The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: GAPS POUR (new Salt Pour) (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Hi to all!
Hola a todos Smile

I am Gonzalo Albiñana, a magician and hand shadow artist, and I am very proud and happy to present to you a reedition of my work from the last 12 years on the Salt Pour Routine, first released on 2019 and now produced by Adrian Vega. I would like you to meet GAPS:

Kaps' salt, Benson's salt, Vernon's salt... come on, the infinite salt pour is one of the masterpieces of magic.

But somehow, almost nobody does it. It's normal, finding the materials, discovering the right salt... everything involved in going from the text to the actual effect is usually a nuisance and an insurmountable barrier. Moreover, those who actually present it avoid sharing their secrets.

Gonzalo Albinana, completely abandoning this tradition has decided to share with you not only the special salt he uses, all the cheating elements and his personal gimmick, with a new design never before proposed in other models, and with a complete study of more than 10 years on "The Traveling Salt" or "Infinite Salt" , or "Salt Pour", popularized by Fred Kaps. You get everything you need and detailed instructions so you can start practicing it right away.

Finally you will be able to introduce in your repertoire a unique, new (after so long!) and fun effect, with new handlings, unlimited and different options, totally new design, created with both the beginner and the pro magician in mind.

This is a really versatile, customizable and durable gimmick that opens new options never imaginable before, practical and easy to use (everywhere and anytime, under all kind of conditions)

This gimmick comes from a work of love to the endless Salt Pour.

This is a total, easy and secure control of the flow of salt, that can last as long as you want, and not limited to the prop provided.

This is a gimmick that will fit in any hand (finally!) and allows proper handling at any kind of situation and productions.

This is a versatile, secure and independent method, with nothing to prepare on your body or clothes, and no angles, no breakable parts, replacement or refills.

This is a gimmick that is still allowing new ideas and approaches since its first release to the magic community in 2019.

This is GAPS POUR.

https://youtu.be/XkCw2bM1s8Q

GAPS is available thru Murphys Magic, and I am really looking forward to heard and read what you think of it Smile I would love to have this as a little contribution to the magic fraternity.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
This is a simple and quick direct presentation in which I play to pour as slowly as possible at first to build up thru the routine in speed and flow, and quantity of salt. Also, you can see some of the empty hand methods and ending (free of gimmicks) without sleeves or anything...just a video with my phone, to try out possibilities. Hope to hear your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFlEocr......C3%B1ana

GAPS pour is available in most magic dealers and also in www.imaginarioshop.es Smile
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2021, g.albinana wrote:
Hope to hear your thoughts.

Your work with the Salt Pour effect is marvelous and I look forward to seeing your instructional video and trying your gimmick , in the never-ending quest for “the perfect salt pour” (I now have seven different ones , and I know other magicians who have collected more than that !) You have obviously put in much thought and many years of performing this effect.

Because you asked, I do have a few thoughts about the handling shown in the new video you posted:

I love most of what you are doing in your performance style , but to me any movement where the arm or wrist is moving with quick, staccato up and down movements (the same sort of movement which most people naturally make with their arm when shaking or sprinkling salt from a salt cellar) is possibly telegraphing to the audience that your hand is actually holding a concealed container of salt. Both the slight upward tossing movement and the shaking/sprinkling movements read to me as the same movements I would expect to see if someone were concealing a small container of salt their hand. I think it looks better to let the salt flow from the hand in a smooth (and apparently inexhaustible) stream of salt , with as little movement as possible of the arm.

I remember reading Levent’s analysis of Roy Benson’s salt routine in the book “Roy Benson By Starlight” , where he writes at one point (on page 187) about controlling the flow of the salt:

“… the tricky part about controlling the flow of salt in this fashion is that if it isn’t performed correctly, it can give the spectator the impression that the salt is coming out of a container held in the magician’s hand. That would be a huge mistake, as the trick relies on the idea that your hand has reached into the air and your fist has suddenly filled with salt. The spectators must not have the slightest notion that a container is being used, otherwise the mystery is greatly diminished.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
To continue one of my comments from above:

Quote:
On Nov 16, 2021, David Todd wrote:
"... possibly telegraphing to the audience that your hand is actually holding a concealed container of salt. Both the slight upward tossing movement and the shaking/sprinkling movements read to me as the same movements I would expect to see if someone were concealing a small container of salt their hand. I think it looks better to let the salt flow from the hand in a smooth (and apparently inexhaustible) stream of salt , with as little movement as possible of the arm."

I do not mean that the arm and hand must be held completely motionless (stiff, like a statue) as the salt flows out of the hand. A slight circular or figure-8 movement of the arm can lend visual interest as the stream of salt flows downward out of the hand. We see it in Kaps' routine , where he seems to become bored by the apparently never-ending stream of salt and he starts to swirl his arm in a slight circular movement as he watches the salt makes as it falls to the floor. What I meant is to avoid any sort of movement which mimics the same movement that people make when shaking salt out of a salt cellar.

g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
Quote:
Hope to hear your thoughts.

Your work with the Salt Pour effect is marvelous and I look forward to seeing your instructional video and trying your gimmick , in the never-ending quest for “the perfect salt pour” (I now have seven different ones , and I know other magicians who have collected more than that !) You have obviously put in much thought and many years of performing this effect.

Because you asked, I do have a few thoughts about the handling shown in the new video you posted:

I love most of what you are doing in your performance style , but to me any movement where the arm or wrist is moving with quick, staccato up and down movements (the same sort of movement which most people naturally make with their arm when shaking or sprinkling salt from a salt cellar) is possibly telegraphing to the audience that your hand is actually holding a concealed container of salt. Both the slight upward tossing movement and the shaking/sprinkling movements read to me as the same movements I would expect to see if someone were concealing a small container of salt their hand. I think it looks better to let the salt flow from the hand in a smooth (and apparently inexhaustible) stream of salt , with as little movement as possible of the arm.

I remember reading Levent’s analysis of Roy Benson’s salt routine in the book “Roy Benson By Starlight” , where he writes at one point (on page 187) about controlling the flow of the salt:

“… the tricky part about controlling the flow of salt in this fashion is that if it isn’t performed correctly, it can give the spectator the (correct) impression that the salt is coming out of a container held in the magician’s hand. That would be a huge mistake, as the trick relies on the idea that your hand has reached into the air and your fist has suddenly filled with salt. The spectators must not have the slightest notion that a container is being used, otherwise the mystery is greatly diminished.

Hello David, thanks a lot for your wonderful comment. It is great to be able to say hi to a fellow Salt Pour lover, in this never ending quest, as you so well said, of finding the perfect salt Pour gimmick Smile Thanks a lot for you very kind words and appreciattion of my GAPS, my humble try to put one more step on the ladder.

With GAPS I use a lot of different routines and movements, that are not always like the video that you saw. In that video I am exploring the options of one particular tool in GAPS, trying to see what kind of movements and options were available. I do like these combination of movements for several different reasons -some just because I find some options funny, and after twelve years of doing the Salt Pour more than anything else, I think is good to play a little and try different approaches and things, others you explained why pretty well Smile- but I agree with you that are several moves that you have to be very sure on where and how to use them, in order to keep the magic as pure as possible. In anything we do, we have to know why, and even more, feel why, and that I guess I cannot explain it...is something that you have to live. -Surely, being an experienced "salter", you know what I mean-

Usually, when I perform for lay audiences, I tend to present a more fluent, non stop routine, more like Benson or Kaps, than this "shaky" option that you see in the video. This is an option That I use more often in schools shows when there is a little fight...I found that in a more "stable" pouring like Kaps or Benson, school audiences where having a tendency of starting to fight with me for the secret, or just shout " He have a ballon on his hand filled with salt!!!" -actually maybe not a bad idea-, and on the other hand, when I use this more vivid sequence, with more things happening, they enjoy better the proccess and have more fun without questioning the magic. I am proving much more times that I have nothing in my hands, so they relax (eventough the procces of showing anything in the hands can create more intrigue about having something...it is a tricky thing, right?)

You could even combine both kinds of presentations! Start with a more "moving" pour like in the video, and then, create your way into a more "Kapscasian" way of pouring. Bensonian. Kapscasian. Cellininesque.Leventfulling. We have to start using this words to talk about salt and tricks.

Levent, just that we mention him, is the MASTER.

Again, I enjoyed a lot your comment, and hope we can talk more about our loved Salt in the future Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In my opinion, my main consideration is, g.albinana is a street performer, not a stage performer. Thus, his actions art totally acceptable.

This is nothing I would use, unless I seen the gimmick and if it would fit, the more professional routine for the classic version.

He seems to be a more intergenic person's persona, as is expected when a group of people are gathered around you.

One thing I am concerned about, is the very thin stream of salt. Can it be seen by the audience.

The second thing is throwing salt, salt damage floors, and paint, and many metals, it will eat through surfaces. And the performer will be responsible to clean it up, so carry a good insurance policy to cover damages. I use a folding dump bucket for the salt to flow into, and cover my area where the salt will land. Knocking the salt stream about is not acceptable.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
In my opinion, my main consideration is, g.albinana is a street performer, not a stage performer. Thus, his actions art totally acceptable.

This is nothing I would use, unless I seen the gimmick and if it would fit, the more professional routine for the classic version.

He seems to be a more intergenic person's persona, as is expected when a group of people are gathered around you.

One thing I am concerned about, is the very thin stream of salt. Can it be seen by the audience.

The second thing is throwing salt, salt damage floors, and paint, and many metals, it will eat through surfaces. And the performer will be responsible to clean it up, so carry a good insurance policy to cover damages. I use a folding dump bucket for the salt to flow into, and cover my area where the salt will land. Knocking the salt stream about is not acceptable.

Hello Mr. Hegbli, thanks a lot for your comment.

Even I would love to perform on streets, I never do, because my main areas are stand up work and stage magic. As you very well pointed, that kind of handling, inspired by Cellini, is very suitable for streets. Altough, there are a lot of funny ideas to be applied on the streets, as the Postal one (the wind, if controlled properly, can be a great ally instead of an enemy,as we can think at first) https://youtu.be/XkCw2bM1s8Q

About the thin of the stream. You can have a stream as big and wide or narrow and thin as you want, so there is no problem for the people to see it (I do the salt pour, when I lucky and work in such a places, in theaters of 1000 seats) The control is very easy (no movable parts or anything like that) and you can change it and use it on the spot with no problems or nothing to add or take away. Also, the time that you are pouring, the quantity, is something that you decide as a matter of preference.

In the videos I tried to show different approaches to the salt pour, so everybody can find or create something that is better suited to you, but I tend to present the Salt Pour in a more classic way with GAPS, a la KAPS, (that is the joke about the name, because GAPS stands for my name, but also sound like KAPS)

About the damaging of the salt. I agree. Salt is a corrosive, and sometimes, expensive and nasty thing. That´s why I use a different everyday material, easily found (and cannot be cheaper) everywhere, that I explain on the 1 hour tutorial video. But, if there are somebody that wants to use Morton Popcorn salt (which is way more expensive that the thing that I use) is free to use the popcorn salt.

As you, I always put a clothe or something on the floor.

I hope you can reconsider, if you buy the product and we can share the ideas and explanations of the tutorial, the choosing of GAPS Smile (I think you may would)

Thanks a lot for your comment, it was very interesting to read your interpretation, hope to read more Smile
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:

Usually, when I perform for lay audiences, I tend to present a more fluent, non stop routine, more like Benson or Kaps, than this "shaky" option that you see in the video. This is an option That I use more often in schools shows when there is a little fight...I found that in a more "stable" pouring like Kaps or Benson, school audiences where having a tendency of starting to fight with me for the secret, or just shout "He have a balloon on his hand filled with salt!!!" - actually maybe not a bad idea -, and on the other hand, when I use this more vivid sequence, with more things happening, they enjoy better the process and have more fun without questioning the magic. I am proving much more times that I have nothing in my hands, so they relax (even though the process of showing anything in the hands can create more intrigue about having something...it is a tricky thing, right?)

That is an interesting point you make about needing to adapt the presentation for a less polite crowd (i.e. school audiences). I don't doubt your experience in that area, so if it works for you then who can argue with that ?
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
Quote:

Usually, when I perform for lay audiences, I tend to present a more fluent, non stop routine, more like Benson or Kaps, than this "shaky" option that you see in the video. This is an option That I use more often in schools shows when there is a little fight...I found that in a more "stable" pouring like Kaps or Benson, school audiences where having a tendency of starting to fight with me for the secret, or just shout "He have a balloon on his hand filled with salt!!!" - actually maybe not a bad idea -, and on the other hand, when I use this more vivid sequence, with more things happening, they enjoy better the process and have more fun without questioning the magic. I am proving much more times that I have nothing in my hands, so they relax (even though the process of showing anything in the hands can create more intrigue about having something...it is a tricky thing, right?)

That is an interesting point you make about needing to adapt the presentation for a less polite crowd (i.e. school audiences). I don't doubt your experience in that area, so if it works for you then who can argue with that ?

It´s just my experience...but there are times for everything, and every kind of presentation -that is what I like so much the GAPS approaches- so just trying to "put my grain of salt" to make this magical art of ours a little bit better Smile (hope so)

Glad you like it, thanks for your comment!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I assumed you were mainly a street artist, because on the video you referenced, that is where you said you perform on the video introduction.

I suggest you make a new demo video, showing what all you can do with your gimmick. Don't show a video of one thing, and then say, oh, you do thick thin, pours Fred Kaps routine. Fred Kaps' gimmicks was made by a metal spinner here in the United States. He passed away a long time ago.

I two of his salt pour gimmicks.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I assumed you were mainly a street artist, because on the video you referenced, that is where you said you perform on the video introduction.

I suggest you make a new demo video, showing what all you can do with your gimmick. Don't show a video of one thing, and then say, oh, you do thick thin, pours Fred Kaps routine. Fred Kaps' gimmicks was made by a metal spinner here in the United States. He passed away a long time ago.

I two of his salt pour gimmicks.

Thanks a lot for your comment, hope this video shows you more options, the idea was to put some together for all to see, but always, limit´s are in one choices. I was deeply inspired by all of the gimmicks on history that I could read or try, so Kaps and Benson gimmicks were a big inspiration of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCw2bM1s8Q
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for the additional video. You sure can make a mess. Smile
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Here I have another example. Please, consider that this is a joke, and I do not present this out of context or in regular situations. This, I insist, is a joke, and I do not want to offend anybody, but to point the very interesting way to produce salt pour out of a object that seems to not be connected to your hand. More than that, put attetion to the fact that when I shake the paper tube, the salt comes from both ends of the tube, the upper end and the bottom end, and that production works with all of the different objects that I have tried so far, without any preparation or modification of the GAPS. You can go from that into a regular salt pour a la Benson or Kaps (or viceversa) without switches or loads...or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zav4SNje......C3%B1ana
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I see, Vernet the Thumb Tip manufacturer has come put with a new salt Pour gimmick, called, "SALT 2.0" for $90.

Can't believe 4 Salt Pour gimmick has come out in the last 4 months. I don't care for the Salt 2.0 demo, as there is so much salt poured on the floor, you would need an industrial sweeper to clean it all up. I did not see salt coming from the left hand. So It looks like the gimmick cannot be transferred from Right to left and back again.

Hard to believe the won FISM, it was not a very professional routine, but he was trying to be a funny character, I guess.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
$90 ? Wow. And I still remember Chanin making different versions out of a real Thumb Tip, or an Aspirin Vial, or cardboard.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Hi, David from Magic Orthodoxy had put out this review on GAPS POUR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzhlBe2G......rthodoxy You may find it interesting Smile I liked it a lot, not gonna lie.

About what you comment on the Salted 2.0 from Vernet and Ruben Vilagrand...all opinions are welcomed, but please, let´s judge only GAPS Pour here...I do respect a lot Vernet and Ruben, and I don´t want anybody to get the wrong impression Smile
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Hi friend,
Firstly, I admire your enthusiasm and commitment to improving one effect over a decade.
I wonder if it is possible to see this gimmick behave in a way where the salt simply pours out in one steady stream with very little up/down movement.
Also, can it be stopped ‘mid stream’ to open the dirty hand, close fist & then continue again with the stream?
Hope this makes sense. Wishing you a sweet 22!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2022, Goldfield wrote:
Hi friend,
Firstly, I admire your enthusiasm and commitment to improving one effect over a decade.
I wonder if it is possible to see this gimmick behave in a way where the salt simply pours out in one steady stream with very little up/down movement.
Also, can it be stopped ‘mid stream’ to open the dirty hand, close fist & then continue again with the stream?

Hi friend, thanks a lot for your kind words, give me some hours, because right now I do not have my GAPS with me, and I will upload a video for you with your request Smile
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2022, Goldfield wrote:
Hi friend,

https://youtu.be/rWhPE1a_nP0

Hope this "still" production is what you were asking for Smile If not, I can make another video! Best wishes and thanks
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Perfect ! Thank you Gonzalo for taking the time. Best wishes
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.