The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Performance styles in stage hypnosis (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
I admit I have never seen a live hypnosis show and only few on TV or youtube... I am interested what different performance styles exist.

Short note about myself: I am an amateur magician; I have learnt the basics of hypnotherapy for coaching purposes; I know there are prejudices of hypnotherapists towards stage hypnosis and vice versa; I know there are people on the Café who do both. When learning hypnosis, I took the "get a good teacher AND a good book" approach. Since I am German speaking, you might not know the teacher nor the books, but the teacher is a renowoned psychiatrist and among the books is the German standard volume about hypnotherapy by Dirk Revenstorf and Burkhart Peter.

There is a cliché performance style for stage hypnosis: the powerful hypnotist makes the weak subjects do ridiculous things. Everybody is laughing, but it is a degrading laughter (is "deride" the correct English word?). The more ridiculous the subjects are, the better the show. Yes, I know (and I wrote) that this is a cliché. ;-)

However, how does a different performance style look like?

To put it more detailed:
How can hypnosis be introduced and framed, instead of the "I am the oh so powerful mind controller" approach?
What are entertaining hypnotic effects that do not make the subjects appear ridiculous?
Instead of making the volunteer forget something or unable to perform a task, are there ideas how to give superpowers to the hypnotee?

Are there any books which deal with theses questions?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You have described a very old style. Yes some still use it but it is going away.

As for the show hypnosis shows are generally funny in nature.

Todd Robbins is doing some incredibly interesting work in shifting in THAT paradigm. Very interesting and as far as I can tell original.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2021, adrianrbf wrote:
I admit I have never seen a live hypnosis show and only few on TV or youtube... I am interested what different performance styles

There is a cliché performance style for stage hypnosis: the powerful hypnotist makes the weak subjects do ridiculous things. Everybody is laughing, but it is a degrading laughter

I agree that this "powerful hypnotist" style of performance hasn't been that popular in several decades. I'm sure there are some European guys that may still work like this but not in most places anymore. Also the "weak subjects" thing hasn't been seen much in a long time. Same for "degrading hypnosis."

This is the problem of watching hypnosis videos on youtube. It is very misleading and not at all what is in reality. Very few real hypnotists post their videos on youtube for several key reasons. It is usually the hacks, those that are trying to sell something, or guys that are trying to create pseudo-celebrity for their hypnosis (and products, trainings, etc.) such as Royale and others.

Unfortunately it is also much the same for hypnosis books as well.

There are several other styles than the outdated ones your are referring to. Also stay far away from hypnosis done (or attempted) by magicians as it is also very skewed. This is the problem and why I've always said be careful who you listen to (and learn from). Especially with hypnosis as you will absorb their performing style, which often includes stunned and limited learning/knowledge, a lack of real understanding of hypnosis and it's applications, and worst of all very little in the area of entertaining with hypnosis. Most only seem to focus on routines and "skits."

There are three shows going on in any true stage hypnosis shows, and few resources (if any) I ever seen cover these aspects if at all, yet alone accurately.

Also, hypnosis on video or youtube fails to capture the true spirit and full aspects of a real hypnosis show.

You also said "I know there are prejudices of hypnotherapists towards stage hypnosis and vice versa" which I totally agree with but it is important to understand these perceptions and why they exist. Once understood, in the right context, these can be used to your distinct advantage as a stage hypnotist. The more hypnotherapists complain, the better it serves the stage performer.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Speaking on behlaf of all the major Hypnosis shows in Vegas and working major event corporate hypnotists: That "powerful hypnotist" style of performance doesn't cut it nor does it work regularly in high paying show markets
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Yes, the "powerful hypnotist" performance style is a cliché. I get that.

But what are the alternatives?
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Interesting
Funny
Charming
Educated
Giving
Compassionate
Friendly
As many personality types that exist....
Kevin Lepine
Hypnosis Unleashed-THE Vegas Hypnosis Show
www.Kevinlepine.com
www.VegasHypnosisShow.com