The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: "Re-inventing" tricks after the originator has died (with no credit given) (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Sadly I've noticed several examples of this sort of thing , where an older effect is re-released years after the original release and usually after the originator has passed on , claiming (or implying) it as an original creation and with no credit given to the original creator of the trick.

The latest example: Around 1962 -'63 the remarkably inventive Warren Stephens came up with a visual penetration of a ball through a tumbler called "Thru Ball". This was an instant hit and it sold steadily over the years. (I still have mine purchased from Abbott's in the mid-1970's). So this is not some obscure little trick that was sitting lost in the pages of some old magic magazine waiting to be revived and reworked by someone else (and even if it was , credit should have been given to the source that inspired it)

Now, on YouTube I came across this: "Ball Thru Glass" Magic Trick Gospel by Mission Magic UK. (also posted here by the same company: https://youtu.be/UDwPD5xChkg ). In the video the trick is credited to someone named Scott Devers. On their website , Mission Magic has this in the description of the trick: "This effect is the brainwave of Scott Devers and exclusive to Mission Magic. It's Scott's most powerful effect"

It is the EXACT SAME EFFECT as Warren Stephens' "Thru Ball". How can this claim be made that the effect is the "brainwave of Scott Devers" ? That's just not right. Scott Devers may have written the "gospel" presentation of the trick as it is sold by Mission Magic, but that is a far cry from claiming "the effect is the brainwave of Scott Devers" . As for the effect being "exclusive to Mission Magic" , as far as I know Warren Stephens licensed the trick to Abbott's Magic Co. (they made it for many years and I think they still do). Later the rights to the Warren Stephens line of magic were sold to Chalet Magic , then after several years of inactivity on the part of Chalet (nothing released) the rights to the Warren Stephens effects were purchased by a company called Mandrake Magic LLC and is now being sold through the Trickmaster Magic Shop. As a matter of fact Trickmaster does still make and sell "Thru Ball" , and a couple of other Warren Stephens items , but they do not currently manufacture most of the Warren Stephens line of magic (which is too bad, imo, but that's another topic ...) However, if we're speaking of "exclusive rights" to this effect, I believe the rights would reside with whoever owns Trickmaster Magic.

(ad from New Tops magazine , 1976)

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Disappointing.

Doug
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Methinks most of what is wrong with today's society is that many find it is easier to steal than work. So, no surprise here.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Sadly, those without the ability or desire to properly research “their inventions” are free to easily e-publish their rehash renaming moves and selling books about them because of ignorance of the history.

A beautiful Warren story. He had lectured the day before at our monthly club meeting. A group of us took him to breakfast the next morning. No surprise, we wanted to talk magic with him in a more intimate setting. And he did not disappoint wether it was his stories or his original effects. But his greatest magic was yet to come.

As we were leaving the diner there was a very young boy waiting for a table with his family at the diner bar. This was just too much for the little guy and he had started crying. Us locals sauntered past, but not Warren. He stopped, bent down to the little guy’s level, smiled at him, and did a few slow and deliberate appearances and vanishes with a wadded up napkin. The youngster stopped crying and went from amazed to smiling and giggling. Warren handed him the napkin, smiled, and said goodbye to the little guy. Everyone’s mood had been lifted by this simple gesture of not much more than a minute.

Now THAT was magic.
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, David Todd wrote:
Around 1962 -'63 the remarkably inventive Warren Stephens came up with a visual penetration of a ball through a tumbler called "Thru Ball". This was an instant hit and it sold steadily over the years ...

Now, on YouTube I came across this: "Ball Thru Glass" Magic Trick Gospel by Mission Magic UK. (also posted here by the same company: https://youtu.be/UDwPD5xChkg ). In the video the trick is credited to someone named Scott Devers. On their website , Mission Magic has this in the description of the trick: "This effect is the brainwave of Scott Devers and exclusive to Mission Magic. It's Scott's most powerful effect"

It is the EXACT SAME EFFECT as Warren Stephens' "Thru Ball". How can this claim be made that the effect is the "brainwave of Scott Devers" ? That's just not right.

Indeed there appears no doubt that it is the same effect and method as the Thru Ball of Warren Stephens. You are justified in saying that it is not ethical for this person Devers and his magic supplier Mission Magic to claim it is the "brainwave" of Devers. I suggest to all to leave a comment on the YouTube video of Mission Magic (although it is probable that they don't read the comments or will delete negative comments). https://youtu.be/kOKVkvpKZ6Q . All the better is for the magicians who possess the sense of ethics to withhold their business from conjuring boutiques such as the Mission Magic.
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2022, Jean André wrote:

Indeed there appears no doubt that it is the same effect and method as the Thru Ball of Warren Stephens. You are justified in saying that it is not ethical for this person Devers and his magic supplier Mission Magic to claim it is the "brainwave" of Devers. I suggest to all to leave a comment on the YouTube video of Mission Magic (although it is probable that they don't read the comments or will delete negative comments). https://youtu.be/kOKVkvpKZ6Q . All the better is for the magicians who possess the sense of ethics to withhold their business from conjuring boutiques such as the Mission Magic.

As it is predicted , the craven Missions Magic turn off those comments now that their dishonesty is exposed. Some few days ago I have post the comment that they must by all rights credit the originator Warren Stephens and also other magicians concerned have post the comments, but now all of the comments are deleted and comments which were visible previously have been turned off on this video.

So now we know that they know that we know what is the unethical thing they have done (to steal the credit of Mr. Warren Stephens and credit Scotts Dever , but instead of be honest and admit error ,they simply ignore by turning off comments. ¯_( ツ )_/¯ .

I declare once more: boycott Mission Magic! If they steal this effect, what else do they steal ?

Click here to view attached image.