The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: TimeSmith by Benke Smith (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
007lookalike
View Profile
New user
UK
15 Posts

Profile of 007lookalike
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, MentalPhilo wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, 007lookalike wrote:
I managed to 'transplant' a Fossil Q Hybrid watch mechanism into a
vintage looking pocket watch case. It works very well so I think I'll make some more!
https://youtu.be/-SghJxtQcM0

This looks very nice! I believe the Fossil Q Hybrid’s have their logo on the face. Is this present, or were you able to remove it during the procedure?

I removed the Fossil face and used a copy of the pocket watch's original face showing a date of 1876. I used the original hands too.
Nobody's Inflammable!
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
36 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
vintage looking pocket watch case. It works very well so I think I'll make some more!

This looks very nice! I believe the Fossil Q Hybrid’s have their logo on the face. Is this present, or were you able to remove it during the procedure?

I removed the Fossil face and used a copy of the pocket watch's original face showing a date of 1876. I used the original hands too.

Amazing! Do you plan on making more to sell them? If so I would be interested! Does it need charging or use a battery? I cant’t remember but think the Fossil Hybrid has/needs both. Either way how hard is it to get it the power it needs?
007lookalike
View Profile
New user
UK
15 Posts

Profile of 007lookalike
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Amazing! Do you plan on making more to sell them? If so I would be interested! Does it need charging or use a battery? I cant’t remember but think the Fossil Hybrid has/needs both. Either way how hard is it to get it the power it needs?

PM'd you.
Nobody's Inflammable!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, notasperfectasyou wrote:
I'm definitely interested in buying the TimeSmith app and running it with a Fossil watch. Can anyone tell me:

1) Will the Fossil watches have all the same capabilities as the SB watches when integrated with the TimeSmith app?
2) Will any Fossil Hybrid watch work with the app, or is there a list of the ones that work with the app?
3) I would like to control the watch with my voice and an iPhone. Can anyone comment on the environmental characteristics (surrounding noise) and placement of the iPhone that may be needed to make this consistently workable?

I'm interested in wearing the Fossil watch everyday, and maybe changing it up from time to time. I would want this to be an impromptu "miracle" I could perform on the spot for folks wherever I might be. Thanks for any thoughts you can share. Ken

Andras's watch has at least one feature that I do not believe exists in other hybrid watches. Namely, an accelerometer. And Benke is planning to use that accelerometer to add some additional effects to TimeSmith.

Seriously, if I was in the market for a hybrid watch, the only one I'd consider right now is Andras's watch.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
Does the Turner watch have a built-in accelerometer? I suspect not. Firmware alone can't add one either.
Mark

Ok Mark - no fair using big words. What's the accelerometer and how is that different than what a Fossil watch does?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I just want the basic effect and the hands to set quick (on a real working watch) with a stealth input remote. I don’t need any other features but do want a pocket watch version. I may contact 007 lookalike as his looked brilliant imo Gaz 😊
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Actually 007lookalike can you pm me as your pm is disabled. Thank you Gaz 😊
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
An accelerometer allows the app to detect movement of the watch. Meaning, whether the watch has been tilted or turned.

I foresee the possibility that a time could be set by simply handling or moving the watch a certain way. These movements would be communicated to the app and then the app would send the time. It may be done in conjunction with other devices that Andras has in development (such as GhostMove).

Benke & Andras have made it clear that there will be certain effects and capabilities that will be limited to the watches that Andras sells. It is awesome that Benke is supporting the Fossil and other watches but I believe maximum potential will be dependent on having an Andras brand of watch.

Mark
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
36 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:
An accelerometer allows the app to detect movement of the watch. Meaning, whether the watch has been tilted or turned.

I foresee the possibility that a time could be set by simply handling or moving the watch a certain way. These movements would be communicated to the app and then the app would send the time. It may be done in conjunction with other devices that Andras has in development (such as GhostMove).

Benke & Andras have made it clear that there will be certain effects and capabilities that will be limited to the watches that Andras sells. It is awesome that Benke is supporting the Fossil and other watches but I believe maximum potential will be dependent on having an Andras brand of watch.

Mark

But I’m impatient! I want a pocket watch yesterday.
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, Magic Mark wrote:

Mark

Thanks Mark. It is a tough choice since I'm not looking for a lot here. I'd be giving up style and options and cost to buy the Andras Watch. I have to think about that.

Regarding the Accelerometer, are you saying that this allows the watch to be held in various positions when doing the "magic"? Whereas a Fossil Watch would have to be held in a specific position?

Also, can you comment on the sort of environment that is needed and how close to your mouth does the phone need to be?

I appreciate the help understanding this. $300 is a lot for a gimmick. Ken
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I only want a wrist watch with a second hand otherwise a pocket watch without one. That lets Andras watch down imo and makes it look hybrid. The Turner watch is sh.te as barely it works anymore (it does have a second hand, but there is everyone and his dog selling them second hand) and they have ars.h.les behind the product. We knew that from the start though. So I never fell into that trap, Gaz 😊
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, notasperfectasyou wrote:
Thanks Mark. It is a tough choice since I'm not looking for a lot here. I'd be giving up style and options and cost to buy the Andras Watch. I have to think about that.

Regarding the Accelerometer, are you saying that this allows the watch to be held in various positions when doing the "magic"? Whereas a Fossil Watch would have to be held in a specific position?

Also, can you comment on the sort of environment that is needed and how close to your mouth does the phone need to be?

I appreciate the help understanding this. $300 is a lot for a gimmick. Ken

You should really request to join the TimeSmith group on Facebook. Andras posted a video on April 13 that demonstrates the sensitivity of the accelerometer in the Andras watch. It's just a visual sample demo of how tilting/moving the watch can be recorded. But it makes one realize there is a lot of capability built into the design. How that extra capability will eventually be used remains to be seen. I, for one, would rather have the capability available, just in case a very cool effect or routine comes along that requires the capability.

Mark
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I think it’s guilding the lily I am happy with a miracle
Gaz 😊
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I only want a wrist watch with a second hand otherwise a pocket watch without one. That lets Andras watch down imo and makes it look hybrid. The Turner watch is sh.te as barely it works anymore (it does have a second hand, but there is everyone and his dog selling them second hand) and they have ars.h.les behind the product. We knew that from the start though. So I never fell into that trap, Gaz 😊

The Nobody Cares watch grabbed my attention. I'm a gadget lover and such a watch is right up my alley. But I also got a bad feeling from the start. I never pulled the trigger on a T and I'm REALLY glad I didn't.

As for the lack of a second hand, nobody has noticed. Nobody cares. For my routine, I feign pulling out the crown of the watch to stop the movement before setting my prediction. The watch isn't supposed to be running when the prediction is revealed to the spectator. So, if there was a second hand, it wouldn't be moving anyway. It's superfluous.

I anxiously await Andras's pocket watch. When I receive one, after testing it, the first thing I'll do is start aging the case.

Mark
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The second doesn’t need to be moving when the time has stopped but it seems ludicrous to me why Andras hasn’t added one. My feeling is he would if he could and will in a future updated model. In the meantime time (Greenwich meantime) I have gone directly to 007 and will be ordering his pocket watch because that’s perfect for the routine I have planned. An old pocket watch wouldn’t have one ( a second hand) so it’s perfect imo whether that has one or not Gaz 😊
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
52 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2021, BenkeSmith wrote:
I have discovered a way to make all the hands freeze after you enter any custom time with any method. Please PM me and I will send you a link... Smile

I'm interested in buying a Fossil FB-01 watch to combine with the Time Smith. Will this discovery work on the second hand of a FB-01 watch? Thanks for your help. Ken
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The second doesn’t need to be moving when the time has stopped but it seems ludicrous to me why Andras hasn’t added one. My feeling is he would if he could and will in a future updated model. In the meantime time (Greenwich meantime) I have gone directly to 007 and will be ordering his pocket watch because that’s perfect for the routine I have planned. An old pocket watch wouldn’t have one ( a second hand) so it’s perfect imo whether that has one or not Gaz 😊

The watch that 007 uses definitely has a vintage look, but it's not really an "old pocket watch". The 1876 pocket watch is available (brand new) for about $50. I considered installing an Andras watch mechanism in one myself. There are a couple of people that have shared in the TimeSmith Facebook group after putting hybrid mechanisms in pocket watches, a couple of them truly vintage pocket watches.

And second hands were quite common on pocket watches in the late 19th century. In fact, if you goggle 1870's pocket watch images, more of them have a second hand than not.

Charlie Dent installed a Andras mechanism in the 1876 pocket watch (same $50 watch that 007 is using) back in January. All detailed in Facebook group. He linked a page with detailed photos of the conversion and included necessary 3D print files to print a ring that houses the hybrid mechanism inside the much larger pocket watch.

Charlie commented that switching the mechanism to that pocket watch case reduced the Bluetooth range somewhat significantly. But it's still within his required working range, so he was happy.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
BTW, I think the #1 reason Andras decided against a second hand is because, in normal running mode, a sweeping second hand would eat the battery a lot faster. My Andras watch is still at 94% battery on the battery it came with. I purchased it on day one. I know the T watches eat their battery much more quickly than that.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Coming to TimeSmith... The ability to set/control multiple watches at the same time. Benke shared a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLJoxJ69m0

Fun!

They will also be able to be controlled independently, changing the time on one without affecting the others.

This multi-watch functionality will be no extra charge for owners of the Andras watch. Those that purchased TimeSmith to use with other brands of watch will have a nominal upgrade fee (per Benke's post on the TimeSmith Facebook Group).

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1536 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Regarding the accelerometer (motion sensor) in Andras's watch, Benke has shared a clever idea that was suggested by a customer... In my performance, I feign pulling out the watch crown and feign turning the crown to set my prediction time. This is done with the watch face toward me, of course. But with this new idea, a certain directional tilt of the watch would actually cause the watch hands to move. Thus, this nifty feature (which Benke plans to add to TimeSmith) would allow the magician to show that he is turning the crown and moving the hands.

It is a very clever idea. Benke posted a brief demo video in the Facebook group. He says the tilt position will be customizable.

Another possibility is a which object routine. The magician removes his wrist watch and places it on the table. He places a die next to it and perhaps a business card case. Then he borrows a bill from the spectator which the magician crumples into a ball. He borrows one more object, say, a coin (it could be any small object) and places it on the table too. Now there are 5 different objects on the table. The magician turns his back and instructs the spectator to choose any object and quietly hold it behind his back. Then cover the remaining objects with a newspaper or cloth napkin. The magician can then easily reveal which object the spectator has behind his back. All using everyday objects.

The watch is Andras's watch, the die is a Spotted Die, the forthcoming GhostMove is in the business card case and a 2nd GhostMove gets secretly crumbled into the bill. The coin is just a coin.

Mark