The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Announcements (Please Read) :: Thank you everyone! (198 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey gang,

I wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one you for your continued support of The Magic Café™.
We have been thru a few bumps these last few weeks and you have all been very patient and supportive in your phone calls, emails, private messages and even a few donations along the way. I sincerely thank you all. Yooz da best! Smile

Over the last twenty plus years since The Magic Café™ has been online both the magic community and the world around us have been thru many changes. That is life and the way of things. Technology has come a long way and society can barely keep up it would seem.

When The Magic Café™ first began the Internet was a much different entity. There was no Facebook or Twitter. In fact, social media as we know it now really didn't exist. I was living in the boontoolies and had a dial-up connection. Its hard to believe but it's true. Wow, how the times have changed.

Although the world has advanced with high-speed Internet access, advanced tech gadgets such as so-called smart phones, tablets, big screen televisions, electronic watches and the like - people themselves really haven't changed all that much. Though the tech has advanced and made life simpler the thing that makes us human is still with us as it always has been - passion and emotion. That is the one thing we all have in common. That said, it should not surprise any of us that a hobby such as magic can sometimes invite serious debate and disagreements amongst those who are heavily engaged with it.

In that light, you can only imagine what it must be like bringing thousands of magicians together in a single setting. Odds are there is going to be trouble. It really doesn't matter whether it's here on the Café, the Genii Forum, facebook groups or anyplace else on the Internet for that matter. People just can't help themselves. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I would like to believe that most folks are good hearted and mean well in their conversations with others online. Sadly that is not always the case. Smile

Case in point would be these past few weeks. While my tech team and I were busy dealing with unforeseen circumstances beyond our control and doing our very best to get the Café up and running again, the magic community was full of some of the craziest bits of dis-information, gossip and mean spirited ramblings beyond even my own imagination. People who apparently have a deep repugnance and hatred towards our Café community and myself crawled out of their slimy holes and showed everyone just how angry and miserable they must really be in their own pathetic little lives. It is apparent (at least to me) that these people are prime examples of narcissists who are obviously unaware of their own blatant insecurities. At any rate, these folks are extremely unhappy and bitter and as most of you are aware - misery loves company. How unfortunate. Smile

Having said all of that, I must admit I was sorely tempted to respond to these naysayers. But then I realized this would only pull me down to the level of their conversation. I think it’s obvious that most of the criticism is self-hate because they didn’t come up with the idea which became The Magic Café™ and that this community gives the average Joe a platform for his or her thoughts. It’s a community and as such they don’t feel like they belong. In the end the Café was the first to market and became the biggest - so all eyes are immediately upon it! For a website nobody likes they can't seem to stop talking about us, amusing really.

I will say this; we have been thru a lot over the years, but thanks to your enthusiasm, participation and continued support we remain as ever. You should never forget that behind all the code and tech are human beings. As such we are far from perfect and we sometimes make mistakes - keep that in mind. Finally, always remember that The Magic Café™ is and always has been a work in progress. Many of you got your start in magic here, made friends and were given many opportunities in magic you may not of otherwise had. For that I am grateful and ever thankful that we are a community and share the love of magic together. Thanks again for taking this journey with me.

As ever - Steve Brooks

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The Magic Café here has been very tried and true. Thank you for your efforts. It is still my favorite magic forum.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The Magic Café was the very first magic forum I ever joined almost 20 years ago now, and I continue to regard it very highly. It would be a very sad day for magic if it disappeared forever, given the wealth of information that can be found in discussions past and present.

So I'm glad that you and your team were able to get things up and running again, Steve. I'd like to personally thank you for the excellent resource you have created with this forum, and wish you the very best for the future. I know that you and your wife have also had to deal with serious health issues in the last year and a half, and I sincerely wish you well in dealing with that too.

As always, Steve's post above shows that he's a true philosopher and thinker. If anyone is wondering what it's like to run a magic forum, I invite you to read a detailed interview that Steve did with me about 18 months ago, on the subject of magic and The Magic Café:

Interview with Steve Brooks on magic and The Magic Café

Steve has many wonderful insights, and I know that hearing him on these subjects gave me a new appreciation for the challenging job involved with running a forum like The Magic Café.

Keep up the good work Steve and team, and here's to many more years of The Magic Café!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Steve, it’s so great to have the Café back up. Thanks for all you do.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I am glad the Café is back!
Tony Raven
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Tony Raven
Yay STEVE! Such a valuable resource, even if it takes a lot of effort to sort through the crappy, bitter losers that waste time on vitriol. Congrats on all you have done and stuck through!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3170 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Steve, Thank you and all the staff here for all you do.

Welcome Back
Tom
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
This is an amazing resource, Steve. Invaluable and now contains valuable history too. Thank you for your service.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
The Café was my 2ND magic forum I joined after Penguin in 2003, and I miss the old Penguin forums which were great, and I wish they would bring them back instead of those new ones they have now which are absolute trash and completely unorganized. Luckily the Café has stayed mostly the same since then, so that is why I am still here almost 20 years later.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
746 Posts

Profile of canaday
So glad to see you back. YOu are a huge part of my magic world.
questort
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of questort
Thank you!
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Steve,
Thank you for all you do!
It is greatly appreciated.
Stay safe and well!
Peter Cuddihy
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Glad you are back!! But still gonna ask, what happened to the thread on LUX, my inquiries have been deleted twice, so respectfully asking why?

Norm Marini
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I’m so glad you’re back, Steve! The Magic Café is an amazing venture which endures only though your great generosity. It would have been tragic to lose this immense database of magical knowledge, which boasts contributions from some of the community’s finest artists. Thank you again for creating and maintaining this tremendous resource.

Arthur
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
ApprenticeWizard
View Profile
Regular user
Charlottesville, VA
170 Posts

Profile of ApprenticeWizard
Steve, Thank you and your staff for all the excellent work you all have done and continue to do to keep this site going. I do believe the folks with good intentions outnumber the bad so please don't let the trolls get to you.

Tom
Magically yours,
Tom Olshefski
453rob
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of 453rob
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2022, Steve Brooks wrote:
Hey gang,

I wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one you for your continued support of The Magic Café®.
We have been thru a few bumps these last few weeks and you have all been very patient and supportive in your phone calls, emails, private messages and even a few donations along the way. I sincerely thank you all. Yooz da best! Smile

Over the last twenty plus years since The Magic Café® has been online both the magic community and the world around us have been thru many changes. That is life and the way of things. Technology has come a long way and society can barely keep up it would seem.

When The Magic Café® first began the Internet was a much different entity. There was no Facebook or Twitter. In fact, social media as we know it now really didn't exist. I was living in the boontoolies and had a dial-up connection. Its hard to believe but it's true. Wow, how the times have changed.

Although the world has advanced with high-speed Internet access, advanced tech gadgets such as so-called smart phones, tablets, big screen televisions, electronic watches and the like - people themselves really haven't changed all that much. Though the tech has advanced and made life simpler the thing that makes us human is still with as it always has been - passion and emotion. That is the one thing we all have in common. That said, it should not surprise any of us that a hobby such as magic can sometimes invite serious debate and disagreements amongst those who are heavily engaged with it.

In that light, you can only imagine what it must be like bringing thousands of magicians together in a single setting. Odds are there is going to be trouble. It really doesn't matter whether it's here on the Café, the Genii Forum, facebook groups or anyplace else on the Internet for that matter. People just can't help themselves. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but I would like to believe that most folks are good hearted and mean well in their conversations with others online. Sadly that is not always the case. Smile

Case in point would be these past few weeks. While my tech team and I were busy dealing with unforeseen circumstances beyond our control and doing our very best to get the Café up and running again, the magic community was full of some of the craziest bits of dis-information, gossip and mean spirited ramblings beyond even my own imagination. People who apparently have a deep repugnance and hatred towards our Café community and myself crawled out of their slimy holes and showed everyone just how angry and miserable they must really be in their own pathetic little lives. It is apparent (at least to me) that these people are prime examples of narcissists who are obviously unaware of their own blatant insecurities. At any rate, these folks are extremely unhappy and bitter and as most of you are aware - misery loves company. How unfortunate. Smile

Having said all of that, I must admit I was sorely tempted to respond to these naysayers. But then I realized this would only pull me down to the level of their conversation. I think it’s obvious that most of the criticism is self-hate because they didn’t come up with the idea which became The Magic Café® and that this community gives the average Joe a platform for his or her thoughts. It’s a community and as such they don’t feel like they belong. In the end the Café was the first to market and became the biggest - so all eyes are immediately upon it! For a website nobody likes they can't seem to stop talking about us, amusing really.

I will say this; we have been thru a lot over the years, but thanks to your enthusiasm, participation and continued support we remain as ever. You should never forget that behind all the code and tech are human beings. As such we are far from perfect and we sometimes make mistakes - keep that in mind. Finally, always remember that The Magic Café® is and always has been a work in progress. Many of you got your start in magic here, made friends and were given many opportunities in magic you may not of otherwise had. For that I am grateful and ever thankful that we are a community and share the love of magic together. Thanks again for taking this journey with me.

As ever - Steve Brooks

---

I for one am glad that you are back. Some people just like to see themselves in print, especially in negative posts. Just ignore them and focus on the positive.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Steve,

You and your team are amazing, and I’m grateful for the Magic Café. It’s been such a great resource/data base for so many years, I’d hate to see it go. I’ve also made some good friends here as well.

So, I’d like to give you a big THANK YOU!!
Smile
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Glad to see you back on line. Thanks for all the work you’ve put into the Café.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
While it was down, I went browsing around.....the Café without a doubt is the BEST. So many thanks to Steve and staff. Lynn
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
124 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Long live the Café!