The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Doug Henning Live (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd love to hear any memories of those who saw Doug Henning perform live and which illusions stood out to you, even to this day. Also, any stories of meeting Doug after the show would be fantastic to hear as well. Thanks!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
When I was working in Walt Disney World EPCOT ( good friend Bev Bergeron invited Wife and self to come to WDW)- in the 80'90's my Mgr. knew I did Magic as an Ad-Vocation and had me go over to the United Kingdom Unit to asst Doug the day he was there - Don't exactly remember what he did -though did remember Doug was like a Big Kid. Ralph
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
If you’re a member of the I.B.M. there are interesting stories each month in the Linking Ring about Doug Henning. David Ginn has been sharing his journal about his time with Doug when they traveled Europe back in late 60’s or early 70’s. This was way before they both hit the big time. Definitely worth checking out.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
84, in magic 75 years - very little now -mostly Vent (lighter to carry - LOL). Member of Calif. SAM#22, 35 years - one of the first 1000 members of the Magic Castle (Milt and Bill Larsen our Sponsors). Raised in Canoga Park, Calif 1937 - 1956. Own Family in Van Nuys, Calif. Then later, Florida and retired from WDW. And living still, 20 minutes from WDW. RR
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I saw Doug live in the short lived Broadway production of Merlin with Chita Rivera. This was 1983 I believe and I recall liking the show. Doug was energetic and enthusiastic! I can't recall too much of the magic, but one standout was when he was on a horse and they got hoisted in a cage high above the stage. The cage fell apart and they were gone! I've seen other versions of this over the years but can't recall what the illusion is known by.

Also even though I wasn't in the audience, I can remember watching Doug's live TV specials with my little brother, so that sorta counts!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2021, GlennLawrence wrote:
...I can't recall too much of the magic, but one standout was when he was on a horse and they got hoisted in a cage high above the stage. The cage fell apart and they were gone! I've seen other versions of this over the years but can't recall what the illusion is known by...

Cargo Net Illusion?

Julie
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I saw Doug live in Akron, Ohio. This was the post Magic Show college tours. He was very personable as I interviewed him for TOPS magazine. He tipped his upcoming elephant vanish in his next special. I was the first to break the story. I shot a lot of black and white photos of the show. I made 11x14 prints of some of the routines but never got a chance to get him to sign them. It was not a a heavy show. Misnamed lady, sub trunk, Linking Rings and broom suspension but Doug personality was amazing.
I have a photo of him signing a NBC press release photo in front of the Houdini poster. It was from his first special. No doubt it is his signature and I am also in the picture as a buddy snapped the photo.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks everyone for the great stories! More are always welcome also
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd love to hear more from anyone who saw Doug's final tour in 1987 and if anyone remembers specific details on those shows.
johnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
103 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
Big Doug Henning fan my brother and I drove from Chico California to Reno to see Doug Henning lives when it came to the place where he picked his volunteer to perform the linking rings he picked me I went up on stage there were 2000 people in the audience and I stood there while Doug performed the linking rings and I assist him. It was the thrill of my life I waited afterwards and met him it was very short said hello I did not get a picture with him because I didn’t have a camera . Many years later I was working at Warner Bros. Studios and who drove in on the lot was Doug Henning I helped him find a producers office he was looking for .I am still a big Doug Henning fan. I have a small museum in Austin.We have one of his jackets and a rubber mask he used in one of his TV specials. www.Magicstheater.com
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for the great story!
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Ford Theater in Detroit 1976 (?) with juggler Michael Marlin opening.
Doug did things that go bump in the night with the tiger appearance.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2022, Jerskin wrote:
Ford Theater in Detroit 1976 (?) with juggler Michael Marlin opening.
Doug did things that go bump in the night with the tiger appearance.

He was also there in the early 80s too.
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd love to hear any more stories from people who saw Doug live.
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
On another note, is there anyone who saw Doug's final show in the summer of 1987, before going into retirement?
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I was a huge fan of Doug's and saw him perform live many times. I don't recall the exact year but it was probably around 1983 or 1984 Doug did a number of shows at a theater in Hempstead NY. I bought tickets to go see him each night. I wrote Doug a letter explaining that I'd like to meet him and sent it to the theater. To my surprise, I got a phone call from his wife, Debby. She told me to wait in the theater up by the stage after the show that night and Doug would come out and meet me.

Doug did in fact come and meet me as promised. We talked magic for a while and he invited me back stage. At the time I was building a shadow box illusion and it just happened that he was performing his shadow box in the show. He asked me a few questions about how I was building it. When I explained what I was doing he grabbed a hanger from a local dry cleaner - it was a wire hanger, but the triangle formed by the hanger had the business' information on a piece of paper that filled the triangle. Doug drew a couple of diagrams on the hanger and said, "don't build it that way, check out this drawing - if you put a drawer here it will be much more deceptive." Then he autographed the hanger and gave it to me. I still have that hanger to this day.

Doug was a very kind man, and I am still very appreciative of the fact that he took the time to meet with me.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for sharing that Tony, that is a great story!