The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: T.V. Performances? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I've done kids TV locally. I taught a couple of tricks, and told them where to find beginners books on magic. Smile I've also done national TV work in Peru. They were so impressed with the simplest things. Like a coloring book! It was awsome!!
Buster
View Profile
New user
Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Buster
I've never performed on TV myself, but being in the TV business for 9+ years and having directed live magic performances, I have a few tips.
First, time should be one of your foremost considerations. If you are performing during a newscast, (many newscasts will have magicians as guests for "community chat" types of segments) the time your given is the exact air time you will get. If you go over time don't expect to be asked back. Find out as soon as possible how much time you have and base your performance accordingly. If you are part of a "talk" type of show, and you are entertaining enough, expect to be given more time. You may want to pack an extra trick or two.
Finally, if possible, go over your performance with the show's director. That way there will be a better chance of the right camera shots appearing on air when they should. Any more TV questions? Feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help anyway I can.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
My hands are getting sweaty just reading this thread.

I think I'd be nervous.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2001-10-30 11:20, RayBanks wrote:
It could be that guest shots on TV programs are so short that it is hard to do a routine of magic except for a couple of quick and visual tricks.

Also, for magic to be good on TV the camera must stay in position, as if a member of the audience. Cutting from one shot to another destroys the effect and could lead to some extremely bad angles.

I have been live on television several times - the most cameras I had filming was eight! It gave a whole new dimension to a 360 degree illusion - it made the whole thing more unbelievable as people saw this for the first time from angles they had never seen before ( an upward levitation) Smile

(By the way I love this vent so why I have "adopted it" - where did you guys get these gifs from!!)
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I've done a few...

Find surrounded effects, if you don't want much problems... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Getting ready to do something for a local access cable channel. I'm leaning towards Extreme Burn and CSB, because I think both will stand up well to repeat viewings. (by my family, and whoever else in town I can get to watch). Now that I think of it gotta check with Richard Sanders to see if he reserved the rights to perform Extreme Burn on TV!
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
Only on local television
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
Asside from many news stories, I been on America's Got Talent twice. Keep in mind it is a reality show and not a "real" talent show which only shows the best of the best. Main things to keep in mind.
1) keep it simple, they are looking for eye candy, not complex routines.
2) Make sure you can get legal clearance for your music, voiceovers, and sound effects. NO TRADEMARKS OR LOGOS on costume and props.
3) have a sad background story.

Quote:
On Sep 11, 2001, Steve Landavazo wrote:
Hello everyone!

Thanks for responding!

I’m just curious if any of you have performed on T.V.?

What was the overall experience like?

Steve Smile

Click here to view attached image.