The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Revisiting My Favorite 'Close to' Self-working Card Tricks (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, Robert P. wrote:
Thank you for the friendly words, I'm really glad you were able to get something from this. I haven't been in the Café too much lately, my father has been in the hospital with Covid for the last week and a half. Good news is that he is getting better, though, so I am very thankful for that.

I did have a question for some of you, Jason Ladanye put out a self working trick on Youtube:

But I am having trouble following it. For me I am not seeing it or able to make it work, especially after the chosen card is placed anywhere in the deck. Am I missing something, were you able to do this trick?

I may be wrong, perhaps it is a psuedo explanation/trick for those that keep commenting on his page to teach something?

Yeah, that’s what I thought it might be but wasn’t sure. Figured I would ask others here in case I was missing something.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2022, Robert P. wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the friendly words, I'm really glad you were able to get something from this. I haven't been in the Café too much lately, my father has been in the hospital with Covid for the last week and a half. Good news is that he is getting better, though, so I am very thankful for that.

I did have a question for some of you, Jason Ladanye put out a self working trick on Youtube:

But I am having trouble following it. For me I am not seeing it or able to make it work, especially after the chosen card is placed anywhere in the deck. Am I missing something, were you able to do this trick?

I may be wrong, perhaps it is a psuedo explanation/trick for those that keep commenting on his page to teach something?

Yeah, that’s what I thought it might be but wasn’t sure. Figured I would ask others here in case I was missing something.

Really looks good but didn't get it either.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
This is an amazing thread, and I was pleasantly surprised to see of my personal favourites included (see 10 of the best self-workers and 10 more of the best self-workers).

Outstanding contribution, thanks for putting so much effort into this, and sharing it with us.
kebmo3108
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
115 Posts

Profile of kebmo3108
Robert, thank you so much for this collection. You put a lot of work in it and you truly collected quality effects ! Found some of my favorites in there as well.
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
Robert, thank for sharing your thoughts. I have overlooked Allan Kronzek “Think of One” Card trick. I have the book ““Artful Deceptions” and will need to revisit the trick. By the way there are other gems in his under the radar book published by Vanishing Inc. a few years ago. I am not sure if it’s available anymore.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
After a little break, came acros this thread. Thank you for the kind words, guys. Glad you enjoyed reading through the topic, and hope you found something new that you may want to add to your repertoire.

Not having the Café available for a few weeks made me realize how much I miss this place and all of the knowledge contained here.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Late to the table yet again, but so glad someone left the light on for me… Smile

Thanks Robert for pointing the way here to this most excellent list. The rundown is remarkably well done. A must read as to such things.

5 Stars! *****
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Robert, what a fantastic post. The amount of work you put into this is beyond admirable.

This will be bookmarked.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I would like to add a trick from the book "The Card Magic Nick Trost., p77. Double Discovery.

I know for a fact it is absolutely devastating.
storm01
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of storm01
That’s a great list of tricks
Golem13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Golem13
I'd also add to this awesome list, Impossible Divination 2 by Larry Jennings (from Jennings '67 and the 2014 BBM DVD Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks Volume 3). Real straightforward to learn/perform and it is a stunner, however understanding how it works will do your head in!
Richard Weber
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Richard Weber
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2021, Robert P. wrote:

Similar tricks you may also like:

Order and Chaos - Will Houstoun

Thanks for that great suggestion. I watched the video, thought hard about it, and have just now performed this effect for a friend. He was shocked at what happened. I will definitely perform this again.

Such a clever idea. Does this really count as self working? It may not need difficult sleights, but audience management, good story telling to motivate the action and misdirection is essential.
Richard Weber
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Richard Weber
Quote:

But I am having trouble following it.

I am sure this is a joke by Jason. No way does that work. Have you seen his "self working" ACAAN? It is hilarious to call it self working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KpyP0iP2o
pnerd
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, Richard Weber wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2021, Robert P. wrote:

Similar tricks you may also like:

Order and Chaos - Will Houstoun

Thanks for that great suggestion. I watched the video, thought hard about it, and have just now performed this effect for a friend. He was shocked at what happened. I will definitely perform this again.

Such a clever idea. Does this really count as self working? It may not need difficult sleights, but audience management, good story telling to motivate the action and misdirection is essential.

You can also check out 26! by Caleb Wiles.