The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Tenyo 2023 coming soon… (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Great to hear! Looking forward to getting mine.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Just ordered mine too. Sounds like this one is a keeper!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Here are a couple of afterthoughts.

First, the demo shows a sheet of tissue paper placed on top of Mr. Danger. You do not have to do that. You can perform the effect without any paper covering.
The purpose of using the paper is to show that although there are holes in it, Mr. Danger is unharmed. An added result so to speak. That flexibility is nice IMO. I have not yet decided which way I plan to perform it. May try both to see the reactions.

Second, the prop, two clips and 11 daggers are small enough to fit in many shirt pockets so easy to carry around and truly a pocket trick. I found the set to be smaller and sturdier in person than it appears to be in the demo. I like that!

This really turned out to be a delightfully surprising method for me. I had two other methods in my thoughts but missed the mark. It is so much better than what I was thinking it would take to achieve the effect. Purely Tenyo clever gadget like what they released so many times in the past which so many of us love. IMO, they have done it again.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
It appears that the spectator can put the swords in. Is that right.

Best

S.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

They could.

Some of you will call this a mechanical marvel. That is what I would call it.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2020 Posts

Profile of Platt
Pretty cool looking. I assume the answer is no but can Mr Danger and props all be examined?
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Brookie2644
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Brookie2644
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2022, Platt wrote:
Pretty cool looking. I assume the answer is no but can Mr Danger and props all be examined?

Yes!!
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

The accurate answer is not really. I do not want to expose the method here but can tell you that you cannot just hand over everything. Just not a great idea!

Like I have said many times before, having spectators examine props should only be done under certain circumstances and not with every trick you perform.

Mr. Danger does not need to be examined. You handle everything so freely that they do not need to examine anything. You can hand them the daggers if you allow them to put any in place. Your spectators will feel that they are seeing everything freely when you perform the trick. That is one of the nice things about Mr. Danger.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2020 Posts

Profile of Platt
I'd guess the clips shouldn't be handed out. Assuming that's correct, it would be nice if they provided 'ungimmicked/non-activating' clips to switch out.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

So, I was checking out demos of MR. DANGER on YouTube and found two ideas which I think are really good ones.

One is making use of a small display stand sold in craft stores to hold the prop while piercing it with the daggers. Not for everyone but could be a good idea if you are performing the effect on a table.

The other is taking some silver metallic paint or marker and painting the daggers so only the handles are red. Seems to emphasize the dagger as a strong piercing object.

I am expecting more good ideas for both dressing up MR. DANGER as well as alternate performances. If I come up with any I feel are worth sharing, I will post them here. Hopefully, others will do that as well.

Here is one idea. Instead off using plain tissue paper, maybe a yellow paper with black printing stating CRIME SCENE, DO NOT CROSS or DANGER, DO NOT ENTER or something like that can be used.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just came on to echo all the previous good comments regarding Mr. Danger. It’s much better than I expected too. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I like the tissue paper idea and making it out to be a crime scene.

Excellent Tenyo prop. I’m extremely pleased with it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2022, Magical Moments wrote:
The accurate answer is not really. I do not want to expose the method here but can tell you that you cannot just hand over everything. Just not a great idea!

Like I have said many times before, having spectators examine props should only be done under certain circumstances and not with every trick you perform.

Mr. Danger does not need to be examined. You handle everything so freely that they do not need to examine anything. You can hand them the daggers if you allow them to put any in place. Your spectators will feel that they are seeing everything freely when you perform the trick. That is one of the nice things about Mr. Danger.

I agree in part but honestly I thimk that this is one of those effects that I feel invite examination and spectators should be allowed to do so.
If a spectator were to ask if they could look at it to tell them no or otherwise deprive them of the opportunity would be doing a disservice to this effect IMO.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
I like this prop very much and goes back to the "good old days" of Tenyo, lovely solid looking props with great mechanical secrets! However, I performed this the other day for a group of friends (not magicians) and one of them said after I performed it.. "I used to have as a kid a box with a coin and lots of plastic nails that I could push thru, I guess this is similar".
I kind of felt cheated of my magic moment of glory when he said this, even though its not the same workings he didn't seem too impressed and thought it was just another toy magic trick like those millions of Coin and nail trick that appears in every magic set for kids!!!
Despite his comment, I still love this effect and will continue to show it. Worth every penny!
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
481 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I was pleasantly surprise by the quality of the effect when I received Mr. Danger. The issue I'm experiencing is that the orange plexiglass man fits so snug in the compartment, that I'm having to pry it out with a paper clip, otherwise; I'm having hit the prop against my opposite hand to disengage the orange plexiglass man from the compartment.

Is anyone experiencing this issue and if so, what have you done to resolve the issue?

Thanks,,,
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

It suggests in the instructions that, if the fella dos not fall out, you should take one of the daggers and push it through from behind to disengage him.

I just turn it over and lightly tap the box and he falls out.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

By the way, I developed a kind of sound effects for the fella each time a dagger is inserted. Kind of a humorous presentation because I am more comfortable with that then something serious. In fact, at least a bit of humor has always been my preference when performing an effect. It fits my personality better than trying to be mystical in a serious manner. Not me!

So, each time I insert a dagger, I say something in a voice which could be considered coming from Mr. Dagger. It could be OUCH or practically anything which fits the situation. I did the trick that way for my wife and she got a kick out of it. Entertainment in a wacky way so to speak.

Let me know if you can relate to my approach. If you cannot relate, please ignore my thoughts rather than clobber me with a reaction. Smile
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
481 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I do understand your approach/ sense of humor....

Allowing you and the participant to insert a dagger one at a time, you could use one of these ...

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Easy-Button/product_606396
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
952 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2022, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
I like this prop very much and goes back to the "good old days" of Tenyo, lovely solid looking props with great mechanical secrets! However, I performed this the other day for a group of friends (not magicians) and one of them said after I performed it.. "I used to have as a kid a box with a coin and lots of plastic nails that I could push thru, I guess this is similar".
I kind of felt cheated of my magic moment of glory when he said this, even though its not the same workings he didn't seem too impressed and thought it was just another toy magic trick like those millions of Coin and nail trick that appears in every magic set for kids!!!
Despite his comment, I still love this effect and will continue to show it. Worth every penny!

'when I was a kid I got a cool trick where you could put daggers through a coin. Don't tell anyone, but the secret was that the coin had space to move, so it could get out of the way. I always wondered if it might be possible to put daggers through an object that could not move one bit. Now that's WOULD be magic...'

And off you go.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
'when I was a kid I got a cool trick where you could put daggers through a coin. Don't tell anyone, but the secret was that the coin had space to move, so it could get out of the way. I always wondered if it might be possible to put daggers through an object that could not move one bit. Now that's WOULD be magic...'

And off you go. [/quote]

Exactly. I have been breaking out my “kid’s magic set” spiked coin to demonstrate first. Makes a great story.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2022, Platt wrote:
I'd guess the clips shouldn't be handed out. Assuming that's correct, it would be nice if they provided 'ungimmicked/non-activating' clips to switch out.

For the price, I am tempted to get two. It would be easy to modify. I believe most specs will be satisfied handling the box, swords and the plastic man.