The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Magicians who were also ventriloquists (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm working on an article for Ring 103's newsletter _The Wizard's Eye_ about magicians who were also at least at one time in their lives ventriloquists.
Off the top of my head these names come to mind: Jay Marshall, Bob McAllister, Johnny Carson, and David Copperfield. I think I could also include Shari Lewis in the list.
Can anyone suggest other names?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
kamlet
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of kamlet
Off the top of my head....

Richard Potter
Al Baker
George Schindler
Terri Rogers
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Rick Fisher, the owner of The Fab Magic Company.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Todd Oliver
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob Jepson who did a great disecto using a glove puppeet and a recreation of Edger Bergen sawing routine.
Percy Abbott, Tom Mullica

How about ventrilooguists who were also magicians? Edger Bergen
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
A Few don't know me - Ralph Rousseau, with "Rusty and Cici"- Pictured in profile - we knew , friends with Edger Bergen and Alibi Turhune -(Cowboy Vent of the 30'-60's) SAM #22, RR
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Andy Gross, Glenn Haywood
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Bob Jepson was an awesome performer and a very nice guy.
He was booked for TAOM in San Antonio one year. He killed! He was the highlight of that evening's show.

By the way, another magician who was also a ventriloquist was George Blake, who was billed as "The Conjuring Ventriloquist."

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2022, hugmagic wrote:
Bob Jepson who did a great disecto using a glove puppeet and a recreation of Edger Bergen sawing routine.
Percy Abbott, Tom Mullica

How about ventrilooguists who were also magicians? Edger Bergen
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Msx Terhune was a big name vent in the early westerns and worked with his figure in the movies.

As for Bob, the first convention I ever worked the Columbus Magi-Fest had me open followed by Bob and General Grant closing. You look at Bob the first time and you think "who in the heck booked this guy?" He reminded me of a larger version of Boris Karloff. But he also killed it and did at every convention I ever saw him work. Rosie and he became dear friends. He passed much to early from cancer.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
John Ramsay
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Bill DeMar (William Crowe) was one of the most talented entertainers I've had the pleasure of knowing. Not only did he reach the top levels of ventriloquism (inventing such bits as the tape over mouth), he did similarly in several fields. Like his lifelong Friend, Dr.Faust (David Hoy) he was a master mentalist and memory artist. He was also a well known stand up comic, emcee, hypnotist, fire eater and, of course, a master magician. His books on ventriloquism are often referenced like we magicians reference the Tarbell Course.

A good portion of our local IBM Ring is dual magician/vent including Bill DelMar, Joseph Franklin, Michael Eakins, and Norris Priest.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I ran across this thread. I have combined vent with my magic shows for over thirty years. We just finished up building an automated baby bassinet which I performed a brief baby vent routine:

https://youtu.be/mo7oKe68lQo?si=nMG7mi2Tq3_GKY0v

Chuck C.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Paul Stadelman was a magician/ventriloquist who started the "Vent-O-Rama" meetings that were a part of the Abbott's Magic Get-Together.