The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Vanishing JM Craft bird cage (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I don't have the JM Craft cage , but out of curiosity I looked it up. So to sell it JM Craft makes a promo video which is posted openly on the internet which exposes the workings of the cage to anyone who happens to see it on YouTube ? REALLY ??? Is this really necessary ? How about just a straight-up performance of the trick with a note at the end about "serious buyers please inquire for details" (then a video demonstrating the details of the apparatus could be sent to any magician making a serious inquiry about purchasing the apparatus). Real magicians know who Tommy Wonder is and if the apparatus is being promoted as a "Tommy Wonder birdcage" they understand what is being sold. No reason to show off by posting a video like this which is not exclusive to magicians. This is a bad trend (laying bare all the details in videos posted on YouTube). Would any of us want some smart aleck kid googling this on his phone after we perform it and sharing the video with everyone around him ? They want a magician to spend $1195.00 for this , but then they devalue the trick by exposing the details of the apparatus in their promo video showing off

Smile Smile

Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I haven't seen a magic shop expose a prop before, odd.

the good news is hardly anyone has seen it, (316 as I write this.)
and due to the title it doesn't rank very high on a search.
the video is also terrible.

The bad news is that the first ranked video is an exposure too,
The upside is that It's even worse than this one.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Didn’t the movie “The Prestige” expose it already?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@David Todd, that's about the magic dealer website and not the consumer base. The video is still there - so maybe a direct note to them would get what you suggested in place? Smile

The internet exposure discussion has been going on here for a couple of decades. We even had someone from the Wikipedia committee visit.
BTW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_bird_cage
...to all the coins I've dropped here
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Magic exposure is just something that is exceedingly difficult to avoid nowadays with the internet and social media. Wish we had neuralizers from Men In Black to wipe memories before performing tricks to them. Just my two cents
Billy
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, upnxrawk wrote:
Magic exposure is just something that is exceedingly difficult to avoid nowadays with the internet and social media. Wish we had neuralizers from Men In Black to wipe memories before performing tricks to them. Just my two cents

Well I think his point is that it's bad enough when callous fools expose magic secrets on the internet, but worse when it is done by the magic manufacturers/dealers themselves , with no thought given to how in their zeal to sell their wares they are downgrading the value of the magic apparatus they wish to sell to their customers. The magic shops are supposed to be on "our" side , I hope , yes ? But it seems that many do not care for the art of magic , they are only about the selling. This is nothing new in some ways, but at least magic shops at one time had a pretense of keeping the secrets exclusive for magicians who had paid for the privilege.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I really love Tommy Wonder's video on the effect and how to build the gimmick. At the same time, as others have noted, it's been exposed before. What made Tommy's video amazing however was in his performance of it. Everyone there of course knew about the gimmick; yet the performance was astonishing. Right before their eyes just inches away. And if we can suspend our knowledge of it just for a second, we can admit we were "fooled".

Yet it does bother me when certain secrets and gimmicks are revealed. (I still believe in the "magician's code").

But what's really nice is when you fool someone, who thinks you used a gimmick! Lynn
dc5x5
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dc5x5
There is also total exposure of Tommy's Ring, Watch, Wallet props, and handling on YouTube with the reasoning being improvements made in the props and handling. A search of 'Magic' & 'Wonder' might expose this higher-level secrecy. Showing off your "improvements" is not a reason to tell the world the secret; not to mention one that is not yours to expose.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely not yours to expose being the salient point!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell