The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Rice Silk King Studios - an appreciation (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I recently placed a small order with Rice Silk King Studios and wanted to note what a pleasure it was to receive my order very nicely packaged , with a good set of instructions, and the silks themselves are of the high quality as Rice is known for. Fast shipping , too. I only wish I could order more. Ruth Rice Crone has a limited amount of stock and when the existing stock is all sold that's all there is, so if you're looking to purchase any Rice Silk items don't wait too long. I'm afraid this level of quality and service is fading away.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/index.htm
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Great reminder of this wonderful company -

I have some of their silks and need to stock up, I don’t think anyone will match their quality again.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Great Folks!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I bought from them too. nice people.
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Thank you everyone for all the loving kudos. It has been my honor, privilege and pleasure to serve the magic community, especially all the folks on the wonderful Magic Café.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Well, this is very interesting:

There is now a new website design for Silk King Studios: https://www.silkkingmagic.com/ and an announcement posted:

Quote:
"Founded in 1929 by Harold and Thelma Rice, the "King and Queen of Silk Magic," Silk King Studios has long been internationally famous for producing the world’s finest professional quality silks, silk effects, and silk magic books.

Harold and Thelma's daughter Ruth Rice Crone assumed the business in the early 2000's continuing the day-to-day operations and developing the company's first website.

In 2020 Mrs. Crone passed the business to David Haversat the proprietor of magic brands such as Petrie Lewis (P&L), Zanadu, National Magic, 1878 Press Co. & Haversat and Ewing Galleries, LLC.

We look forward to serving you and continuing the excellence that the names Rice and Silk King Studios have been synonymous with for over 90 years.

-David Haversat

The website also notes:
"ADDITIONAL ITEMS WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY FROM OUR VAST LINE OF SILK PRODUCTS."

Click here to view attached image.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes< I just placed an order with David Haversat who is deeply involved in vintage books, props, auctions, etc;
It appears he has acquired there remaining inventory of SKS.
Although everything is not yet on the new website, he is actively involved in making all the remaining items available to those who need and want them.

He responded quickly to my order and I am throughly pleased!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
There appears to be a sudden flood of "SKS" silks on several online dealers sites. They seem to be priced much lower than previously available. Does anyone know if these are original?
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2021, Obviously wrote:
There appears to be a sudden flood of "SKS" silks on several online dealers sites. They seem to be priced much lower than previously available. Does anyone know if these are original?

Where did you see them?
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
I've noticed them at multiple outlets lately. Mostly the designed picture silks, but the solid spectrums as well.
For example: Stevens magic emporium, RPmagic.com, Penguin etc...
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
So...David Haversat appears to have taken over the Silk King Studios business (see above). From his website I see the following:

"1878 Press Company, a division of Zanadu-Petrie Lewis, LLC - specializes in the publishing and distribution of hard and soft cover books. The
company also manufactures and sells fine silks for the magic industry known as the Rice Brand of SKS Studios. For additional information please
contact us."

Does this mean that "new" SKS silks are being made and sold again? Is this why other dealers are starting to carry them? If so, are they the same quality as the original "old stock" that Ruth was offering (6 Momme, special spectrum dyes, rolled hem, etc.)?
Those of you who own any original SKS brand will understand what I mean.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Dave is a friend of mine and a great asset to the magic community, he did indeed purchase Silk King Studios as well as Adams and I believe P & L, if he did no do this these wonderful companies would now be defunct.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
About sixteen years ago I had a desire for a large butterfly silk as part of a routine for an Assisted Living Center.
Having money ever and for this "no charge" event, I wrote Ruth on the chance they had a second or damaged one.

She send me one with a bill for $10.00 - exquisite and I can find nothing wrong with it.

No, I will not sell it, but might gift it forward to someone in need.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Always had great experiences when purchasing Rice Silks through Ruth. Lovely lady!
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Thank you for all the nice comments. It was my pleasure and honor to have a role in continuing the running of Silk King Studios and its safe landing after my retirement. I enjoyed a wonderful lifetime with my parents, Harold and Thelma Rice and their magic friends, including many happy years at all of the conventions.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ruth: You have always been a pleasure to do business with.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2021, Obviously wrote ...

Does this mean that "new" SKS silks are being made and sold again?

Over two years and no one has answered this important question.

Inquiring minds want to know!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Simple answer: my understanding is that David has 'reprinted' or remade only a couple of silks. The rest are original old stock. The remade ones are identical to the originals, but are slightly heavier- perhaps a 8 momme rather than a 5 or 6 momme. I like them better!
visit me @ JNealShow.com