The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Prisoners Silks (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I decided to purchase Scott Alexanders Hanky Panky, but bought it used. Long story short the DVD is scratched right at the part where Puck begins describing the prisoners silks. This was such a disappointment and I am trying to figure out what to do now.

I let it sit in my magic drawer for about a year and a half but I am determined to get these prisoners silks up and working now. It is such a gorgeous finale to the 20th century hanky-panky routine and I simply cannot leave it out.

I found these Prisoners Silks from:

https://magicgoods.com/products/prisoner-silk

Has anybody had any experience with these? Am I able to throw the silk up and have it capture between the other two silks just like the hanky-panky routine? Its only $14.99 which is great.

Or does anybody else have any other recommendations besides delving into Rices encyclopedia?

Thank you kindly to anybody who could help me with this.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
"Hanky Panky" is based on a routine by Dutch magician Marconick as described in his book _Marconick's Original Magic_.
https://magicref.net/magicbooks/booksjr/......icb1.htm
It's relatively easy to put together a set from ordinary silks.
The book has a lot of great ideas for other routines with cards, balls, bottles, etc. I do a version of his "Silks Shaker" with the addition of using Slush Powder to change liquid into a 36-inch Rice Starburst Silk.

One of my presentations of "The Prisoner Silk" is to do the trick as an opening effect. I come out holding a red and blue silk in my hands. I tie them together and then I gesture to the white boutonniere lapel, and as I pull the red and blue silk apart, the "flower" leaps from my lapel, transforms into a silk, and ties itself between the red and blue silks. Then I place the three silks in a Tear-Apart-Change-Bag and change them to an American flag.

Marconick was a truly creative magician.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Your effects sound amazing. I’m simply in love with the visual of prisoner silks. Would you recommend the set they’re selling in the link I posted in my original post? I love performing but arts and crafts definitely is not one of my forte‘s. Lol. Or maybe you can make me a set and I will see you some cash lol. I really appreciate you stopping by and sharing your input on this. Thank you
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Believe it or not, I am still searching for a prisoner silks set without breaking the bank. I included a pic from magicgoods.com, but I just do not want to buy a dud that does not work.

Here it is: https://magicgoods.com/products/prisoner-silk

Does anybody have any experience with this particular set? … or any set?

Thanks
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Why don't you write to Puck I an sure he would help you if you explain the situation.
Yes, It is based on Macronik silk book which was printed in three languages no less. I believe I have an extra copy here someplace that I might be able to find and sell.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2023, hugmagic wrote:
Why don't you write to Puck I an sure he would help you if you explain the situation.
Yes, It is based on Macronik silk book which was printed in three languages no less. I believe I have an extra copy here someplace that I might be able to find and sell.

Write Puck? Hmm… not a bad idea!! I’ll do that! I’ve been trying to construct one myself but it’s very tedious .. I’d just like to purchase one. Did you check out the one I referenced? I’m not sure if I should try it out.

Thanks
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I actually did write him. I asked if he sold them and if not if he could construct a few pairs for me and I will pay him.

That would be sweet!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Prisoner silks produces a wonderful effect. But it has to be the number one failure point in competitions. I have personally seen it fail a dozen or so times over the years, the last one being at the 2022 IBM convention. One year at Abbotts three out of four competitors fumbled with it! When people get nervous they don't get it set right.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
When you talk to Puck tell him Richard Hughes said hey.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
underthetree
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of underthetree
Now the Hanky Panky is changed to online explanation.
If you don't receive help From Puck, I may offer some help.
PM me if you need
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2023, underthetree wrote:
Now the Hanky Panky is changed to online explanation.
If you don't receive help From Puck, I may offer some help.
PM me if you need

That would be amazing. I sent you a PM.