The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Randy Pitchford purchases The Magic Castle (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
"In today's AMA newsletter, Erika Larsen officially announced that Randy Pitchford, Gearbox CEO, Cardini relation, and long-time magic enthusiast, has purchased The Magic Castle in Hollywood. This is sensational news. As you may or may not know, the Academy of Magical Arts only leased their iconic clubhouse from the Glover family, and there was constant fear that one day the family would decide sell the building and the adjacent land to developers. But that fear is now gone! Here, in part, is what Erika had to share:

Randy Pitchford is a creative visionary, a strategic mastermind and an exceptionally nice guy. His love for magic and the Magic Castle, his business savvy, his generosity and his unbridled enthusiasm are exactly what is needed to revive the spirit of the Magic Castle and keep the place thriving for generations to come.

While the details are still being ironed out, soon an entity will be formed which will own the property, including the Magic Castle Hotel, as well as MCI’s Academy of Magical Arts proprietorship of the Magic Castle trademarks.

This will be the first time in history that the whole, collective real estate, and The Magic Castle will be owned by the same entity! And, since Randy already owns Genii Magazine, it can be reunited as well. So exciting!

You may recall that Randy and Kristy Pitchford--who were married in the Castle in 1997--also own Bess Houdini's brooch, which was given by Bess to Gerrie Larsen. So now they own two treasures!

Congratulations and THANK YOU Randy and Kristy for ensuring that The Magic Castle will be around for generations to come."

Source: https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2022/04......f=fb&m=1
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Hmmmm ...

I realize that the page you linked to - - https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2022/04......f=fb&m=1 - - starts by saying: "I promise this is not an April Fools Joke" ... BUT what would be the point of an April Fools Joke if you didn't fool people ? Sort of like a magic trick. When you go to a magic show the magician "promises" this is an empty box , or this is an ordinary drinking tumbler, or the cards have been throughly shuffled and you had a free choice of the card you selected , etc. , but it's all untrue !

I sincerely hope this "news" turns out to be true , because it would be wonderful for the Magic Castle to be out from under any worries about whether the property would be sold. (even better would be if Randy Pitchford did not own it outright because on a whim he (or his heirs) could decide to sell the property as well ... not saying he would , but it's possible ... better to put the ownership of the property and the AMA into some sort of perpetual trust that would continue on into the future.

EDIT:

Ok, I did find a few hints about this on the Genii Forum (no official announcement yet , but it seems to confirm this news).

It is under the topic AMA Election Results: https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54022

Richard Kaufman wrote:

"Erika Larsen wrote this on Facebook:

"I just wanted to say briefly how thrilled I am with the new Board of Directors. What a great group! I am looking forward to seeing what they accomplish in the months ahead and I am very optimistic. Between that and our soon to be new landlords, we are in incredible shape moving forward. We know a lot of members have questions. I am writing as much as I can for now about the property transaction for the April AMA Newsletter. So in a few days, please check your newsletter for more information. Rest assured, our goal was to secure our home first, and second to free up resources so they can be used to improve the clubhouse and lighten the AMA's financial burden for the betterment of magic as well as the satisfaction of members. We are completely dedicated to the AMA, its members, our clubhouse and the art of magic. Long may they all live, and thanks to the Pitchfords, they will live long!"

Dustin Stinett wrote:

"Erika's comments were well-chosen:

"I am writing as much as I can for now about the property transaction for the April AMA Newsletter." [emphasis mine]

Apparently there are still details to be worked out. To quote a then sitting vice president (now president), "This is a big !@#$%^& deal." Keep in mind, what you may have read was heard at a private, for members only, meeting, not a public one. Those talking about it on social media have the right to do so, but they do not know everything because everything was not disclosed. So, I think everyone should take a breath, stop speculating, and let those who are working on it make the full, public announcement when they are ready to do so."

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
That would be a pretty crappy April Fool's joke to start off by saying it isn't an April Fool's joke.

It has been confirmed by Rudy Coby in the "All Things Magic" facebook group. You can check there or look here:
https://i.ibb.co/bN801rQ/Screenshot-2022-04-04-092132.jpg

EDIT: I see your above edited post. As you can see it is in the works.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
The deal was signed yesterday
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
This is such good news for the AMA, The Magic Castle, and magic in general. The whole story is covered in the May 2022 issue of Genii magazine. It gives a history of the Magic Castle, and then an interview with Randy Pitchford about his involvement in magic , his purchase of Genii magazine, and now his purchase of The Magic Castle (and the land on which it sits!) , bringing the Magic Castle and Genii back under the same ownership.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On May 3, 2022, David Todd wrote:
This is such good news for the AMA, The Magic Castle, and magic in general. The whole story is covered in the May 2022 issue of Genii magazine. It gives a history of the Magic Castle, and then an interview with Randy Pitchford about his involvement in magic , his purchase of Genii magazine, and now his purchase of The Magic Castle (and the land on which it sits!) , bringing the Magic Castle and Genii back under the same ownership.

I’m pretty sure this is the first time that the person who owns the property also owns Genii Magazine.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Very good news after what seems like a long wait of the "closed until further notice". Lynn
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Any news on what is currently happening. The last two AMA updates seem troubling.

Nm