The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: HOLY WOOD by Hanson Chien (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I receved mine a few days ago. It took me 3 days to pry it open the way that they show in the instrutional video. While doing it, a piece of wood colored paper tore off at the corner of the block. Underneath looks like particle board or pressed wood. Covered with wood colored paper. Now I can't get it open again. I am beginning to not like this very much.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2023, PapaG wrote:
What sort of issues?

Hard to open and close if they sit for a couple months. It seems like they need to be handled every few weeks or so. I'll say the same for matchbox pentration and industrial revelation.
steambc
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of steambc
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2023, Acecardician wrote:
I receved mine a few days ago. It took me 3 days to pry it open the way that they show in the instrutional video. While doing it, a piece of wood colored paper tore off at the corner of the block. Underneath looks like particle board or pressed wood. Covered with wood colored paper. Now I can't get it open again. I am beginning to not like this very much.

So then this thing is made of particle board (what we call MDF around here) and not solid wood? Is it a walnut veneer?

I was also wondering about the ends. You can't make end-grain look good with a split. It looks like they used a veneer (or some might call it a "laminate"). Do the ends split in the middle when open, or do they remain intact at full length?

The splitting has been openly discussed here and even on their video, hence why I'm speaking openly about it.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1980 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
The division line in line is very noticeable, at least to me. Anyone else have this issue?
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2023, VernonOnCoins wrote:
The division line in line is very noticeable, at least to me. Anyone else have this issue?

I bought a couple of them a while back and I can't notice the line. Maybe this is something new with some of the newer ones? You could do some "light" sanding in diagonal directions to make it less noticeable.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
This could be the pig in a poke of the year. I finally got it open , and almost broke my fingers. I pushed it closed, and one of the end covers sticks up a bit. Not real noticeable - except underneath it’s shiny silver and sticks out like a sore thumb. Apparently there’s a magnet on the other end that keeps it in place, but no magnet on this end. If I run my finger over the block I can feel a bump in the middle. There’s absolutely no way this block can be examined. I’m going to give it a try at one of my Christmas walk-arounds and see how it goes. I would sell it but would feel too guilty taking money for a piece of garbage. If you’re thinking of buying Holy Wood , save your money.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Sad to hear about problems some are having. Mine continues to work perfectly. It is from the first run of the new size. The nature of the gimmick is totally imperceptible. It still takes some hand strength to set up the gimmick but is not an issue.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I told Ellusionist about my problems with this. They were getting ready to send a replacement and a label to send this one back. Then at the last second they cancelled it and sent me this note:

"We spoke to Hanson Chien, he kindly requested a video showcasing the issue. He's eager to assist further and prefers direct communication. It would be greatly appreciated if you could reach out to him at hansonchienproduction@gmail.com

Best,

Romy"

I URGE EVERYONE with a problem with this to send an email to: hansonchienproduction@gmail.com

I just did. Maybe he can fix the problem one way or another. If enough people write him, maybe that will let him know there is a bigger problem, and he might be more apt to get a solution. Maybe they need a recall.

Lets stick together on this. No one should just accept a defective product. Not at this price point.

Thanks.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have sent him 2 PM’s with no response. I’ll give this a try. Thanks
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
I'm glad I bought mine when I did.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
My email came back as not deliverable
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Whoops - sent it to “products” instead of production. Re-sent
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I received an immediate response from Wilson at Hanson Chien Production. He was very concerned, and asked me to send a video of the block from all angles, and said the block did not appear to meet their usual standards. I inferred they would ship me a replacement after a team discussion. Excellent service - maybe I just happened to get one made on Friday afternoon. Will keep you posted.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Video has been sent. I discovered there should be be a magnet to hold the end in place after “restoration”. The magnet is not there - the end of the block is not held in place, but sticks up a mm or two - enough for my wife to say “what’s under there?”. Will report back as soon as I hear from Wilson or Hanson. So far very pleased with their service. I may have mentioned I contacted Ellusionist and their response was “watch the tutorial again. This was the first thing I ever purchased from Ellusionist, and probably my last.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer you a refund.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3699 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The dealer was apparently told to defer all complaints directly to Hanson. And I have to say, working with his people (Wilson) has been an excellent experience. They apologized for the problems I was having and said a new prop was on its way.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2023, jimhlou wrote:
The dealer was apparently told to defer all complaints directly to Hanson. And I have to say, working with his people (Wilson) has been an excellent experience. They apologized for the problems I was having and said a new prop was on its way.

That is good news. It really is a fabulous item. But can definitely understand how frustrating it would be to have one not working properly.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
Glad it worked out so far.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1980 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Mine opens up same as ever and I haven’t touched it in over a year. The seam is very visible when closed which is why I’ve never used it. Wish I could exchange for another but I’m sure it’s too late.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
I think it's fine to have the spectator open the card box and take it out, but I wouldn't be passing it out for inspection.