The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Trojan deck - Joshua Jay (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Nat
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Nat
I agree!
Actually, I have an extra one if anyone is interested to purchase.

Quote:
On Dec 2, 2021, CSMTREE wrote:
Joshua Jay is a true worker and his products are of the highest quality. I purchased the Trojan deck and I absolutely love it. In my opinion it's not just the prop or the secret, it's all of it. The quality instruction, the variations, the thought through routine, the fact that it's been road tested in hundreds of performances, etc. Well worth my money....Just my two cents
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
Mark Mason Switch-a-two would improve one of the major weaknesses of this routine, the card in pocket.
marcomotroni
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of marcomotroni
TomB Switch-a-two would go great with this routine. Timely release, huh!
PeteB
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of PeteB
Really no deck switch? How narrow a definition of deck switch are we using? If not a switch then definitely an addition (precisely at 4.30 minutes in). Having placed the blue set of cards the woman shuffled, on top of the supposedly empty card case, (which put me on high alert), on going to pick them back up, Josh picked up the card case as well. Clearly an important moment. This belief is reinforced because there is a vision edit right at the point the addition or switch takes place. I am not suggesting that the action is not continuous, just that cutting to a different sized shot hard on the point of a switch always helps to hide it. This is not the first time I have seen this video technique deployed in Josh’s routines, (and is a little naughty imo).
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2021, PeteB wrote:
Really no deck switch? How narrow a definition of deck switch are we using? If not a switch then definitely an addition (precisely at 4.30 minutes in). Having placed the blue set of cards the woman shuffled, on top of the supposedly empty card case, (which put me on high alert), on going to pick them back up, Josh picked up the card case as well. Clearly an important moment. This belief is reinforced because there is a vision edit right at the point the addition or switch takes place. I am not suggesting that the action is not continuous, just that cutting to a different sized shot hard on the point of a switch always helps to hide it. This is not the first time I have seen this video technique deployed in Josh’s routines, (and is a little naughty imo).

No deck switch.
PeteB
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of PeteB
Ok, no deck switch. So that leaves switching in a packet. Anyway, all nicely done and I am sure Josh has given it lots of thought, but I do not see the point of the pocket switch. And - I realise one can tailor this to your own taste - but I found the story far too long. Especially as we all know where it is going, (and I think even laymen will know), it built nicely, but, come the end, I was a little beyond caring. As magic goes, it is nice. As theatre goes, I am in need of that interval drink! Also, the brand of cards is not for me.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Who cares about brand, apart magicians... and about a "switch" only people were writing who didn't know or understand the modus operandi... of course, everybody can create a story that fits him. And the pocket switch is no problem at all, I think. I can tell you that even many magicians didn't get it, I received some PMs with complicated ideas, "improvements" or alternatives, very obviously as the simple switch wasn't detected Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1136 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2021, PeteB wrote:
Also, the brand of cards is not for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2021, PeteB wrote:
Ok, no deck switch. So that leaves switching in a packet. Anyway, all nicely done and I am sure Josh has given it lots of thought, but I do not see the point of the pocket switch. And - I realise one can tailor this to your own taste - but I found the story far too long. Especially as we all know where it is going, (and I think even laymen will know), it built nicely, but, come the end, I was a little beyond caring. As magic goes, it is nice. As theatre goes, I am in need of that interval drink! Also, the brand of cards is not for me.

It's clear from your comment that you don't have the trick and thus know absolutely nothing about the mechanism that is required and must be pinned to the table at the bottom.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2021, MadisonH wrote:
Looking at it from the outside, I would agree with your assessment. In fact, that was one of the first thoughts I had myself.

However, Joshua’s 1,000 performances should be the ultimate deciding factor as we are all just sitting and thinking while he has gone out and done it. I’m sure he has tried it both ways.

Madison

Totally agree Madison. Josh has used this for a long time with great success. It's very interesting how some here totally ignore that fact.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
sillymagician
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
72 Posts

Profile of sillymagician
I've been doing reviews of magic that I buy. I feel it gives me the right to be honest and not hold back if I see deficits. Here is my review of The Trojan Deck:

FaroFaroFaro
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of FaroFaroFaro
Great review. Many thanks. Very balanced pros and cons.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Indeed an accurate review.
That you buy the tricks yourself is a big plus.
You also present it in a calm way without bells and whistles.
I don't even watch reviews of others who get their tricks "sent". They're just not worth it and I don't even think it's ethical.
Assuming they are objective (which will continue to be a question), there is at least the appearance of a conflict of interest.
Well done!

By the way, I don't know it exactly anymore, but I think I paid for it more here in Europe.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, Waterloophai wrote:
Indeed an accurate review...

Sorry Waterloophai, I accidentally Liked your post.

I agree that it was a good review but to take away one full star in the rating because it's not for beginners is not fair. This is an amazing demonstration, with superb gaffs and a wonderful story. If presented well this is a killer! Absolute magic at its best! Not for children and beginners and still priced too low... for me, Joshua should have asked $250,00 and keep it special and for the pro's only.

As soon as an effect like this is presented by every 'wanna be magician' in the world, including all beginners, and all people that don't want to take the time to create something special and do poor shows, and children... then this amazing effect is nothing special anymore and the magic will be gone fast.

I respect your opinion but for me, this is an absolute winner, one of these beauties that you only see once every few years. You can't give it 4 out of 5 that's insulting, what should a magician invent and release to get 5 stars... no even if it's not easy and not for everyone. THIS IS A REAL WINNER!

I give it 6 out of 5 Smile
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, Dr. Eamon wrote:

As soon as an effect like this is presented by every 'wanna be magician' in the world, including all beginners, and all people that don't want to take the time to create something special and do poor shows, and children... then this amazing effect is nothing special anymore and the magic will be gone fast.

This is exactly what Jay wants.. sell as much as he can since he has probably already decided to dump this stuff from his shows. Therefore he doesn't care about it any more and just want to make as much money he can.
In case you don't know, I'll tell you he quit an Italian lecture tour halfway thru cos he'd sold most of the stuff he'd taken with him. And left many clubs, including mine in Trieste, without an actual explanation, but just an excuse ... He had lost the rented car's keys so could not travel anymore ... C'mon Jay!

What a disappointment.

I swore not to but anything else from him or his Vanishing Inc. anymore. And kept my promise.

Mark
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2022, mlippo wrote:
Quote:

This is exactly what Jay wants.. sell as much as he can since he has probably already decided to dump this stuff from his shows. Therefore he doesn't care about it any more and just want to make as much money he can.
In case you don't know, I'll tell you he quit an Italian lecture tour halfway thru cos he'd sold most of the stuff he'd taken with him. And left many clubs, including mine in Trieste, without an actual explanation, but just an excuse ... He had lost the rented car's keys so could not travel anymore ... C'mon Jay!

What a disappointment.

I swore not to but anything else from him or his Vanishing Inc. anymore. And kept my promise.

Mark

What a BS! Joshua is a great guy and really does a lot for the magic community...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2022, Dr. Eamon wrote:

What a BS! Joshua is a great guy and really does a lot for the magic community...

That's exactly what happened ...
I also had him in great esteem before that day. This is life. You have an opinion till something or someone makes you change it.

Mark
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I really like this trick and I plan to use it, but I didn’t construct an essential component correctly and once it is together it can’t be taken apart without causing damage … so I need a new one but no replacements are yet available. Even if this item is put together perfectly, I believe it will eventually need to be replaced … so hopefully there will be an opportunity to get replacements/backups at a reasonable cost, somewhere down the line.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2022, sillymagician wrote:
I've been doing reviews of magic that I buy. I feel it gives me the right to be honest and not hold back if I see deficits. Here is my review of The Trojan Deck:

Excellent review. I give your review 5 stars!!!

Love that you are honest and are a paying customer just like us!

Your review is spot on. You just didn't throw 4 stars at it. You explained why, and that is what others need to follow and do as well. I would rate it the same as well.

If you ask 100 magicians their ratings... you will get 99.9 different ratings! LOL

Josh is amazing. You pointed that out as well.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more from you.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2022, mlippo wrote:
Quote:

What a disappointment.

Mark

Yeah, that's pretty lame for sure! At least be honest and just tell you guys "I've decided to cancel the rest of my tour since I sold out of everything. Hopefully I can come back again..." or whatever. But "lost the keys" L A M E!!!
I can't blame you for being upset. I would be as well.

He has done a lot for magic. But this is not cool at all.