The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Nelson Hahne Magic Illustrations (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I've always like Nelson Hahne's classic magic catalog and magic book illustrations. So I decided to make a topic just to post some of his artwork.

Hahne's self-portrait for the cover of Linking Ring, June 1949 -

More to come ...

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
More Nelson Hahne magic artwork -

Feel free to add more (try to post relatively high-resolution images ... sadly a lot of the catalog cuts that exist
online are low-resolution and don't show his artwork to it's best advantage)

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
A couple of more Nelson Hahne illustrations for U.F. Grant -

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I really like the old magic illustrations, Tarbell, Mishell, etc, and the older catalogs.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Nelson Hahne illustrations for National Magic Co. catalog (circa 1930's) -

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2021, Tom G wrote:
I really like the old magic illustrations, Tarbell, Mishell, etc, and the older catalogs.

Here is an illustration which I don't think is by Nelson Hahne , but this drawing sums up what many of us love about the old magic catalogs. The illustrations by Hahne, Tarbell, Mishell, etc. contributed to much of the "romance" that we find in those old catalogs. The drawings were fun to look at (if not always -- ahem -- 100% accurate in how they depicted the effect ... ) This one is scanned from an issue of New Tops magazine from Abbott's . It's possible it is drawn by the Abbott's staff artist , Howard Melson, although I do not know for sure because it is unsigned.

Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Nice
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
361 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Very Cool...

I really miss all those fantastic magic catalogs and drawings. I realize we live in a technological time now...but I used to spend hours going through the UF Grant Popular Magic Catalogs...and the Abbott's Catalog...and of course the Lou Tannen Catalog. Too bad that we have lost some of the great ways to shop for our magic. I relished the arrival of the Nelson Catalogs...thanks for sharing the drawings...love it..!

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Magical Mentalism & Revealing Readings With Dr. Dan
www.drdanandco.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I always thought Hahne was one of the best magical artists.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Hahne, Francis Martineau and John Kirby are my three favorite illustrators of magic effects...
In my opinion, Ed Mishell was not at the same level.

There were some other great illustrations in the P and L range, that evoke that wonderful feeling we all had when studying these catalogs.

here's a John Kirbly illustration:

Click here to view attached image.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Mishell definitely has a more "cartoony" style.

Another illustrator who contributed to our dream books was Tom Lawless.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Nelson Hahne illustration for Grant's 'Pent-A-Checkers' -

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Not too many magicians are aware of the fact that Marty Hahne of Dazzling Magic is Nelson Hahne's nephew.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2021, Rainboguy wrote:
Not too many magicians are aware of the fact that Marty Hahne of Dazzling Magic is Nelson Hahne's nephew.

I did not know that ! That's very interesting. Thank you.

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't think the drawing was a Hahne or Mel.
Chuck Romano wrote a book on all the illustrators in magic.
Sid Lorraine (Sid drew them and his wife Irene inked them all) for many of the Abbott's catalogs, Eddie Clever (PA) Linking Ring. George Johnstone (he did the Okito on Magic book).
Hahne did a lot of magic cartoons for the Lining Ring that I got to look at a lot when I worked not the Klosterman collection.
Nice Topic.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd

Nelson Hahne illustration for Max Holden advertisement in Genii magazine , December 1938.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
AHhhhhhhhhhhhh Memories - just looking back into the (Original) Owen Brothers Catalog, equipment $35.00 prices -Now $359. and I still have Catalogs and Equipment - from the late 50's and early 60', when we lived in the San Fernando Valley, L.A., Calif. Their catalog included drawings by Dossett, Hanhe, Hill and others. Ralph
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here's an illustration by Nelson Hahne done for the Thayer catalog, illustrating Thayer's "Latest Flower Growth" (this is from about 1940, according to David Charvet).

(note the typo in the Thayer catalog ad: misspelling Gerrie Larsen's name "Gerrie Darsen".)
-----

Here is a photograph posted by David Charvet of a Thayer's Flower Growth apparatus that he has in his collection. I post it here as a rare example of when the actual prop outshines the illustrator's imagination . (usually it's the other way around !)

Although I do like the conical tube in the Hahne illustration. I imagine that was how the original apparatus looked , but the tube in the photo above is a later replacement. However, those feather FLOWERS are incredibly gorgeous! (the Thayer catalog description says "cloth flowers" , but these are clearly feather flowers. I wonder if Thayer switched later to supplying it with feather flowers ? The catalog is the late 1930's/early 1940's , but the apparatus in the photo may be from a few years later than the catalog.) Would that every feather flower bouquet and Botania looked that good instead of like some clown's feather duster.

Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
I think the Cone shaped tube give more of an illusion.