try to sell my show?

Now we are getting to the marketing part of your business with addressing this question.

Let’s review what we’ve addressed so far to get us to this point…

You must have a market-ready performance

The first rule of business is you MUST know how to be able to talk about your entertainment business. If you can’t properly talk about your business you are not in business which we addresses by creating your Elevator Description. We have created both your 10-Second Elevator Description and your full Elevator Description.

We discussed the 7 necessary tools that you need:

1. A business card, post card, or brochure - something to present them NOW!

2. An Elevator Description of exactly how you want to present and position yourself and your business. This is the 10-second promotional description of you and your business in the exact way you want be seen and experienced. You must control this. This 10-second Elevator Description will be the most important tool in your business. It, when done properly, will create and generate thousands of dollars for you and your business. This will answer your questions of “what do I say” and “how do I do it?

This will also be used in all of your marketing and promotion, on your website, in business directories, in networking, when discussing with anyone in any situation who asks “what do you do?” or “tell me about your business?” Trust me this is more important that you will realize.

3. A way to qualify them as truly being interested and being someone you can truly serve with your services

4. A way to obtain their contact information and next step in your process

5. The next Call To Action In your process - take them to the next step

6. Have a way to collect, write down, or record notes of your conversation, their contact info, and any other pertinent details or things discussed (date of event, location, times, their interests and expectations, etc.)

7. A promotional piece to follow-up with them - a brochure, one-sheet, promo video, etc.

We discussed strategic Seeding in your performance, after-performance, and in your Sales presentation and marketing materials (one-sheet, website)

Pricing Response Control Statement

Business Needs:

- Foundational Decisions
- Name/Identification
- Elevator Description
- One Sheet
- Business Card
- Website
- Video
- Sales Performance

Promo Kits/Promo Packs
One-Sheets

Being A Sole Performer - Being an entertainment company
Possibilities of starting as Agency

Understanding the Prospect’s mindset, approach and expectations when talking to you (when shopping or inquiring about entertainment)

it is important to learn from an industry position, not from a "this-is-how-I-did-it-and-you-can-too" position

"Perception is more important than reality”

"Always think 3 steps ahead of yourself.”

it is sooooooo much easier to start and run an entertainment performing business today that it was in the 60s. 70s, 80. and 90s before the internet

The path you want prospects to take onto your business world (or funnel as the online gurus want to call it)

Passive Vs. Action

Name For Your Performing business - Your Name Vs. Company Name

The main "3 Ps" including pricing issue you mentioned

Professionalism
Personality
Pricing

Any time you accept payment for your services there is a new level of expectations in the mind of the client or customer. A new level or standard at which you are expected (whether it is your first show, whether you are only doing this one in a while on the side, etc.) to operate, execute and perform at a professional level. You must meet these professional expectations

Now we must put all of these elements together in creating your Sales Performance/Presentation.

Sales Performance/Presentation

You have heard me mention and refer to this several times in these pages because in reality, this is the single element will determine your business’ entire success. Many performers think the most crucial element to a performing business is their show or performance. I will disagree with this (yes, the performance must be as great and polished as possible without a doubt) as I truly believe the most important element is your Sales Performance/Presentation, whether in-person or by phone.

I have seem many great performers sit at home with no bookings because they did not have a great Sales Presentation/Performance, while seeing many mediocre performers having more bookings than other performers can believe because of having a great Sales Presentation/Performance.

You should put in at least the same amount of time, effort and importance in your Sales Presentation/Performance as you have your show or stage performance.

This is and will always be THE KEY to all of your marketing, promotion, and sales efforts - period.

This is how you talk about and present your business and offer your performing services. This is really the most important element of your business. It presents, encapsulates, and summarizes the reason prospects should hire you. It strategically presents and positions, your business, while addressing the questions and concerns of your prospects from their perspective.

It establishes your credibility, knowledge, experience, and reputation. It establishes the exact positioning you desire for your business.

It creates the trust knowledge, and credibility making you the real only choice for their entertainment needs. It also establishes a relationship setting the ground for future business in the forms of referrals, rebookings, recommendations, and more.

It informs, educates, and excites, while presenting and showcasing your performance and service offerings. It address all concerns, pricing and packages, additions or add-ons, benefits and perceptions.

It brings up and properly positions things the prospects has never even though of yet. It educates the prospect on how to properly research and purchase entertainment. It takes them from being an unformed, uneducated layman, to a knowledgeable, informed, and confident consumer.

All from the prospects point of view and understanding.

They may come in saying “I’m not sure where to start,” or “I’ve never really done this before and really don’t know how to go about this/what I’m really looking for” to having the knowledge and intelligence to make the best decision for their needs and event. It is a transformation for them.

In doing this you not only turn them into an educated consumer, but have positioned your business as their real only true, best option. You have qualified them. You now know that even if they do not book you right then and there on the spot, that you have just set the bar against which any other performers they may research will be considered. The is the ideal and perfect position for you to be in.

Take the time and put in the work to create strong and effective Sales Performance/Presentation for your performing business. We are performers, we create a performance from start to end…this is exactly what you are doing here and why this should be easiest for performers than most other types of business professionals. This is what we do!

Work on this now as there is no point in proceeding any further until this is in place.

You can not be market-ready or begin marketing until this is firmly in place.

As a coach, mentor, and consultant I regularly (literally each day) have performers who signup for my services. Some for full coaching or consulting, but many others for my review and critique services. Usually to review their websites, promo or demo videos (two different things), one sheets and promotional materials, and for many that understand its importance - their Sales Performance/Presentation.

While I will not share here all of the elements and my proprietary template to do this (this is reserved for my students and clients) I have provided you the basics which should be more than a enough to get you started and I can assure you more than any other magic marketing book or resource has ever provided.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for your contributions throughout this thread mindpro,
going forward, when someone asks how to get started, I'll probably
save my time and theres and point them to this thread.

One question, you mentioned promo and demo videos being different,
usually, (at least as far as magic goes) I've heard it used interchangeably.

what do you find to be the difference? in either use or content?
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
Hey, thank you for a solid dose of knowledge, in my dreams I didn't expect to get such help on this forum. I was sure that it had already died but from what I see it is doing very well. My life has not changed dramatically since I wrote this post. Which is not to say that it is not helpful.

I finally know what to do, I don't ramble and wonder unnecessarily about things but I finally do because thanks to you Mindpro I finally know how.

Currently I have written myself a 3 month plan which involves creating a product that I will be happy with. In the meantime, I wrote to all the old photographers to get my old photos from the shows. Some of them I got, so that I have posts planned for 2-3 months for Facebook and instagram and I will upload something there. I wasted a lot of time having very few posts on fanpage. My instagram stopped being a "private" instagram with some cards some private photos and became more of a business instagram. Most importantly, I understood that there is nothing to be ashamed of uploading photos from the show and I started doing it. There are certainly a lot of mistakes in it, but at least something is happening. Thanks to this I am in touch with my old fans. I've been to a photo shoot so I already have more professional photos ( as professional as my budget for a photographer allowed me Smile ). I got the photos recently so unfortunately only now, I am starting to create a one-sheet and an offer, I will insert my services on various sites. I already have a plan for that. I didn't want to do it without photos. During this time I have also legalized my business more.

I go to the library to focus on creating the show and on my business, I started treating magic as a business and not as something I like and will allow me to pay the bills. I look at effects differently, I stopped being fanatical about some effects my show is now for the viewer and I am all for the viewer too. I'm focusing on being more "charismatic" I'm trying to have better interpersonal relationships and be confident in everyday situations. I have changed my thinking about business and seeing myself as a magician. I've also written a script for a phone call with a client when they call me, and I have a table in an accessible form where I can highlight what I asked the client and write down the most important information regarding the show

All the things you wrote are very important and very helpful to me, I can't even tell you how happy I am that I put this post here and that you decided to help me. I have changed my thinking about life and that is the most important change I see so far. The most important thing that has changed is that I finally have a plan and I'm not wandering around and wondering needlessly what I should do.

For sure when creating these things like one-sheet I will once again read this forum from the beginning to make the most of the knowledge you have given me.

I'm sorry I've spoken so little, but every interaction and message I have would 100% look like this: "Thank you very much I didn't look at it from this side, I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way. It changed my perspective on the subject a lot."

For now I have decided that I will do marketing under my name, but marketing as an agency/event company I really like, it seems more professional. I think that in 2 years when I graduate I will convert my fanpage as a company. I want to get my first regular clients by then and then create an agency.

I will definitely come back to this thread all the time. I also try to read other threads on Tricky business but I will 100% read every comment that is written on this particular one

Can you explain more about the difference between promo and demo videos?

Thanks again, this thread has definitely helped a lot of people
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
I'll quickly add, the very fact that going into the wedding industry you can also try to sell shows for bridal parties or bachelorette parties is something I had in my mind but certainly wouldn't have started selling it if you hadn't written this
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, thank you for your kind words. I wanted this to the the kind of thread Tricky Business should be about. Not just about random opinions, but true, to the point, real-world answers for real world performers operating an entertainment business, and those with a desire to learn more to hopefully do this one day.

What you have just explained is what I do on a daily basis - helping others in their entertainment business and it ultimately has a strong impact and affect on their lives. It is very rewarding to help others with information and assistance that wasn't available when I was stating out, and really still isn't available today, which is why I do what I do. Even though it happens and I hear this regularly, I still take it very personally and am touched when someone expresses how much it means to them and their family.

We had anther young performer here several years ago that was majoring in business and entrepreneurship college/university with the plan of becoming a full-time performer. He won many academic awards, entrepreneurial scholarships and awards, and so on. I once stated what I know and teach in my coaching and consulting is like getting a PHD in entertainment business. Once we started working together he said that it was true, he learned more directly useful and applicable information specifically as it related to his business than any of the formal education ever came close to prepare him for. Business education is based on general or conventional business. The more we get into things the more apparent it becomes that entertainment business is different, in many cases opposite, in so many ways. I don't like to explain it other than casually mention it, but as you begin to experience it, it becomes eye-opening.

The thing to remember is that it is a process. A process that is comprised of many steps and actions. So it is wrong to expect that this can be done in a day, week or even month. But hopefully, as you stated, it gives one clarity and direction, creates a vision or wide open possibilities, AND an approach to pursue it without overwhelm and frustration.

I do hope this thread will continue on beyond just answering the initial questions you had. Questions will always continue to come up. Learning is a continual process. Learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do, and why/why not.

Thank you for your update, I and I'm sure others appreciate it and who knows, it may inspire others.

As I regularly say, and Danny as well daily, this place (Tricky Business) can be the absolute best and most helpful and valuable forum on The Magic Café when kept free from distractions, agendas, and trolling. This is the place to learn in a way that directly affects our income, profitability, and every aspect of entertainment business operations. This simply is not available anywhere else. Once we get into my own proprietary methods, it is even more valuable and unique, and even more "can't be found elsewhere."

Thanks for sticking with this thread and the topic, and I encourage you and any others following this thread to ask questions, to get involved and have the desire to learn more. Regardless if you are a newbie or a seasoned pro, there is still much that can be learned.

I will address the Promo Video Vs. Demo Video topic hopefully later today when my schedule permits. This is definitely an area where clarity and understanding are essential or, as many we have seen here before, you can spend a lot of money and still now be satisfied or have an effected business tool.

In the magic community the typical thinking when buying a book or a course is that "if I can just get one or two things/ideas from it, it will be worth it to me." It is a shame that this is the standard. I believe in offering these types of takeaways, breakthroughs, ah-ha moments, lightbulb moments, and things/ideas on a regular basis. In every session we have or on a daily basis in posts and topics here. I remember when I was writing the book I sent you, I was giving a 40 minute presentation, so I remember thinking "okay, I want to give 40 great takeaway points so it would need to be a must have, no-brainer resource for all in attendance. That's how I approach the work I do with performers. In the Coaching thread (that was also very helpful to many even though the flaming and ganging up still occurred as it always does here) I still get messages from so many claiming how helpful and eye-opening it was. This is how learning and education should be. Easy, direct and applicable.

Thanks again, and stay tuned, more is yet to come.
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
I know it's a process and it will take a long time before my business is doing well. Thank you for your help, also I hope this thread is not over yet and there will still be valuable information here
Tajrung
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Tajrung
Wow once again I have to say thank you very much.Once again, I read the entire thread and took notes from it, everything that is written here I implement into my life Reading the whole thread from the beginning brought up a few questions.Mindpro would you still be kind enough to, say a little more about one sheets and brochures. It is not popular in Poland. I don't think anyone has it, I haven't heard of it. As a rule, it lands in a way that everyone has a business card and their offer in a pdf. Could you explain the difference between a one sheet and a brochure? Do they serve the same role and can they be used interchangeably. Or is it worth having both a brochure and a one sheet. Do you include price information for the service on brochures or one sheets?

You wrote:
Quote:

I strongly believe every professional performer should have two things:

1. A Referral Program - a structured method or system. They have to like you and be impacted by your performance to refer you

and

2. A Fundraising Program - not just booking your show at fundraisers, but an actual fundraising program system that allows others to best utilize your performance as a high-profile, high-profiting Fundraising production. That teaches and shows them how to do it.

Both of these are missing from most entertainment businesses.

Could you confirm that I understand this correctly:

The way I understand it is that A Referral Program is a set of behaviors that will make people like me (interpersonal skills) and a good show where they will be engaged and enjoy it

A Fundraising Program is a sort of education system for my client that will explain to them why they should hire me and what benefits they will get from hiring me again and how, and why they should recommend me