The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine :: June has an "interesting" cover (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I remember one of my magic magazines explaining that a past month's magazine would be arriving late due to the publisher mailing everyone's magazine to one individual's address (I think it was the SAM magazine). So when a magazine arrived in a plain white envelope, my first thought was that it must be the old magazine finally arriving. Not the case. The address on the inside clear plastic envelope was the same as the one on the outside paper envelope. Why then did they put the magazine in a plain paper envelope? I thought, "People are going to think I'm getting a dirty magazine." When I finally took a close look at the June cover of Genii Magazine, I was very HAPPY that it had arrived in a plain paper envelope.

WOW!!! Did not expect that. The world is changing very quickly. Everyday people get in trouble for innocently saying or displaying something that others find offensive. As much as I hate political correctness, it behooves us to play along to a certain degree. I think it was a mistake to put that symbol on the cover of your magazine in 2021. There are many things that I don't personally think should be offensive (such as the CSA flag or the OK sign) but avoid using, because I don't see the point of poking someone in the eye.

How do other people feel? I think it is just a bit tone deaf of the editors to have designed a cover using that World War II symbol.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think if is part of an historical article or piece then it is fine.A lot of people maybe including Kalang did'nt know some of the horrors of
the second world war that were to emerge later.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
mantel
View Profile
Special user
925 Posts

Profile of mantel
What did you think of the article (Was he or wasn't he? Kalang's greatest trick: vanishing history) Tim?
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2021, mantel wrote:
What did you think of the article (Was he or wasn't he? Kalang's greatest trick: vanishing history) Tim?

It was a very interesting article. I especially enjoyed all the photographs. In answer to your question: He was...but it wasn't the greatest vanishing trick. His history was more of just an open secret that few cared to press him on. This quote from page 37 of the article best explains why he got away with so much, "Schreiber's tricks were mere harmless entertainment in comparison. On the stage at Carinhall, Schreiber was no more than a court fool in a tailcoat who knew whom to please." The powerful people in the party were happy to throw this jovial fellow their scraps(money, positions, honors). How many adult males in Germany didn't end up serving the party in some capacity? Taking a stand against the party didn't usually end so well for you. We tend to judge the survivors by how happy they were to serve the party. Schreiber definitely enjoyed his privileges. Most damming for me, is mow much money he seems to have retained from his party affiliations. Putting together such a magical extravaganza just a few years after the war would require a lot of cash and connections. It is easy for us to judge in this Woke Era, but after the war it was a much more nuanced time. Truly talented and likeable individuals have always held an advantage in escaping judgement / punishment (i.e. Bill Cosby).

Do you know why the magazine was delivered in a nondescript envelope? Was it a postal regulations or an individual at Genii's decision?