The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Male Fortune Teller (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Done a lot of Googling lately to try and find some inspiration for a "theatrical," male, fortune teller costume. Not over the top, but interesting.
Any ideas from this august group?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
What kind of fortune teller?

Off the bat I'd say avoid anything stereotypically ethnic unless you are that actual ethnicity.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Was hoping for dark and mysterious without being dark and creepy. LOL
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
What does "Dark" and "mysterious" mean to you?

I think a big part of your issue is that you don't really know what you want yourself. Dark is easy to define - darker shades of clothing. "Mysterious" is very vague and ambiguous and means different things to different people.

What I find is many people who purposely try to be mysterious end up being silly or creepy. Mysterious is more about attitude than clothing. I think there was another thread about this subject some time ago in this section.

Here's what I would recommend. Start with what you find 'respectable', but go for dark shades. Blacks, dark browns, very dark reds. Make one article a brighter shade, to add contrast. As in - if you're wearing dark slacks and a dark vest or waist coat, wear a bright-ish shirt. I'm a fan of using reds, purples, and blues for the accent color myself.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

See, he's interesting! I knew there was something behind his eyes. Look what I found!:

https://mountlowe.altadenahistoricalsoci......n-james/

Smile

Dark and mysterious comes from somewhere, but for sure you can use clothing- authentically- to emphasize "character". I find vintage/period/antique styles work well because there is the natural mystery of times past. Natural materials, like wool, cotton, linen, too, help give a rooted, down to earth, authentic sensibility. Longer hair, maybe, along with cool mustaches, sideburns, beards, again, enhance. But it needs to come from somewhere that connects genuinely with things you relate to and appreciate, I think. It needs some rootedness with interesting details that are congruent with your style. Good luck! Smile
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Here's my issue:

My wife and I do a charity Halloween event for children and adults with developmental disabilities every year (except for 2020 of course)and we expect the event to return this October.

I'd like to do something more stylistically "fortune teller."

I suppose I can just buy an off the rack costume, but that's never been fun for me/us as we try to make our portion of the event (think of a trunk or treat indoors)elaborate, including themed give-a-ways.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Please don't hesitate to throw out more ideas that you think might work!
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I would say:
1. Don't underestimate your audience, whatever their "developmental disabilities".
2. The "fortune teller" bit is largely up to you. The clothes won't be telling the fortunes, but can congruently indicate where "you" are coming from.

What kind of props do you plan to incorporate?

Did you find any images you liked in your own searches?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I noticed your thread on Romany clothing. If you don't want to go with direct Romany, for reasons Christopher alluded to above, you can go more generally "bohemian", and thus with slightly more flair if you feel it's required. Accessories, too, are interesting details you can find: hats, scarves, watches, rings, etc. Again, good luck, and enjoy the costume design process! Smile
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Thanks Laurie! While it is a Halloween event,I am trying to steer away from the "Gypsy" stereotype. The "Fortunes" will be simple and upbeat (as we try to keep the entire event so).
I love designing this every year,but this time I'm drawing a blank.LOL
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I would think one would want to appear professional, non-judgemental, and successful. No one, who thinks at all, would go to a fortune-teller who seems to have no credibility. Your style should give clues as to why you're credible.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Interesting take. After watching multiple old films with 'Fortune Tellers" in them, I notice that they were almost always suave, turbaned men in tuxedos. If I wanted to con people, I might go that route. However, as it will be more of a themed event, I am still leaning toward a male version of the Gypsy from "Drag Me to Hell." Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you watch the movie the movie, The Shadow, and not his character. You could use some of that character to be a male Gypsy. It is all in the way you talk and move. Double breasted suit and large brim hat.

Your phrase would be, "The Fortune Teller, Knows" Adjust your voice lower, while saying it.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Maybe have FUN with it (and set the tone for your Halloween Party atmosphere) by wearing a suit/tux and a top hat with a sign(s) saying FORTUNE TELLER mounted to the front of the hat?

Julie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Any news? Smile
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
I would not worry about stereotypes. If you want to be a gypsy fortune teller then be one.

The indian weddings have some nice turbans. You may even go ridiculous jonny Carson style.

Looking at dark and mysterious leads me to professor marvel from wizard of oz. A cutaway frock coat, a nice vest, and a patterned pants.

Have some decor of the all seeing eye and a crystal ball. Goto Michael's, they halloween decor out right now.

There have been some great books demystifying gypsy scams. Read them!

If you can get an earpiece to send you messages.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Anyone have a link to someone who makes good turbans? (ie not the kind of costume shop crap).

Thanks,
Dave
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
My costumer made me a great one ... She said it wasn't that difficult. A cool suit may represent a successful and wealthy person because of it... However in Florida a wealthy person may be wearing a high grade tropical shirt and some awesome flip flops!!!!! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....