The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Getting rid of egg in glass from Silk To Egg after the show (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
John Vincelli
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC
34 Posts

Profile of John Vincelli
I got booked for the first time since April at small venue.
I’ve been thinking of including Silk To Egg in my show, but I’ve never done it live before because of the ending with the egg yolk and shell in the glass at the end. So many questions. How do I get rid of it once I’m done? Do I leave it on the table until the end of the show? Once I get off stage, do I put it in a ziploc bag or dump it in a garbage at the venue? When do I clean it? At home? Venue bathroom? I’m so used to packing up quickly and ready to leave as soon as I get off stage.
John knows!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There use to be a trick called, "Egg in Paper Plus" way back when. I found that solution was perfect for "Silk to Egg". Before that solution, I use to go to the men's bathroom right after the show and dump the egg, not the shell into a toilet, and flush it. The shell I would wrap in paper towel and just put in the waste basket in the men's restroom. Don't forget to wash your hands.

Today's eggs all seem to have very thin shells, and if you hit them against something to crack them, they shatter into pieces. I found Eggs from the local dollar store have a little harder shells.

I always take some paper towels with me, in case I get egg all over my hands during performance. Wet wipes is a good idea as well.

A good trick that fits well with Egg in paper plus, is a simple newspaper tear. the gimmick fits in a newspaper and I just throw the bag with egg into the trash. Following the Silk to Egg, I perform the newspaper tear, then dump the egg into the newspaper, leave it until the end throw it into the trash.

You can also use the gimmick for vanishing liquid in newspaper. Always gets a good reaction from the audiences.

So the choice is yours and how you wish to work your solution.
John Vincelli
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC
34 Posts

Profile of John Vincelli
I'm just trying to look for the most convenient way possible to dump the egg after performance and I pack everything up. You gave me an idea though and I'll see if that works for me. Thanks for the response.
John knows!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Raw eggs can poison you with Salmonella, so you should make sure it is disposed up properly, and wash your glass an hands, or run the risk of getting very sick and may poison others. Not to mention that I have spoiled a number of silks by not properly cleaning up. Somehow the runny whites and broken yoke can get on other props when not handling correctly and double checking.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I have a Tupperware container that it goes in and I close it up. After the show, I dispose of the egg like Bill said. Bill is a true weath of knowledge.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote: I always take some paper towels with me, in case I get egg all over my hands during performance. Wet wipes is a good idea as well.

Alcohol wipes disappeared from store shelves after the pandemic hit back in March.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2020, John Vincelli wrote:
I'm just trying to look for the most convenient way possible to dump the egg after performance and I pack everything up. You gave me an idea though and I'll see if that works for me. Thanks for the response.

The easiest method is simply take some Zip Lock freezer bags with you, and pour the egg in the bag, then dump it a convenient waste can. Use on for the glass as well to take it home then wash the glass out.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2020, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote: I always take some paper towels with me, in case I get egg all over my hands during performance. Wet wipes is a good idea as well.

Alcohol wipes disappeared from store shelves after the pandemic hit back in March.

Well, yes, but most magic shows where this would be an issue also disappeared during the pandemic. If you happen to be one of those doing livestream video shows over Zoom where you perform from home you can just do the clean-up in your kitchen after the show is over. (And I have seen alcohol wipes back in stock in stores in my area.)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have a small glass dessert dish about 3" in diameter and 2" deep. I pour the egg into it and seal it. To transport the egg, I use a cake frosting container with paper towels inside to cushion it. On the outside of the container are the stick on dots I use. I cut mine from red electrical tape.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Use a large piece of plastic cling wrap and wrap it around the entire interior and most of the exterior of the glass FIRST, before the performance begins. Then just gather it around the broken egg and tie it up, afterwards.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I perform silk to Egg in numerous venues, in over 20 years Ive never had a problem getting rid of the egg shell & yolk after a corporate show.
If its a restaurant or a club or theatre or private residence, I just ask to use the bin in the kitchen, Ive never been to any venue where there is not a rubbish bin.
I wash the bowl used to break the egg in , wipe & clean with my tissues. I wrap the egg contents in the tissues and put that in the bin..easy.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd just flush the egg and wash the glass in the restroom.