The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Issues with Double Cross (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
JayCee0919
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JayCee0919
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, imgic wrote:
I recently got a Double cross and have played with a bit. The putty does seem a bit wobbly but doable. My bigger issue is "erasing" the mark on my hand.

Always seems to leave a smudge or tell-tale mark.

Any advice?

I try to "pinch" it off pretty hard and it comes right out - maybe touch a glass to get some condensation on your fingers if you're in that setting. If not, I usually just joke that I didn't get it all the first time and "let's not leave the job half done", or something. I think, since your audience may not know where the effect is going, it's not bad to leave a little smudge. It actually helps if the stamper doesn't quite do it's job...you can go back and say "well I did leave a little here"...

Hope that is helpful
JayCee0919
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JayCee0919
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2021, Xcath1 wrote:
I am surprised about the the stamp not being fully inked. I would have to think a problem with stamp or the ink cartridge if I were a pro I would just get another on. You could remove the ink cartridge and replace with one that has been cut slightly longer or put something underneath your cartridge to make it stick out a little more

It's a famine or feast with this at times. Sometimes it's "over inked" and leaves a bit of smudge on the part surrounding the stamp - other times it pushes the ink-portion down into the Sharpie and doesn't make enough contact. In either case I've learned to check and test this prior to taking it out for an evening. My wife can tell when I do this by the number of X's on my upper arm Smile

I actually bought two since I lost (then found) one of the stampers - I love the effect so it's money well spent
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I always check it too. Las night it worked during “check” but then it was dry during performance. I think I will just have to replace my pre-COVID pen.
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
Hey guys. I have a constant problem with Double Cross hoping someone can help. The ink that you write with wasn’t working so I replaced it. After just a few uses it is completely dry. It works sometimes but most of the time I do the move and then go to write the X on my hand and the market just will not write. Since I already replaced the ink once I can’t imagine that’s the issue again. Does anyone else have this issue?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I like the modernization concept of Double Cross, I still prefer the ashes on hand. I have not experienced an issue of the ashes not working.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have to say I have not had great luck replacing the ink myself, don't know what. For $25 MagicSmith will recondition your pen.
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
What do you mean by recondition your pen?
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Does anyone else have trouble removing the stamper tip? I get ink on my hands most times I try this.
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
Do you mean during performance?
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Yes
mikenewyork
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mikenewyork
I think it just takes a little practice. Holding the ends of the st**per with your thumb and middle finger while it's stuck to your index finger
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
Thanks Mike I will try again, I have sausage fingers Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4544 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I press down with my middle finger and use my thumb on the opposite hand to pop the cap off.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1358 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I don't really have problems with it too often. Knead the putty (stir it around right while it's on the marker) before your gig and maybe again after you do the trick 2 or 3 times, that keeps it sticky. Before you do the gig test the stamp on your own skin somwhere the X won't show. The length of the felt ink tube thingy for the X part has to be just right, too short and it doesn't ink the X well, too long and the cap doesn't close good, it also needs to not be cut at an angle. Sometimes the rim around the X gimmick gets gunked up and the cap doesn't close well so that has to be cleaned up by scraping it off. I don't ask which hand they write with, etc, I just stamp their left hand, doesn't seem to matter - I don't like that magicians choice thing, seems not needed in this case, I get great reactions anyway. After I stamp them and both their hands are in a fist I say, OK, move your hands around all over the place back and forth quickly(partially for time misdirection), then I act like I'm aiming the X carefully when I throw it while their hands are moving. Then sometimes I act like I'm not sure which hand it ended up in and I ask them to check their right hand first, then they freak when they see the left hand with the X.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Yall everything but completely revealed how this trick works in this thread here... so I'm guessing the missing part to this effect they don't tell us is that in the begining you grab the spectators hands and pull them closer... I don't get how the trick is sold to us without showing that begining part... and they tell us 'they will swear you never touched their hands...' that seems like a huge stretch... maybe there is something more to the effect besides what I'm saying? I feel It would be impossible to fool me with this and anyone with an iq above 80... someone touches my hand and I remember they touched it no matter how they might try to make me forget, I'm gonna remember my hands being touched... and esp post pandemic world... people now are super conscious about contact... how many of you still preform this in today's post pandemic world?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7579 Posts

Profile of RNK
I have found where I live the consensus is everyone is over the pandemic. I have found at my strolling events less than 1% are still wearing a mask that no one has any issues with holding props or being touched. Obviously this has a lot to do with what state you live in.
Also, through my experiences I have found that effect such as these, with a proper time misdirection and presentation. No one truly remembers or puts it together that you touch them prior to anything happening.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Yoik it does seem impossible to get away with and yet nearly everyone does nearly all the time. I have been “caught” once or twice in many many many performances. I’m surprised myself. Someone standing next to the person will say did he touch you and they will say no. It’s like the video where someone changes their shirt, the background, the table cloth almost everything and and it’s not noticed. it’s an attention thing. You won’t know unless you try it a few times. And then f you don’t then one less person doing it.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
It will be interesting to try sometime I guess... so is that the main way to do it? Ask them to come closer and pull them towards you? Or do yall have something better to say/do to make it less noticeable? I've been studying hypnotic suggestions so maybe I can come up with a way to make it less noticeable with some extra hypnotic suggestions in my language...
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yes, tell them to put there hands out, palm down. It should be slightly unclear, which is why you mime for the what they are supposed to do. As you do this, intentionally hold your hands out in the correct position but lower than where you want their hands to be. As they mime your position, just casually say bring your hands up a little and just briefly touch and raise their hands up to the proper height. Just keep right on going, Boom! Done.

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
It will be interesting to try sometime I guess... so is that the main way to do it? Ask them to come closer and pull them towards you? Or do yall have something better to say/do to make it less noticeable? I've been studying hypnotic suggestions so maybe I can come up with a way to make it less noticeable with some extra hypnotic suggestions in my language...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:

The last post is a great idea. I use a ploy that fits in my performance style where I claim I can determine if the spectator is right/left handed. It's a funny bit, and I pretend to weigh their hands and boom stamped. Then I time delay and no one connects the moments. The stamping action should fit your character in performance. If it's something you would do regardless, it's now invisible.
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)