The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Sefalaljia Info? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Hello everyone,

I have many of the sources that contain routines or variation of Sefalaljia, including: The Jinx, My Best. The Essential Stewart James as well as the new Mark Strivings Booklet in the subject (which is great). My question is does the New Encyclopedic of Rope Magic have additional ideas and routines or are they re-publishing of other sources. I appreciate any insights.

Thank you!

Sean
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, most of the effects that have been added to the Sefalaljia routine, I notices are tricks / effects from other publications in magic. Usually from very old booklets. This is very evident as I built my library and compared the new ideas some magicians add to the Sefalaljia routine.

As the saying goes, we stand on the Giants that have gone before us.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can contact Greg Bordner at Abbott's Magic to find out it the Encyclopedia of Rope Magic has nay new material. Greg is the owner, and they have been republishing many of their books in perfect bound format in recent years. You can also look at their online catalog at www.abbottmagic.com .
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Bill,

Thank you kindly for the messages. I went ahead and purchased the book. I have the prior version of the book. It did not have the Sefalaljia chapter. It was worth checking out either way. I truly appreciate the kindness.

Best Regards,

Sean
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Waters.
For anyone who was interested, the answer was yes. There is Sefalaljia material in the “The Newly Expanded and Revised Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks” that I have not seen elsewhere. It is worth checking if you can find a copy.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2020, Waters. wrote:
For anyone who was interested, the answer was yes. There is Sefalaljia material in the “The Newly Expanded and Revised Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks” that I have not seen elsewhere. It is worth checking if you can find a copy.

My copy is dated 2005, and does not say "The Newly Expanded and Revised". Are you talking about a more recent version?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2020, John Long wrote:

My copy is dated 2005, and does not say "The Newly Expanded and Revised". Are you talking about a more recent version?
John

You made me go and find my 2005 copy and at first I didn't see "Newly Expanded and Revised" on the cover either... but then I looked closer. I bet that if you look at the bottom right corner of the cover you too will see in small print "Newly Expanded and Revised"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Yes.

I initially interpreted the post as indicating that the "Newly Expanded and Revised" phrase as being part of the title, not just a description.

Now back to magic..

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, Waters. wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have many of the sources that contain routines or variation of Sefalaljia, including: The Jinx, My Best. The Essential Stewart James as well as the new Mark Strivings Booklet in the subject (which is great). My question is does the New Encyclopedic of Rope Magic have additional ideas and routines or are they re-publishing of other sources. I appreciate any insights.

Thank you!

Sean

What is the name of the Mark Strivings booklet? Thank you.