The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Do you see what I see? :: I'm thinking of being a mime... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I think I want to look into being a mime. I'm already a street magician but I wanted to look into this. You know, being traped in a glass box, ect. Well if any of you have seen the Criss Angel supernatural show and you see him holding the brief case and he trys to walk off with it but the brief case won't move. Lol, I thought that was kind of neat. So I'm wondering:

1.) Are there any sites to see people doing professional clips on being a mime?

2.) Any books or videos I can get on how to be a mime?

Thanks,
Big k
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Big K,

I have 2 books on mime.
First is The Mime Book by Claude Kipnis and the second one is Mime Ministry by Susan K. Toomey.

Both are good, especially the first one.
You can peek inside both books at Amazon.com

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
Thank you for that information.

big k
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
There's a very good Mime video series available from Todd Farley at http://www.mimeistry.com/store.htm.

OliverTwist
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps out the window*

"A mime is terrible thing to lose."
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
LOL Astinus that was good.

big k
Josh Isenhardt
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Josh Isenhardt
I would give serious thought to being a professional mime before you attempt it. Out of all the things I've done professionally (magic, juggling, balloons, clowning, costumes, and of course mime) kids really have a sadistic tendancy toward mimes. I was once at a Barnes and Noble opening a few years ago and almost got overtaken by a dozen or so children. The parents just stood back and laughed. In my other experiences miming as gained the least respect out of any other profession. Just my two cents.
rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
I've seen the same phenomenon as Josh, though thankfully not as close! I’ve noticed derision of mimes in print, on film, and in person. I don’t really get it.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Woody Allen has an hilarious piece about mimes in one of his short stories books.

Anyway, you may find interesting “The Physical Comedy Handbook”, by Davis Rider Robinson.
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Mime Spoken Here The Performer’s Portable Workshop by Tony Montanaro. There are also some videos that go with the book, but I don't know if they are still around.

Also consider some classes or workshops on mime.

Chris
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Back in the 70's and 80's I went by

Mime over Matter.

Over time I dropped that title and the white face.

(I remember one show in the 80's I showed up in Green Face. Years before the blue group. It was for a Zuchinni Festival)

Although the white face is gone, the elements still are there especially in my pre-show work.

Check out the Kapootz Klowns if they put a workshop in your area. I went to one a few years ago. Boy was I sore for days after the work out.

I do what I call silent comedy with noises.(Harmonica, mosquito whistle, Roger Rabbit (PLEASSSSSSE) cartoonish words.....

For a while I was a mime/ventriloquist. Now that's a nearly normal combination.

When I lived in Reno, I had a towel rack for

HIS HERS AND MIME.

Enjoy

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Jeff McBride does a lot of mime movements in his magic. He recommends magicians getting "mime trained". Read books, watch videos, join a mime troupe! You can learn to mime to become a better perfomer overall. You don't need to get white faced and pretend you are in a box or pulling a rope to benefit. Your magic performance will be enhanced if you had a grasp on thinking and acting in mime.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Good Lord....WHY would anyone want to be a mime? I don't know how the negative stigma against them got started, but it's undeniable. Which for me is sad, because I've always enjoyed WATCHING mimes ) if theyre any good) I wonder if theyre revered in France?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
People have the negative reaction to mimes for the same reason as children's magicians...there are so many bad ones.

I have done magic, clowning and mime, and love all of them, but it is true..mimes are treated the worst and parents not only permit it, they encourage it.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
enchantress
View Profile
New user
The Golden State
12 Posts

Profile of enchantress
Mime is almost critical if you want to be good at contact juggling, slap stick, stunt work and other theatrical applications (like Hip-hop). Try to take a class even if you wouldn't be caught dead in traditional mime attire.
Personally, I'd love to see mime make a huge comeback. And shame on those parents who encourage hostility towards any type of performer. Sadly, you almost need a body guard if you are going to do mime out on the streets or anywhere people can get close enough to touch you.
Even so, I'm thinking of giving it another go after giving it up years ago (mainly because people expect it to be done by a skinny white guy).
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I'm both happy to say and ashamed to say I studied mime in the 70's. It really is a value to magicians because it makes you think about movement. Remember, if you become a mime you must claim to have studied under Marcel Marceau (sp?). Another thing, if you become a mime and you are suppose to meet up later with someone TELL THEM, don't act like you are in a freakin' box and not allowed to talk! I'm still mad about that freakin' mime girl doing that to me in '78.
Steve V
Pat Perry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Pat Perry
1.) Are there any sites to see people doing professional clips on being a mime?

Wonderful example of miming with a special touch:
http://www.lesbubb.com/