The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: World folklore (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
For years I've been reading world folklore for ideas and to help my imagination. Anyone interested in comics might be interested to hear Mike Mignola writes a lot about Eastern European folklore. He also touches on The Seals of Solomon, and Dante's Inferno and many sources. When bored there is shamanism and also sorcery.

Not to quote from, but to get ideas about what mystics think about.
waynet
View Profile
New user
Central Valley, California
63 Posts

Profile of waynet
Thank you Gregg,
What other world folklore sources are your favorites?
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Certainly all fairy tales. I'm also very interested in Toltec Shamanism, which is, as I understand it, a belief system from before the Maya in southern Mexico, and also Mexican sorcery. Also, Joseph Campbell's writings led even to the Star Wars movie, and Mircea Eliade's work on Siberian shamanism are interesting areas. At a certain point ancient religions and folklore kind of intersect.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Also, in our time, and especially in coin magic, Mike Rubinstein is writing very good presentations for all his routines...probably the most worked out patter of anybody. Check it out. Sometimes funny, always entertaining.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
In doing some research on Gypsies (Romanies), I found the best new thoughts for building a set. As it turns out, they did 3 different kinds of fortune telling. Palm Reading was used to tell someone's Past. Tarot Cards were used to tell someone's Present, and Crystal Gazing and other forms of Scrying were used to tell someone's Future. I found this to be very interesting. It could be used to structure a whole act or show.