The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine :: The January 2021 Issue of Genii is Here (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman

Join us as we begin our 22 year as stewards of the finest magic magazine on earth, Genii, The Conjurors’ Magazine. Subscribe for as little as $35 a year at www.geniimagazine.com.

Once, while in Los Angeles, Mike Elizalde invited me over to see his shop, Spectral Motion, which creates makeup and special effects for films, TV, theme parks, and so on. I was required to sign a non-disclosure agreement before entering, and with good reason. I can never reveal the amazing things seen that day. My lips are legally sewn shut like those of a shrunken head. However, you will be able to see a bunch of Mike’s work in our cover story this month, in which Jim Steinmeyer tells the tale of a magic-loving kid who grew up to be a wizard in more ways than one. And there are monsters, too.
While most of us are familiar with the name Johann Hofzinser, the father of modern card magic, less known is the man who rescued Hofzinser’s legacy from oblivion, Ottokar Fischer. A Viennese magician and collector, we are forever in his debt, and Magic Christian looks into his life.
The obituaries seem to pile up these days. This month we report on the deaths of Matthew Field, Walter “Zaney” Blaney, and Joe Kardwell.
A new year and some changes. Mike Caveney’s “Classic Correspondence” concluded its current series with our November issue, and this month we are pleased as punch to premier the column that takes its place—“Material Concessions” by David Regal. David has been a contributor to Genii for many decades and his new column is something you will enjoy.
John Bannon has lost some weight and tarted himself up for 2021. He’s a whole new guy! But his wonderful card creations have not changed, and you’ll find another one this month in “Dealing With It.” * The three-part series by Richard Wiseman and David Kaye on “Positive Magic” for kids concludes this month. Wouldn’t it be nice if an attitude of positive magic was included in your performances for everyone? I’ve just written the description of a trick by Larry Jennings called “The Test” for a future book. If presented poorly, the title could be “Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,” since the spectator is tested on the location of a card three times and is never correct. But Larry walked a clever line that put a positive spin on the spectator’s inability to keep track of his card. I think we could all use some positive magic right now. * Hannibal regales us with a tale of his first performance at The Magic Castle in “Happiness is the Road.” * This month Mr. Racherbaumer exhumes two tricks! * In “Stage as Studio” Krystyn Lambert muses about self doubt. * Libby Ward tells us all about the online magic classes being offered by the Academy of Magical Arts in “Knights at The Magic Castle.” * Chloe Olewitz tackles the news to the ground in “The Eye”; Jonathan Friedman teaches three tricks in “Magicana”; and to end the year Tom Frame reviews books, Brad Henderson reviews tricks, and Bill Wells reviews videos.