The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: HOLY WOOD by Hanson Chien (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3..18~19~20 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Wow. This looks amazing.

A DECK OF CARDS MORPHS INTO A WOOD BLOCK

This miracle is designed by Hanson Chien and engineered by Yao.

BASIC EFFECT

Take a card push it through a solid deck of cards. When the card box is opened, however, the deck is solid…but a solid block of wood.

FEATURES

-No way
-No kidding
-Easy to carry
-Easy to perform
-A Self-Working Miracle
-An art piece rather than a prop

This art piece is proudly made in Taiwan. Each unit is individually fine-tuned by hand to ensure smooth and seamless operation.

It’s produced in small quantities and availability will be limited.

Comes with beautiful handmade block + 2 boxes with slit.

Complete with detailed instructions by Hanson Chien.

NOTE: Playing cards NOT included.

SEE WHAT THE PROS ARE SAYING

“When I first opened the gimmick, I literally thought Hanson just shipped a block of wood to me as a prank. Upon further inspection,I was wrong. The gimmick is beautifully crafted, truly a piece of art.”
- Eric Chien

“I love it! With the right presentation, this is a very solid routine you can perform anytime anywhere for real people. I can’t wait to perform it!”
- Henry Harrius

“Really amazing craft! I cannot feel more comfortable playing with it.”
- Horret Wu

“This is the best version I’ve ever seen! The process is logical and effective!”
- Jeki Yoo

“Among all the versions of card thru solid block this is by far the most elegant, practical and probably the only one I will carry everyday without feeling a heavy weight in my close-up saddle bag.”
- Yif

https://www.hanson-chien.com/products/holy-wood
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Wow, I want this trick. Looks great.
I like impossible effects...
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree and so much better than lugging a heavy rusty lump of steel around. Has the same desired effect, although you’ll have to take extra care of this work of art.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
Definitely a very cool version for the penetration effect. Love the added idea of the cards morphing into the block of wood.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It needs to be made extremely well, as anyone who views this will most definitely want to look and touch the block of wood. The only logical explanation is that it separates. So, unless they can look at it and literally hold it in their hand for observation (which might include lightly tugging in it) it will need to be made to "lock".

Anyone know just how tight this one is?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4326 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Inspectability? Durability? Wood can chip and warp. I prefer the heavy steel version. This Looks very good though. I'm sure he had put a lot of work into it.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2021, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It needs to be made extremely well, as anyone who views this will most definitely want to look and touch the block of wood. The only logical explanation is that it separates. So, unless they can look at it and literally hold it in their hand for observation (which might include lightly tugging in it) it will need to be made to "lock".

Anyone know just how tight this one is?

How then wood (joke) you unlock it? As long as it’s stiff enough to pass casual inspection it’ll be fine. I’m not sure anyone will consider that it somehow separates to form a gap. It’s just a block of wood isn’t it?
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
I wish as well that it would lock, although that does mean a slower reset. I love the organic feel of the wood, however I do wonder as well how easy it comes apart.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I had a pretty good brass version a long time ago. I was young and did not use very good audience management. Someone looked at it and rubbed it with their thumbs, both thumbs while holding it with both hands, and it separated slightly. Just enough where you could see the secret.

Anyone who looks at it will look right at the middle, where the card went through it. And their natural instinct is to touch it (just as the lady did in the first video demo). If they start to pull on it, and you immediately take it from them, they will know. If you don't, it better be a strong fit, or your busted. And why wouldn't they pull on it....after all, it is just a block of wood (or a chunk of steel).
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
All true observations. Maybe the creator will answer these questions here?
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The wood grain is an interesting alternative to the standard techniques when it comes to choice of material.

Funny, when I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to be something simpler, like a wooden Omni Deck, haha.

I imagine this will be made out of some kind of hard wood...or a specially prepared material that uses wood, like an epoxy that contains wood (fibers...? I'm already over my pay grade, here!).

In the trailer, it is shown with a knife going through the deck. I thought, "Don't do THAT! It's WOOD!" Smile Again, it's construction could make that just fine. I imagine they will have found a way to make it durable, the question (as always on these) will be how deceptive it is.

Looking forward to seeing more!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
95 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
When she takes the wood block out of the box I noticed a slight sheen down the center of the block. You can see it when the light hits it. Wonder how invisible the slit is?
McIntyreMagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn, NY
88 Posts

Profile of McIntyreMagic
Love this idea for the presentation side of things--it just makes sense that cards turn into wood. I have the same concerns that rowdy mentioned as well.
John McIntyre
My website: http://mcintyremagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
The wood grain is an interesting alternative to the standard techniques when it comes to choice of material.

Funny, when I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to be something simpler, like a wooden Omni Deck, haha.

I imagine this will be made out of some kind of hard wood...or a specially prepared material that uses wood, like an epoxy that contains wood (fibers...? I'm already over my pay grade, here!).

In the trailer, it is shown with a knife going through the deck. I thought, "Don't do THAT! It's WOOD!" Smile Again, it's construction could make that just fine. I imagine they will have found a way to make it durable, the question (as always on these) will be how deceptive it is.

Looking forward to seeing more!

That makes sense if it is indeed constructed from an epoxy type resin, to assimilate wood but much harder, or at least the working parts.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I ordered this a few days ago and it shipped today. I should have it in a couple of weeks or less I hope. I will email anybody pictures of it once I have it to show how it looks if wanted. Just pm me you email.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Hanson did make this video answering some of the questions (make sure you turn on the Closed Captions for English subtitles). I have one coming my way too so I can let you guys know once it arrives. I'm really excited to play around with it.

Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Russ182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Russ182
I am tempted but I have Jamie Grants Industrial Revolution and would never part with it even though it is a heavy bit of kit . Love the idea of this as it would save my suit pockets just wondering if its made of wood could it warp ?
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looks like a good one. The story is interesting too.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
- uses a 'wooden skin' to hide the work

- I never got any indication that the material was anything other than a block of wood. Sure wouldn't like an accidental dent in the wrong location. I hope they're using a hardwood!

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2021, JustJoshinMagic wrote:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
codydavismagic
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of codydavismagic
Also ended up getting this despite my concerns. I'll let you know what I think when I get it