The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Looking for Doves in Florida (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicByRy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicByRy
Looking for White Doves in the Florida area. Have called most shops in the area and also looking into some of the shipping services but their prices seem quite high so thought I would ask on here first.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You have to locate a breeder for doves. Shipping costs is out of sight at this time. The doves should only be under $30 for the bird, but you have to buy 2, because they need company so they don't die.

Call magic shops and magicians in your area, on where you might find Java Doves.

Java doves are extremely difficult to find. Most doves today are white ring necks. Doves don't necessarily need company to survive. When I started out, I had 1 bird for over a year until I developed my act and started raising them. If you do op for two doves and have a male and female, be prepared for little ones.

In any case, do not buy doves from a pet shop. Typically they aren't cared for and very often aren't as healthy as they look.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I posted this in another thread a short time ago about shipping doves.

Quote:
Shipping 3 birds through the post office costs approximately $30 for 2 day delivery. When I was shipping birds about 5 years ago, the price was $22 so it hasn't increased that much. The price of live stock shipping boxes has increased because they come with special filters. You have to check around. You can use a regular box in most cases. Every post office has different rules so best to check with them before shipping.

Jave doves are smaller than normal doves so fit well into an act however you'll find it difficult to find them. Most workers use white ringneck doves. It isn't necessary to have multiple birds. When I started out, I had one bird for over a year but as my act grew, so did my need for more birds so I started raising them. If you do get a pair, male and female, be prepared for little ones.

In any case, do not purchase doves from a pet shop. Very often they aren't cared for properly and are not as healthy as they look. Bill is correct. Try to contact local magicians and magic shops for recommendations. A breeder is best but very often high priced.
Where the magic begins