The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Canadian Association of Magicians! :: Has anyone bought from magicshelf.ca? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Hey all,

I've come across this e-commerce website (magicshelf.ca) that's based in Canada and I want to order some stuff but the website hits a couple of red flags that I've noticed that make me question whether this is a legitimate business.

From what I've noticed cruising the website there are:
- obvious spelling mistakes ("Hunted Key") right on the home page banner
- their "Terms and Conditions" page is not finished and stuffed with filler content ("ipsum lorem..." generated filler)
- their "Privacy Policy" page generates a 404 error, which means they didn't even create the page but still linked it
- no physical address stated other than the city the business is supposedly in
- about page is extremely boiler plate. Doesn't provide any deep information about the business or people running the business.

Have any of you guys ordered from here and was the business legitimate?
magicshelf
View Profile
New user
Oakville, ON Canada
2 Posts

Profile of magicshelf
Hay,
Thank you for your post and questions, My name is Ibrahim "ia@magicshelf.ca" and I work with MagicShelf with my Friend Andrea "andrea@magicshelf.ca"

Even though we launched in April 2019 and we accept orders but we still doing our backend tweaking and developments to our website to bring a better shopping experience. We are still adding content to the site especially the pages you mentioned.

We are located in Oakville Ontario "1155 North Service Rd. W. Oakville ON" We are not open to public because we are a purely online business, We accept orders pickup by appointment only.
We are registered Canadian business "Federal Business# 890967003"

If you like to contact us directly for any other questions you can reach us at 1-877-416-1320

Have a good day,
MagicShelf.ca - Online Magic Shop
Oakville ON CANADA
Toll-Free: 1-877-416-1320
Email: secret@magicshelf.ca
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2020, magicshelf wrote:
Hay,
Thank you for your post and questions, My name is Ibrahim "ia@magicshelf.ca" and I work with MagicShelf with my Friend Andrea "andrea@magicshelf.ca"

Even though we launched in April 2019 and we accept orders but we still doing our backend tweaking and developments to our website to bring a better shopping experience. We are still adding content to the site especially the pages you mentioned.

We are located in Oakville Ontario "1155 North Service Rd. W. Oakville ON" We are not open to public because we are a purely online business, We accept orders pickup by appointment only.
We are registered Canadian business "Federal Business# 890967003"

If you like to contact us directly for any other questions you can reach us at 1-877-416-1320

Have a good day,

Excellent!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Do you actually carry stock or doing drop shipments from Murphys? Thanks,
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:

The company posted quite a bit about there business and included 3 different ways for you to contact them directly. Yet, you post this question??? Why does it matter if they drop ship or who there supplier is? Have you even visited there web site? They ship same day and offer free shipping in Canada for all orders over $40.00. Everyone knows Murphys, along with the other big names. If you prefer to buy from the big established dealers, great. But why throw shade on a small business. Most have to start small. Hopefully with good service they will be as big as Murphys one day.
magicshelf
View Profile
New user
Oakville, ON Canada
2 Posts

Profile of magicshelf
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:

Off-course we don't carry everything our suppliers carry, most of the time we receive shipments from our suppliers then ship them to our customer unless the customer requested next day delivery we do drop-ship. We do our best to buy any highly rated and discontinued products.

Soon we working on launching the Open-Box section to sell open-boxed playing cards, books, or gimmicks at discounted prices.
MagicShelf.ca - Online Magic Shop
Oakville ON CANADA
Toll-Free: 1-877-416-1320
Email: secret@magicshelf.ca
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Tim, not sure why you assume my inquiry is "shade" I work near their site and may be interested in picking up items if they have stock. Seemed like a simple question. Yes I have visited the site, since they posted here I asked a question.
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I am sorry... The most difficult thing about interacting online is hearing the "tone" of the conversation. I apologize for misunderstanding your intent and butting in. It is so challenging to make it out there right now that I became a bit too defensive of the small business.

I hesitated to post here at all... since I am not Canadian. But I like to check this area of the Café every so often because I am a big fan of Canada. Growing up in Detroit we would make the occasional trip through the tunnel or drive up to Port Huron and cross the Blue Water bridge. My church youth group used to regularly take a school bus load of us over to Mothers Pizza in Windsor. I can't even imagine doing that now-a-days. This was back in the days when we had true open borders. The last time I entered Canada, about 6 years ago at the Sault Ste. Marie crossing, the border agents were not very friendly. My family of 4 was heading to Killarney and then Killbear Park. The wife and I honeymooned for a week on Prince Edward Island, and I have had some very good Canadian friends. So it is fun to occasionally pop in and see what you guys are discussing.

I am usually pretty good at refraining from responding to something that perturbs me. Typing such opinions usually don't have the desired effect. So forgive me for breaking my rule and judging your motives. I am glad that you have found a new local source for magic.

Tim
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
No worries Tim. Hope you can come back soon. I grew up in Nova Scotia and now live outside Toronto. I hope things do improve... am itching to be able to go to the Magic Castle again.
RodneyJSmith
View Profile
New user
PEI, Canada
1 Post

Profile of RodneyJSmith
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:
No worries Tim. Hope you can come back soon. I grew up in Nova Scotia and now live outside Toronto. I hope things do improve... am itching to be able to go to the Magic Castle again.

Fellow Nova Scotian here. Since moved to PEI.

I've ordered from MagicShelf and been happy with the service. Everything arrived as ordered.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I don't think any magic store can carry the complete inventory of Murphy's Magic: Murphy's has close to 15,000 unique products! What most stores do (including my store) is to keep a basic inventory of popular items, and then upon receiving an order we import from Murphy's and then ship out to customers. But for specialty magic lines (such as Ellusionist, Magic Makers, E-Z Magic, etc), I keep real-time inventory on hand.
I used to have an actual store front, but no longer unfortunately. But I do hope to open up a brick and mortar in the future if conditions allow.

Todd
www.magicstore.ca
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of balzar
I had the pleasure of shopping at Todskys physical store in Montreal and I had an excellent experience. I hope the operation returns in a bricks and mortar incarnation in the near future.
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2020, Tim Snyder wrote:
....My family of 4 was heading to Killarney ....

The fish and chips at Herbert's are a destination unto themselves. They are magically good. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Smile
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
Just wanted to put my own experiences now that I've had a number of purchases made from MagicShelf since I posted this thread.

Great service. Every order was filled and shipped in a fast manner. I'm pretty satisfied.

Would recommend 👌.