The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: BEWARE! Additional shipping costs from UPS (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
151 Posts

Profile of lhughes
Has any other magicians out there been held at ransom by UPS? I just completed two orders last week. One from Tommy James, where the items were shipped by USPS and the shipping costs were predetermined before I ordered. This went splendidly. The other, by Wonder Imagery, where the cost of shipping was not included. After ordering, I was told the cost of shipping was an additional $20 by UPS. I paid the additional money but yesterday received a notice from UPS that they are charging an additional $47.61 import charges. Since the item cost less than $100, the shipping was now an additional $67.61.
I contacted Wonder Imagery to inform them of this and they replied “We have no control over what your government charges in taxes and I’m a bit offended that you’d blame it on me.” Of course this isn’t a tax, it has nothing to do with import duties, or Canadian taxes. It has to do with UPS charging carrying charges. Wonder Imagery went further to explain that if I would have asked for USPS, they would have charged $8 more, but it could take 15-20 days longer to arrive. Funny thing is, my order from Tommy James using USPS standard shipping is here already whereas my order from UPS isn’t.
I tried to explain to Wonder Imagery that perhaps they should be aware of this additional costs to Canadians and be up front about this. They replied, “Should you choose not to order from us in the future because you didn’t communicate you wanted a different shipping method, I’m a bit puzzled at that, but OK. Where you spend your money is 100% your choice and I respect that.”
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
151 Posts

Profile of lhughes
After some emails back and forth to Wonder Imagery, we reached a more conciliatory attitude. Tim from Wonder Imagery wrote, “ I will try to put a note on the site in the shipping information section to let people know they are responsible for import/duty tax/fees and any brokerage charges by the carrier. It’s not just Canada - it’s all international destinations. I’ve never thought to add this to my site before because this is the first time in over 20 years of shipping internationally that it has been an issue.”
Thanks Tim, that might help.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of balzar
Import/duty tax/fees and mysterious "broker" fees are always a risk when receiving goods in Canada. In 30 years of having things shipped here, I can see no rhyme or reason to the system. Frequently things arrive without any additional charges, other times, inexplicably, the charges are exorbitant.
It was good of Wonder Imagery to take your concerns to heart, but it should hardly be a concern of theirs.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I've run into this a few times and it can be a real kick in the face sometimes, and make your orders unbelievably costly. And like balzar said, good luck figuring out when its charged etc.
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
I have stopped using UPS for this reason. I have been burned a few times with the additional cost
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Yeah if given a choice I will use any service over UPS
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Lorne,

On your other thread, I made a comment about getting items from the USA via UPS vs. USPS.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......44730#11

The topic of Customs Fees, GST Fees, and Brokerage Fees seems to be pretty "common knowledge" among many Canadian magicians, because we've been ordering magic and other items from the USA for many years.

Based on my experience... UPS will ALWAYS cost more for brokerage fees, and will LIKELY cost more for GST and Customs Fees. It's just the nature of using that method of shipping. But like I said in my other post, sometimes they are faster and more reliable.

A second observation I'll share is this... Based on my experience, UPS charges a minimum of $30-35 for Brokerage Fees, but USPS / Canada Post charges a minimum of $0-$5 for Brokerage Fees. And then GST & Customs Fees are on top of that.

A third observation I'll share is this... Some businesses offer to ship Internationally via various companies... USPS / Canada Post, UPS, FedEx, etc. But some don't offer options.

Not too long ago, I ordered a few hundred dollars worth of magic BOR items from Loftus. I had a choice of having my parcel (2 or 3 large boxes) shipped via USPS or UPS. Shipping was cheaper via UPS, and was more via USPS (something like $100 US vs. $150 US). Although I saved money by shipping via UPS, I paid more for Brokerage Fees. Sometimes that's where the tradeoff is.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Like balzar, the whole thing seems to be random and inconsistent. I've got notices 2 months after the fact that the Can. gov't wants an extra $150 import charges on a $350 item that I already paid import and taxes on. Like Revenue Canada, good luck arguing with them. So much for free trade eh.
Smaller items often slip thru with no extra charges. Packages not so much.
You can't really blame the Magic Shops at all. They have no jurisdiction over what we do in Canada and can't be expected to figure something out what in our own country we can't even figure out. lol If you want to blame someone, and the illogical and somewhat unfair policies....give your MP a call.
John Vincelli
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC
34 Posts

Profile of John Vincelli
American shops should do like Penguin and mark their package as a magic kit or magic set. This doesn't sound the "alarm" at customs as most people think that's just a kid's toy. Another work around I've seen shops do is mark the package as a gift and lie about the value. This usually helps.
John knows!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Or a better option is to order from a Canadian magic shop! No surprise custom fees, and you support Canadian business.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Purchased $160 item, got hit with a $93 duty tax. Insane.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I will only add a small note here. Magic tricks and novelties are duty free to Canada. I have brought illusions into Canada duty free. I always ask vendor to mark magic prop etc on the customs export document that they have to put on the package.

There is also a couple of courier fee levels and at a certain level their fees are waived. You would have to visit their sites to check it out, and I do not know how much more the cost is. On a high value small item it may be worth it as courrier charges are also based on the value of the imported item.

EDIT: The tariff item # is 9505.90 and the harm. code is 950590 this covers "Magic tricks and practical joke articles; parts and accessories thereof" This item cover the DUTY FREE import into Canada of these items.

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

John/Ben If the item is properly marked "magic" etc. there are NO duty charges from the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency for our American friends), I always spell out to a vendor what has to be on a magic props export documentation.

P.S. Tim did the same thing to me on my first order last night, on a follow-up e-mail the "free" shipping is now going to be about $30-40 CDN for about 7 silks. But shipping costs are not the vendors fault and I do realise that.

Of course I have also recommended to folks close to the U.S. border to see if there is a forwarding company on the U.S. side that you can go down and pick your items up at. You get to use U.S. shipping rates, and you get to clear it through customs yourself. I have done this with several large boxes from Loftus, and E-Z Magic. But it has to be worth your time, and travel.

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

So update on Wonder Imagery shipment (None of the shipping methods or costs are a reflection on Tim's service as he as no control on them.)

I was offered originally UPS at $18.00 USD (basic ground service). I have never been pleased with UPS service so that was out.

Next was USPS first class at $22.00 USD

And finally was USPS International Priority at $40.00 USD due to our high exchange rate at present this amount equals $57.00 CDN. Also from other dealers I understand the rates at the holidays are more with USPS. So this is the one I have chosen. It will likely be less in total than if I had selected the UPS with the service fees at my end.

I was surprised though that there was not a flat rate packaging from USPS that was not smaller and less expensive for the silks I am buying. Also surprised that he offered first class, as again from other dealers I have dealt with USPS priority has been the only one they say they can offer.

Anyway, looking forward to a new effect for next year's Christmas shows.

Blair
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
The services offered by U.S. sellers to international buyers are dependent upon the "provider" of their shipping account. For example, if I want to ship something from my account on the USPS website, I can only send items by priority mail or priority mail express and that includes not only internation buyers but even buyers in the U.S. You cannot send light items using first class service if you purchase your shipping on the USPS website.

When I ship to Ebay customers, I have the option to ship to most buyers using USPS first class rates for anything less than 1-pound. (Ebay offers many more options such as UPS and Fedex but I don't use them.)

I also use the Pirateship website to ship items and they offer 8-options for light packages to Canada. One of these is new to me and I have not used it.

Pirate Ship Simple Export Rate (definitely the cheapest)
USPS First Class
USPS Priority Mail
USPS Priority Mail Expreess
UPS Standard
UPS Worldwide (3-variations)

This may explain why some sellers don't offer certain shipping options.

I also remember that several years ago it was not possible to get insurance on USPS first class international parcels and that led me to stop sending that way. I don't know if that is still true but it may be.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

WOW...thanks for all that additional info. I also know that some use the on-line pricing for a package and when they get to the post office it is actually a fair bit less. I often approve the larger amount and request an adjustment when the actual price is known. On some larger items it can be significant.

Blair
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I find that most online shipping prices are less than the counter rate at the post office. However, if a seller doesn't know the actual weight + cost when listing an item, they may bump up the cost just in case and then find a lower rate when the true weight/size/service are known. This is especially true when they have not already picked out the box size and extra packing material needed to protect their item before listing it.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

It's going to be interesting.

As I was in no rush for the item and prefer USPS over UPS for reasons stated above, my order from Tim is now making a side trip to the United Kingdom (England?) from it's last stop in Miami, where it has now been since the 28th with no tracking update since.

But here is the point of this note.....On the e-mail to Wonder Imagery that I indicated the method of shipment and approved the $$$ amount, my VERY next comment was "Please ensure that package indicates magic effect on the custom document." Guess what the USPS label says "Category of Items - Merchandise" That's it, no mention of the type of product ie magic which would be duty free, so it will be interesting when the product gets here if customs will try to add charges.

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

So a little more looking into it....

I checked the Wonder Imagery shipping instructions on their shipping info page...

"International orders are marked as "merchandise" on the customs form and a reasonable value is assigned. Taxes and duty to be determined by the customer's home country and are the responsibility of the customer."

Despite me asking that they identify my package as a magic item/prop which to Canada has NO duties at CRA customs.

So if you are charged duties on your item due to the article not being correctly identified by the shipper it is your fault!

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Last update. LOL

So package received. It looks like the typed "merchandise" was written over with black marker to say "magic trick" (as I had requested).

So the only additional charges were the custom's service charge of $9.95 CDN, and the Quebec sales taxes (which I get credited for as a registered business) on the item and is based on the Canadian value of it. So NO custom duties.....as it should be on a magic effect or related item.

So it all worked out (still have no idea why it went to England to get to Canada though LOL). Cost was comparable with UPS for shipping and receiving and I did not have the worry of it sitting on my doorstep or running around to get it at a UPS depot. I have postal packages delivered to my post office box.

Blair