The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Good handling/sleight cards for younger magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RoyalRd
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of RoyalRd
I'm hoping to help a young magician find cards better fitted to his hands so that he can practice sleight of hand out of some classic books with standard poker cards as well as something more proportional. Any tips on good decks that'll handle well and size down a bit?
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Any bridge-sized deck should work well. Bicycle makes a bridge size.
RoyalRd
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of RoyalRd
Thanks Will, I know bridge decks are narrower but the ones I've found have been the same length. This is for a ten year old and I'll look around but if others have found anything, feel free to post
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you can find mini cards, try those. To make them handle better, rub some bar soap on the backs of the cards. I soap cards, to slick them, using Jergens Soap. I've been told that Dove works. Old timers used Cashmere Bouquet soap.
RoyalRd
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of RoyalRd
Thanks Alan, that's a great tip!
RoyalRd
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of RoyalRd
FWIW, wound up getting some bicycle minis. They looked like the best quality cardstock available at an intro price. I'll update with any thoughts on them if that's worthwhile, thanks again to everyone for weighing in.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Minis might work but I have a feeling they will be too small. For instance I think a riffle shuffle would be difficult. It might be a good idea to just cut down a regular deck either manually or taking it to a print shop to do in one cut. Cut maybe a quarter inch off of one side and one end and then using a corner rounder fix the corners. That way you would still have one index available and the Bicycle quality stock. It's been awhile since my kids were ten but I think that would be more proportional size than minis.