The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Broom Suspension (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Hi all,
I'm looking to build/have built/or buy a broom suspension set.
I'll be the one suspended and I'm 6' tall and 165 lbs, so, a bit bigger than the average person I see suspended.
Any thoughts on the ha*****, fabricators, or where to find used, and wondering if anyone has considerations for suspending someone of my size.
Thank you in advance!
Matthew Poki
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
I found an old abbots broom suspension used. Anyone use one of these that has an idea of height or weight limitations and quality?
Thanks !
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I do not perform this illusion but was fascinated watching the Magic of the Pendragons DVD series where they go over it in great depth. Unlike 'midair' style suspensions, there is a lot more to the decision than weight capacity. There are two types of mechanism and several designs of h********. The proper combination is needed for comfort, smoothness of performance, mobility, and (very importantly) ability to unsuspend! If you haven't seen this DVD, it may be a worthwhile investment prior to shopping to ensure you get a unit which is optimized for what you want to do. DVD #4 with the broom suspension is currently about $20 at penguin magic (with free shipping) and vanishing, inc.: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11145 and https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......vd-set/#
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, poki wrote:

I'm looking to build/have built/or buy a broom suspension set.

I'll be the one suspended and I'm 6' tall and 165 lbs, so, a bit bigger than the average person I see suspended.

Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, poki wrote:
I found an old abbots broom suspension used. Anyone use one of these that has an idea of height or weight limitations and quality?

I am doubtful that the old Abbott's unit would be sufficient for a 6' ft. tall 165 lbs man. As I'm sure you have noticed , most traditional illusions are fabricated to be performed with a female assistant who is slender and petite. There's a reason for that .

I think your idea could work , but you'll need to consult with a competent illusion fabricator.

The reference given to the Pendragon's illusion video is something I would heartily second. That's a good place to start .

I think the Pendragon's take on this illusion was excellent , but the one that always sticks in my mind is Richiardi Jr.'s version of the Brooms.

Two different versions performed by Richiardi Jr. -

https://youtu.be/P_p3CcB_x6Q?t=134

https://youtu.be/SABOxRvYojY?t=1560

(I recall seeing a better quality video of his performance from the 1960's , but it seems to no longer be available on YouTube.
Hopefully, someone will re-post it.)
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd recommend EDF or Bill Smith on this - both would be the best bet on building a heavy duty suspension to the required weight limit.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Peter "Gossamer" may be able to give the specs on his unit and the weight limitations. It is a short one, so for a 6' person it my be "awkward" for them.

In the "Le Grand David" show David was floated on the broom suspension. He is a good 6' if memory serves me, but not sure of his weight. According to the sales document it was an Owen Suspension that they had. While they are no longer in production at Owens you may want to reach out to them (Alan) through the Owen's Facebook page. They may have a harness still in stock, or at least be able to give you the weight spec. for using it.

I have a modified Alcorn one (in addition to my Gossamer) which has been extended down the leg, and the release is on the leg below the knee, not in the traditional hip/waist placement. It provides extra support for someone not trained (and taller), but does require an extended costume.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
john magic wright
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
You’re gonna have to go to one of the top builders Bill Smith magic ventures and have him custom make one for you there’s no shortcuts with these tricks
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2022, FrankFindley wrote:
I do not perform this illusion but was fascinated watching the Magic of the Pendragons DVD series where they go over it in great depth. Unlike 'midair' style suspensions, there is a lot more to the decision than weight capacity. There are two types of mechanism and several designs of h********. The proper combination is needed for comfort, smoothness of performance, mobility, and (very importantly) ability to unsuspend! If you haven't seen this DVD, it may be a worthwhile investment prior to shopping to ensure you get a unit which is optimized for what you want to do. DVD #4 with the broom suspension is currently about $20 at penguin magic (with free shipping) and vanishing, inc.: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11145 and https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......vd-set/#

Thanks for the tip! I didn't end up watching this but sounds interesting for one day.
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Quote:

I think the Pendragon's take on this illusion was excellent , but the one that always sticks in my mind is Richiardi Jr.'s version of the Brooms.

Wow, love these shapes. Thanks for sharing.
poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2022, Blair Marshall wrote:
Peter "Gossamer" may be able to give the specs on his unit and the weight limitations. It is a short one, so for a 6' person it my be "awkward" for them.

In the "Le Grand David" show David was floated on the broom suspension. He is a good 6' if memory serves me, but not sure of his weight. According to the sales document it was an Owen Suspension that they had. While they are no longer in production at Owens you may want to reach out to them (Alan) through the Owen's Facebook page. They may have a harness still in stock, or at least be able to give you the weight spec. for using it.

I have a modified Alcorn one (in addition to my Gossamer) which has been extended down the leg, and the release is on the leg below the knee, not in the traditional hip/waist placement. It provides extra support for someone not trained (and taller), but does require an extended costume.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Thanks Blair!
I ended up finding a used Gossamer. I talked with Peter to confirm weight and height capacity and he said it would all be good, and it is! I feel safe and secure up there and its very easy to find costuming to work. I do find that the curve does not line up so well with the curve of my hip and I wonder if it would feel safer if the hinge point was higher up my side? So maybe it is on the small side? Would be awesome to try out some other options and look into more bracing, but until then I'm I'll be happily performing with my gossamer!

Click here to view attached image.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Looks like you’re about to do a 180. How cool would that be? Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Poki,

Glad I was able to help and that Peter was also. He is a great guy and I spent a good amount of time with him when he was here in Montreal for an extended club run. He even used my Alcorn base for several t.v. appearances.

Blair
sashko
View Profile
New user
Russian Federation.
14 Posts

Profile of sashko
I made this illusion.
my pole is 180 centimeters.
girl weight 50 kilograms
For 2 months I could not lift it, although my height is high.
190 centimeters.
my decor is a street clock.
therefore the pole is not as thin as that of a broom.
therefore, there is no terrible play, bending of the pole, although it is very high.
also keep in mind that the stool must be calibrated in height for the assistant and his shoes so that you can easily insert the hinge into the pole.
it is better to make a stool adjustable in height.

I was dissuaded from a high pole.
but I think that any levitation should be high.
I do not believe that you can lift a person with the weight in question.
maybe if the pole is low and it is up to your chest.
besides, I had big problems with the metal in the place of the hinge.
all weight falls there.
the metal was bent.
I replaced this place with high carbon metal and increased the area of ??the contact point in the hinge.
if the metal sags by 2 millimeters at the point of contact between the pole/karset, this leads to a lowering of the legs by 2 centimeters.
this illusion should be aesthetic and the girl should hang exactly in a horizontal position.
and not like socks on a rope. There are few such performers.
we can see a lot of videos on youtube when it is not possible to throw a girl from 45 degrees to 90 from 1 time.
because it's hard.this must be done very sharply, as if you are throwing a barbell up in the gym in order to throw it above 90 for the gear to work

in addition, the tooth on the gear for the 45 degree position should be above 45 so that it would be easier to throw it at 90.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Agree with other comments on the angle of person, the suspended person must be at 90 degrees not have feet bending down etc.. the photo Poki used in this example above in the blue suit just looks so bad in positioning and in height above the top of the broom.

I performed this for over 20 years in theatres and used a lite weight girl with a special strong harness made locally and did not go to the 45 degree position but 1 clean movement from 2 poles under arms,remove stool, remove 1 broom then lift to 90 deg Horizontal, very easy and looked great. As with most Illusons its about looking visually as its meant to look and the music and choeography gives you a fabulous Illusion, I always thought the 45 degree angle position gave away too much of the mechanics of the Illusion, 1 slow movement up by the feet to 90 degree position just looked better..