The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: How many effects??? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
On a avg how many effects do you do in 45mins?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Maybe 3 to 6 tricks for a 45 minute strolling gig.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
I’m confused by the question, is it a 45 min show or 45 min of strolling magic? If it’s strolling how large of a party? If strolling are you asking how many effects per group? Or over the whole 45 min?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2022, MagicVin wrote:
I’m confused by the question, is it a 45 min show or 45 min of strolling magic? If it’s strolling how large of a party? If strolling are you asking how many effects per group? Or over the whole 45 min?

Exactly. Much more information is needed to answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2022, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:

Ha! You beat me by 2 effects!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I prefer to have 2 different sets or 3 - 4 tricks.

The idea is if the table over was watching me already, they still get new magic and vice versa.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I just timed my close-up table show at 19 mins. I'm hoping with actual audience it might be slower but who knows could just be faster.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1697 Posts

Profile of Futureal
That’s absurd, you can’t table hop with a twenty minute show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If anything with an actual audience it will be longer.

When you are talking about having 2 sets you make it seem like you are already working, but then you say the opposite. Do you work the show yet?

I ask because if you work before the food arrives you won’t have beastly 20 minutes and after they want to turn the table. 20 minutes is unmanageable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I think I posted that in the wrong forum. Table hopping with a 20-minute set is beyond absurd.

When I went to University, I had a steady restaurant gig, and working the restaurant of course helped to get more private gigs.

After University, I focused more on starting my career in IT, but I'm at a point in my life again where I can dedicate substantial time to practicing and performing magic again.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I know many professionals who do 20 minute sets. They gather up to 20 people and do their act, then go the next table. This way the only do their set 5 times an evening an cover the whole room. Works perfectly well for corporate events. Seen it done and done it myself.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
I agree Rick, this is a fantastic approach. Performing this way I have always found that it really gets most peoples attention in the room because you know have 20 people laughing and clapping rather than a few!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is all ascot about where you do the show.

In many settings 20 minutes is absurd. In other a perfect idea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
Very true Danny. Does depend on the setting. Though if it's a larger venue That's spread out or outside, having a large group around you (if you're actually entertaining them and making them laugh while performing) really helps grab attention from all the others attending the vent that are not standing there watching you perform.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If grabbing attention is the issue maybe that needs to be worked on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
If grabbing attention is the issue maybe that needs to be worked on.

Not sure what you are trying to say but my thoughts are once I start performing, I never need to "grab" attention. Attention is brought upon us simply from the spectators laughing and having a great time. This is the true magic for me! Making people laugh (along with some OOOooo's and Ahhh's of course) through magic. I am simply saying that in my larger strolling venues I perform for, it's definitely not a bad thing when the excitement and fun from the group you are performing for is noticed by other attendees at the event who you have yet performed for.

If you think you have to "work" on getting attention I think you are in the wrong business. If your good at what you do and making people laugh, the attention will be brought to you simply from your crowds reactions.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You said it helps to grab attention from others at the event, not me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
You said it helps to grab attention from others at the event, not me.

And I concur with that statement - If your natural performance is good enough to have everyone laughing and having fun, yes, that definitely will grab attention of others at the event with anticipation of you approaching them which is a great thing!

Grabbing attention should not be an issue as you stated. I would hope it would come naturally from a great performer was my point. One should not have to "work" on grabbing attention. I think you missed my point and it may well be I didn't explain myself clearly.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
An awesome book that explains a lot about walk-around/strolling performance and operating a magic biz in general is Jamie D Grant’s “The Approach.” He may still have a few hard copies available. I’m pretty sure that you can also purchase a download copy.