The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Max Maven in for surgery on brain tumor (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mantel
View Profile
Special user
925 Posts

Profile of mantel
I'm probably mistaken, but in Genii Magazine April 2022 Jason England issue the "Genii Speaks" video supplement, there is a cameo by who I believe to be Max or Phil.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Any news for Max Maven?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Max was at our conjuror's workshop at the castle a couple of weeks back, offering up advice on routines to other performers. He also recently attended a seance at the club, so he's been up and around!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3268 Posts

Profile of 252life
Fantastic to hear thx
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3530 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Max was at our conjuror's workshop at the castle a couple of weeks back, offering up advice on routines to other performers. He also recently attended a seance at the club, so he's been up and around!

Thank you for the update!
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Will he be appearing at the castle?

Thanks
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Any update?
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I’m curious about updates as well. Heard he was at FISM …
DocNOLA
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of DocNOLA
Glad to hear he’s recovering!
DragonLore
View Profile
New user
Toronto
76 Posts

Profile of DragonLore
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2022, BAGWIZ wrote:
I’m curious about updates as well. Heard he was at FISM …

He was indeed and received an award for his contributions.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Good luck Max.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
RIP Max Maven (Phil Goldstein)
Magic/Mentalism will never be the same without you.
-
Max Maven (born Philip Goldstein, 21 December 1950) is an American magician and mentalist whose performances are considered erudite and intelligent. He is ranked as one of the most influential mentalists of all time, and one of the 100 "Most Influential Magicians of the 20th Century" by Magic Magazine.
He often appears on television magic shows to perform "interactive" mind reading tricks. Among other cities, including Rome, Maven grew up largely in Boston, Massachusetts, where he became known for his performances at several nightspots including the then popular Playboy Club. In Boston, he was formerly a radio deejay.
He is a prolific author and conceived many magical and mentalist effects used by other magicians. He has been a magic consultant for such performers as David Copperfield and Penn & Teller, Siegfried & Roy, and Doug Henning, and is a frequent contributor to industry journals such as Genii, The Linking Ring, and M-U-M.
He has been featured on the cover of over 30 such magazines over the years, including The Linking Ring, Genii in 1983 (with Japanese magician Shigeo Takagi), and also in 2007 and in 2018, and on the cover of Penguin Magic Monthly in 2019. He has also been the featured magician at the annual conventions of both the Society of American Magicians and the International Brotherhood of Magicians.
His name has been changed legally to Max Maven but he still uses "Phil Goldstein" as a pen name for technical writings.
Maven is considered a legend in the world of magic, and has a broad knowledge of magic history and the origins of various tricks and methods. He has stated that he believes it vital to preserve the history of the art and provide credit to the originators of ideas
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
49 Posts

Profile of emanuele
I am speechless. I wasn't aware of his latest health problems, and just read today about this.
Another unique and important master of our art leaving. The same absolute sinking feeling as when Cellini and Eugene Burger left us.
A fundamental person to meet, who will never be met again.
RIP Max.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Very sad... RIP Max Maven
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
My jaw as dropped when I read the news. Such an influential part of magic and mentalism.God rest his soul.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Still hard to believe. An absolute legend whose wonderful thinking and contributions will carry on for many years to come. Rest in Peace, Max.

T.J.
illusiveleon
View Profile
New user
Lubbock, TX
4 Posts

Profile of illusiveleon
Yes, Max Maven will certainly be missed. A legend in his own time! So much knowledge and insight. He astounded so many people in his lifetime. Also generous with sharing his knowledge. I still recall the first time I saw him... it was on television 40 years ago or so. He presented "A Game of Psychological Strategy" using 5 jumbo ESP cards and a different colored back jumbo ESP prediction card... offering $100 if the spectator could manage to choose any of the 4 cards that did not match. Of course, Max always won! I never had the pleasure to meet him personally but I have always loved and appreciated his effects, persona and influence in the art of magic and mentalism!
Shows me as a new user but I have been on Magic Cafe since 2007.
I have been a magic hobbyist / performer since the '70s.
Also an SAM Member for most of the last 40 years.
As iron sharpens iron... so one man sharpens another!
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Max’s FISM interview with Luis De Matos:

https://youtu.be/xZSEgDI-zJw
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Fantastic interview, thank you very much for the link Thomas

Nm
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Today is his birthday. Words have recently seemed to be lacking for me in responding to the news of those passing. I simply posted this here to help keep his legacy from drifting away.